1/35 Tamiya Wespe + a LOT of Extras

robw_uk

Ok, I must be bonkers trying this. I managed to get a Tamiya wespe + Aber PE + New Connections(?) barrel + ModelKasten tracks for all of £15 and decided to add Eduard PE in to the mix (it has some areas of PE that Aber dont).... This will be the most PE I have ever used and should really push me to try soldering (lots of duplication between the 2 PE sets for me to practice on as well ;-))... oh and any tips on how to keep track of what to replace with PE and when (the big stuff is obvious and the rest I was going to do as/when I approached its part in the Tamiya instructions)...

oh and I may add some extras of my own around the outside (some interesting photos have surfaced with boxes all over the place) 

so this is the whole bits n bobs...

dav-vivi.jpg

tamiya parts

IMG-20210326-161352.jpg

and the extras

IMG-20210326-161414.jpg

IMG-20210326-161435.jpg

wish me luck I am going in

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

That's a " Wow , nice one " Probably the best plastic tracks out there Rob 

will take my time with them then..... its all the PE that scares me (oh and the barrel doesn't have the muzzle so will need to take it off the kit - an odd choice perhaps)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nanond said:

Good start! I just finished mine and still have another one for a later time. I'll follow you with interest. There will be things I want to do better in my next Wespe.

Nanond

i will be following yours so dont follow me or we will go round in circles.... have 6 pieces to put on 2 other models tomorrow then will start this - probably with the upper hull as I think that will ease me in to some of the PE...

40 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Another interesting project Rob, I'll follow along if I may?

Stay safe              Roger

by my guest, we will soon be able to snuggle up watching model building

• Like 1

Started with the easy stuff (plus folding the first aid kit). Eduard only so far but Aber do have some bits on the gun that I will use. And it looks like the kit comes with 2 spare wheels (I assume the wheel frets are from the normal PzII kit that does have spares mounted) so will build one with a spare mounted on the hull armour plate and with oil cans hanging form the sides

IMG-20210327-164633.jpg

IMG-20210327-164655.jpg

• Like 8

Just now, WYATT said:

I think the only way to go is to have a crack at it, looks an interesting build :D 

thats how I usually go... my biggest worry are the ammo racks but luckily Eduard have them as one piece (Aber would have you solder the front to the case) but will use solder on them... 

1 minute ago, robw_uk said:

thats how I usually go... my biggest worry are the ammo racks but luckily Eduard have them as one piece (Aber would have you solder the front to the case) but will use solder on them... 

I do prefer 1 piece over multiple in PE as I think it gives you alittle more "wiggle" room when you are bending it into shape, once its soldered then its abit of a bugger to take apart

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

started on the left hand interior... bit of filling, some photo etch. Need to do the 2 ammo boxes and then look at the radio

IMG-20210409-175653.jpg

IMG-20210409-175641.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

more progress on the interior. Need to build the 4 ammo cases (soldering) and the other 2 boxes for the right hand side as well as try to work out what to do with the radio. Have also started on the gun (nice metal barrel) and the very nice ModelKasten tracks (all clicked together firmly so far)

IMG-20210424-170004.jpg

IMG-20210424-165957.jpg

IMG-20210424-165951.jpg

IMG-20210424-172254.jpg

IMG-20210424-172231.jpg

IMG-20210424-173102.jpg

• Like 10

Nice work @robw_uk.

I did something similar a while ago but used Bronco Panzer II 'workable' tracks, 'Workable' was a very misleading term - 'fall apartable' would have been more appropriate.

Your MK tracks look to be a whole lot better

• Like 1