Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing 5th overall of Mille Miglia 1955 edition, driven by John Fitch (based on Tamiya Kit 1:24 scale): FINISHED !

Good afternoon everyone :)

As promised, and considering @ejboyd5 suggestion, I'm starting today the second build of this kit, modifying it a bit to represent the car driven by John Fitch during the 1955 edition of famous Mille Miglia between Roma and Brescia.

All of us know that the overall winner of this race, in all categories, was Sir Stirling Moss, driving a Mercedes Benz 300 SLR, and that  the second place went to Juan Manuel Fangio, driving him, too, a Mercedes 300 SLR.

Only a few know that John Fitch won the race fort its category (GT cars over 1.3 liter), driving a non enhanced MB 300 SL, exactly as it was once produced, at the average speed of 160 km/h (approx. 100 mph), what was incredible in this era.

The car started the race on April 30th, crossing the start line at the pre-determined time of 4:17 am, what explain it got the number 417 (Sir Stirling Moss started at 7:22 am, getting 722 number)

For this race, the front bumper had been removed and a kind of deflector  had been fixed over the bonnet

51073624601_ec47f6d1d4_b.jpg

The body was graphite grey (DB 190)  and the interior blue tartan for seats, and dark blue for lining and covering. The car had Rudge wheels option.

51004445305_45f9cee48e_b.jpg     

51073624521_93d86fb4c8_b.jpg

Well, I'm of course going to take account of all my previous mistakes and defects, intending to build a better model than the previous one.

It will be built 100% OOB 🤥🤥....except needed modifications to represent the real race car....However it is greatly possible that my fingers would twitch and that I would scratch some additional parts here and there, only where It's visible, and only to be closer to the real car in order to pay homage to its fabulous engine and stunning bodywork .

The underbody will be removable, allowing to inspect all the mechanical organs of the beast.

I've probably to buy a color inkjet printer and decal sheets, because it's impossible to find the special lettering for its race numbers.

Wish me luck, guys, and thanks for watching and criticizing :)

• Like 10

• CrazyCrank changed the title to Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing Fifth overall of Mille Miglia 1955 edition, driven by John Fitch, based on Tamiya Kit 1:24 scale

God evening Gentlemen :)

Well, the first part of the car, the tubular frame ("bird cage") is achieved.

Of course, I've added a few parts, as for the first MB, in order to enhance the model and match closely with the real. 😉

So, instead of 12 parts OOB, we have now, for the same 2 steps of the instructions,  41 parts 😲

Contrary to the first time, I didn't want to use pieces of brass rod and CA gel, only plastic;

As I haven't I my workshop, 1.0 mm, 0.8 mm, neither 1.2 mm styrene rod, I've scratched almost all the 29 additional parts using what I have in the kit: the plastic of the sprues !

Of course, it has been stretched using the heat of my Proton torch, and then the lengths have been adjusted according to needs of use

The only 3 parts I haven't scratched have been 3D printed.

Now the frame has received its first coat of primer and here is the result, neat and rather nice :)

51005404580_fb0c42dd24_b.jpg   51074685787_3410fc270b_b.jpg

51074685752_9c6dee5324_b.jpg   51074580651_5fa2149ec0_b.jpg

51005404570_f6f8ef5f8a_b.jpg   

51005404560_41414d3a6a_b.jpg   51074685812_b7353d94b7_b.jpg

Stay tuned for next steps 🤔

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good evening chaps :)

You said "Rudge Wheels" ?

For the fun, hereunder  the pics of Authentic MB 300 SL Rudge Wheels (and their Knock-offs) , that have been sold for the ridiculous price of 46800 $  during an auction at Sotheby's:

51079962041_b18a96631a_h.jpg

And another one, color MB  ivory (really nice) , sold for 71500 $ (in  1955, the option Rudge Wheels for a MB 300 SL, cost approx. 6% of the car's price !)

51080067112_8191588b2b_h.jpg

My first kit has been enhanced and modified with PE parts. And particularly, I've added the ones that modify the factory standard Tamiya wheels into Rudge wheels

This time, for the second kit, I've not purchased the PE upgrading set (which cannot be found on the Net, furthermore)

So, I've to fabricate the parts by myself.....let's go for a Fusion 360 session !

51079254558_cf5a16c6e8_h.jpg

51080041962_7bb5e6f47e_h.jpg

The following part will be glued on the Tamiya wheels, in order to transform them in Rudge wheels

51079254598_7f3ec80f11_h.jpg

And this one will be put on the previous one, this is the knock-off nut:

51080041947_56b91b734d_h.jpg

I've now to 3D print them, and make test-fits to verify the proportions of the stuff

Stay tunes if you like :)

• Like 6

Nice subject, I’ll follow too if I may.

Your posting this one in your last 300SL build piqued my interest so I googled this one too.

I am concerned that those last two colour photos are from more recent times, not from the period, which begs the question - is this the real car or a replica? It also appears to have been marked up with markings that don’t appear to be on the original car, as per the b/w photo you posted.

Good pick up on the deflector! They always have to add something that we modellers don’t get in the kit, don’t they. :(

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Nice subject, I’ll follow too if I may.

Your posting this one in your last 300SL build piqued my interest so I googled this one too.

I am concerned that those last two colour photos are from more recent times, not from the period, which begs the question - is this the real car or a replica? It also appears to have been marked up with markings that don’t appear to be on the original car, as per the b/w photo you posted.

Good pick up on the deflector! They always have to add something that we modellers don’t get in the kit, don’t they. :(

Yes, it is a replica of the original n° 417, if Im' to believe what is written in This press report

The colored pictures above have been taken during 2019 Mille Miglia edition.

This replica participated too en 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm waiting for the delivery of some orders I made on  different websites:

- Gravity Color Graphite Grey, from Spain

- Gravity color Adriatic Blue Leather Focus Paint Set for the interior, from Spain

- Decal sheet for the Tartan blue upholstery of the seats, this stuff ordered in Deutschland

- And a lot of braided hoses , of various diameters for the engine, from Czech Republica

Meanwhile, I've progressed a little bit on the frame, that I've painted semi-gloss black, instead of gloss black, as mention Tamiya instructions.

Indeed,  the paint of mechanical parts of a car that have raced 1000 milles on dusty roads, cannot in any circumstances  have kept its shiny factory appearance.

It remains to give it a  coat of semi gloss clear to protect the paint, and the chassis assembly could begin.

51082151866_24c7c26913_b.jpg   51081457123_5d88a07715_b.jpg

50997229614_78957ff0a7_b.jpg

This night, wheel additions and knock-off nuts will be 3D printed, as well as the injection pump and other stuffs.

Stay tuned for next steps 😉

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

I see Historic Racing Miniatures did a set of 1/24 Rudge wheels with tyres, but these are no longer available? Are Historic Racing Miniatures still in business?

I don't know .

Never mind since I'e created with Fusion 360 (see above) the parts I've to had to the Tamiya kit's wheels to transform them into convincing Rudge wheels :)

You must not believe that I'm twiddling my thumbs !

Although I'm retired since 01/01, I'm a very busy man: between the garden work, the house maintenance, and all the administrative work I've still to do after having stopped my activity, days don't have hours enough !

Nevertheless, I've done a bit of progress today on this car:

- the parts which will be added to the wheels to transform them into Rudge wheels are printed (3 hours)

- and the printing of Knock-off nuts is quite finished (3.5 hours)

- I've also sprayed a semi-gloss clear coat upon the frame and other stuffs (5')

Hereunder a dry fit of a center part of the wheel over a wheel to get an idea of the future result, once glued and painted :

50999373174_90971b321c_b.jpg   51084392182_df9210aeb8_b.jpg

50999373169_8219a5cd8a_b.jpg

Stay tuned if you like 😉

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

I think their going to be more accurate than the photoetch on the last one.  - Andy 

You're right Andy :)

50999845284_a62a5b62c6_b.jpg   51084866477_3e0abf677e_b.jpg

51084866472_7565d2ea37_b.jpg

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 7

Well, at this scale, tou can see that nothing can be seen.

I mean...all the details I've drawn with Fusion, cannot be seen after 3D printing, except MB 3 point star emblem

It's a shame, considering all the time I spent to draw the nuts:

51084796131_9496d04775_b.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 2

Good morning Gentlemen :)

Today, I've received the decal sheet from Blue stuff.

The 4 left ones will be used to simulated the tartan fabric used on this 417 Mille Miglia MB300 SL

51000843299_68a9b1f450_b.jpg

I've  also sprayed a primer coat over the Knock-off nuts, to get an idea of what would result after painting, and....wow, all the details are visible...with a strong magnifier of course

51016587415_b60e07142d_b.jpg

You can see easily the MB emblem (3 points star), but also the inscription ("MERCEDES" and "BENZ") around the logo, and the inscription ST (and AB if you believe me), at the end of each wing of the nut, as on the original real part

I'm quite happy with this result... at the moment, because I don't know what would remain visible after a gloss black coat, and then a chrome coat...wait and see 😎

• Like 9

That is impressive, I can see ST, even if it is upside down and I'm willing to believe that "MERCEDES" and "BENZ" are visible around the three-pointed star.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

I'm quite happy with this result... at the moment, because I don't know what would remain visible after a gloss black coat, and then a chrome coat...wait and see 😎

I was following your first build of the 300 SL and will be following the new one just to see what can be made out of this kit and maybe get some inspiration for my build (which will start somewhen in near or not so near future ;) ).

If you chrome your knock-off nuts with Molotow Liquid Chrome you could do without priming it glossy black first. So the risk of hiding all those details could be minimized.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, harti20 said:

I was following your first build of the 300 SL and will be following the new one just to see what can be made out of this kit and maybe get some inspiration for my build (which will start somewhen in near or not so near future ;) ).

If you chrome your knock-off nuts with Molotow Liquid Chrome you could do without priming it glossy black first. So the risk of hiding all those details could be minimized.

Absolutely, BUT, due to the great weakness of Molotov chrome, even after a long curing period, this will be done after the glueing of the nuts in place, only right to the end of the entire build, just before putting the car in it showcase.

Good morning gentlemen :)

After a short progress report on the DELAHAYE, dome news now for  the Mille Miglia 1955 MB 300 SL.

- The chassis is done

- I've received my paints from Spain

- I'm waiting for the delivery of braided hoses, in order to improve the engine.

Regarding the engine:

- I've printed a new injection pump

- I've to scratch on the lathe, the shaft which goes from injection pump to oil pump

- And I've drawn on Fusion 360 this famous oil pump, which is not provided by Tamiya !

On the photos below, on the left the genuine MB part, and on the right my interpretation (5 mm height, 3 thick and 4 width at 1:24)

51090108120_9da42168fc_b.jpg   51089377704_03a25a1ff1_b.jpg

I've also drawn on Fusion a replacement part for the hood: the ventilation grill (what I suppose to be a ventilation grill)

On the real car , it has 16 strips, and the Tamiya part only 13, so, too much inaccurate for me, especially if you remember that the attention will be grabbed  to this part of the hood, because of the addition of the deflector.

51089392312_8eee2d18c9_b.jpg

This project will be printed tonight or tomorrow because Delahaye's wheels are currently printing and need 8 hours more !

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 4

Good afternoon guys :)

Well the first print of the oil pump wasn't correct because the holes I've drained on both ends haven't be printed correctly, and furthermore, the body of this pump was too small.

So, some corrections occurred on the 3D Fusion file, as well on the Chitubox files

My last print yesterday evening has been successful, since over 8 items of the pump, 6 are perfect 😎 and the best of them will be glued on the engine block

51091568536_f0917d8907_b.jpg   51091646659_840de743df_b.jpg[

Regarding the ventilation grill,  I've printed 16 items, 4 have failed, 1. has a very little defect (an end on 1 strip is not large enough, see pictures below) and the 11 others are excellent.

Why so much items  ?...because they are very fragile, and it's more than likely than several of them would finish their life in the trash, even if I handle  them thoroughly ☹️

51092112063_d07f6af1f1_b.jpg

Still waiting for the delivery of my Czech order, no progress can be done on the engine.

Stay tuned if you like 😎

• Like 9