Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing 5th overall of Mille Miglia 1955 edition, driven by John Fitch (based on Tamiya Kit 1:24 scale): FINISHED !

Morning chaps :)

In day light, even if there's no sun, the dash looks far better:

51206042281_c3e0f6752e_b.jpg

Of course, there's some imperfections, some micro-scratches, and on the centre of the wheel hub, it's not a reflect onto the MB star, but micro-bubbles in the resin, that spoil the job 😡

Anyway, with the naked eye, the dash is 4 times smaller than on this photo, and it looks rather good.

Theoretically, it should be possible to remove the top coat of the resin with an X-axto and re-do the resin coating, but I don't want risking to do more harm than good, now that the steering wheel is glued on the dash, and difficult to handle carefully.

Today, I expect to finish the interior, with the installation of the lateral rail on the rear shelf, nd of the handles at both ends of the dash.

Stay tuned if you like 😎

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Kodiopa said:

You're making a 300sl masterpiece. Awesome!
I really envy your 3D printing work. 😆

A bit late, but I don't wish to forget to thank you for your very kind word, much appreciated :)

Good morning gentlemen :)

Interior is finished:

51206724082_56352f6d6f_b.jpg   51206724077_5e72d1433e_b.jpg

51207638483_369084ce8d_b.jpg   51208502325_57c5e29fa7_b.jpg

51207435571_9bbbf6a115_k.jpg

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm happy with such a final result 🤔

I't now time for going on the body shell, stay tuned for next steps 😎

• Like 13

12 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Good morning gentlemen :)

Interior is finished:

It looks stunning, I think the tartan cloth seats on 300SLs are more interesting to look at than representations of leather seats.

12 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm happy with such a final result 🤔

I't now time for going on the body shell, stay tuned for next steps 😎

You should be proud of the result.  I look forward to seeing the body shell.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnlambert said:

It looks stunning, I think the tartan cloth seats on 300SLs are more interesting to look at than representations of leather seats.

You should be proud of the result.  I look forward to seeing the body shell.

Thanks for those kind word, John :)

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

You should be proud of it, it's gorgeous! 

Ian

Thanks a lot for this kind critic, much appreciated :)

• Thanks 1

Afternoon chaps :)

The painting job progresses :

Body shell and doors have received their final Graphite Grey base coat and are ready for clear.

The bonnet gave me a lot of problems:

- 1/  first, as I had drilled 2 center holes for the deflector struts at a wrong location, I drilled 2 new holes correctly, and filled the wrong ones with Tamiya putty...1...2....3....4....5 times, until nothing remain visible after 24 hours dying.

I sprayed then primer on the bonnets, 3 coats, and inspected the surface after 24 hours drying. Nothing, really nothing remained visible ... I was happy :)

But, after having sprayed the basecoat, the two bad holes reappeared, maliciously , not to say viciously 😡

I stripped out the paint and redid the job, 4 times, with the same result at each time !

Fortunately, the 2 bad holes will be hidden by the strut shadow and the deflector 🤔  Cold comfort 🥴

51214940267_c15893a302_b.jpg

- 2/ I noticed on the bonnet, 2 deep scratches that appeared only after the last layer of primer (the 5th attempt of priming)  has dried 

I stripped out again the primer, sanded again the bonnet, verified the surface, and didn't see them... I was happy :)

So, I primed for the 6th time my bonnet, didn't see the scratches anymore after drying....I was....worry 🤐

Obviously, the devil was there, and when I wet sanded yesterday evening the primer to smoothing the surface before painting, those (censored) scratches reappeared !

They are only visible at an angle, of course, but, obviously, I see only them !

51214940287_3317293fdd_b.jpg

However, I've not planned to start again this job. The bonnet will stay as it is actually, with the exception of a little sanding (Alclad Mesh 4000-6000-8000) to remove the slight orange peel aspect.

At the moment, that's where I am:

51214803302_943937da3b_b.jpg   51214803307_92d69076bc_b.jpg

51216590030_9010e1df9e_b.jpg   51215731953_4b0e7fe23c_b.jpg

51214803337_43f5e27537_b.jpg   51215521201_54475d7abd_b.jpg

I showed you these imperfections because nothing can hide the facts and we have to face the truth :)

Don't worry guys, Ive not planned to follow the example of the well know French club cooker Vatel, I can live with that 🤔

• Like 5

Morning chaps :)

I've slept on it, and in fact, had a poor sleep 😒

I thought yesterday that I could live with my bonnet's imperfections, but I was wrong !

As I'm probably as perfectionist as is @Totally Mad Olivier, I've decided this morning., despite everything I wrote yesterday , to redo the painting job, once again.

First, I've sanded the bonnet, where there was scratches and other imperfections, with Tamiya 400 grit sponge, then 1000, then 2000, then 3000, until they disappear, not only at the naked eye, but under magnifying glasses well.

Second, I've applied a light coat of Tamiya Liquid surface primer white, with a brush, on the area where there were scratches, let the coat dry, and then sanded again, until nothing remain visible under magnifying glasses.

Third,  I've sprayed Zero paints grey primer in thin layers,  until I get an even surface on the entire bonnet.

At the moment, that is where I am:

51216473152_bb010e4145_b.jpg   51218255770_6b493e5c5f_b.jpg

51217396908_968fea1829_b.jpg

As you can see, nothing visible, as it was already the case at the naked eye after my previous attempts...(I hadn't verified under magnifying glasses)

Hopefully, when I have smoothed the surface with Alclad Mesh 4000/6000/8000, the scratches and other stuff will have disappeared

Otherwise, I might consider Vatel's solution 🤪, or buy another kit 🤔, or leave is as is, probably the most reasonable solution :)

Stay tuned for next misadventures :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, this time it seems that Gods of painting have been favorable to me 😎

Hereunder what I just got after slight wet sanding until 8000 grits:

51217328561_70dd503f8b_b.jpg

The 5 tiny white dots you see on a diagonal and the one you can see at the right front are not the white plastic of the bonnet neither dust particles, but imho micro particles of primer that have a white color :

51216645467_e45a6e1498_b.jpg   51217362341_5be22990d9_b.jpg

51217571633_1198d37222_b.jpg

We will know soon, but logically and hopefully,  it should not be seen after painting ...wait and see :)

• Like 4

Good afternoon, chaps :)

SUCCESSFULL 👍

Admittedly, I've got a slight orange peel effect (widely accentuated by my iPhone's camera), which will easy to remove with a slight sanding, however , all imperfections entirely disappear 😎, and that's a great new :)

51218724119_fdac6b3b56_b.jpg   51218171078_05dac0e40b_b.jpg

51217960891_c23d2ee23f_b.jpg

Don't take in account the dust particles you can here and there, they aren't stuck on the paint, since they have been removed while simply blowing bonnet's surface

Well, I let the paint curing and drying in depth for several days before considering to clear coat the bodywork.

Meanwhile, I'm going to work on the homemade decals...

See you later :)

• Like 8

Hi everyone again :)

First quick dry fit for the decals on the bonnet, one door, and the trunk lid, with a template printed with a Laser printer.

51218336113_44670abb39_b.jpg   51217411517_7636538326_b.jpg

51217411522_fd39e8bd97_b.jpg

The numerals 1 and 7 particulalrly will be less spaced than on this pattern. An the numeral 1 needs to be slightly modified.

Furthermore, I've printed the numerals in size 40 and Bold. Those parameters need a slight adjustment to match better with the truth.

The fonts used are quite similar and their height and the global width seem OK if you compare with this original photo:

51186167772_a46dd8671b_b.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll make a new dry fit with the numerals cut separately to get a better idea of the result, and adjust if needed some printing parameters.

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 4

I love that photo of John Fitch sitting on the door sill, he just looks so stylish (as does the SL).

More importantly I admire your effort with the bonnet, there are few things more frustrating than trying to get body imperfections not to show through paint.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I love that photo of John Fitch sitting on the door sill, he just looks so stylish (as does the SL).

More importantly I admire your effort with the bonnet, there are few things more frustrating than trying to get body imperfections not to show through paint.

Thanks a lot John for your comment

Regarding John Fitch attitude, I would say "He just looks so British !", what is frankly strange for an American !.

I do love too this picture, and particularly because he looks so confident, so relaxed, so phlegmatic, as he already knew he would win the race 😎

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

Original documentation fails to discuss how many times the racing shop drilled mounting holes in the hood before they got it right.

Excellent Edward  👍 serves me right !

Morning gentlemen :)

First quick try with roughly cut out numerals, placed on the bonnet:

51219836271_c70a9a046c_b.jpg

I think they should be a bit bigger to be more accurate, don't you agree ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Personally Thierry...size is only very slightly off to my eye (a minimal increase in size maybe)...other than that...they look to need a more 'rounded' aspect...which font are you using?

Ron

They are rather rounded but my cut off was very rough, particularly for the "1"...

To get an idea, just take a look at the comparative pictures I posted yesterday evening.

I've used 2 rounded fonts: 

- Robaga typo rounded for "4" and "7"

- Robaga Typo Grotesk for "1"

Nethertheless, I can go on my quest for more rounded fonts...

however, @ejboyd5 told me by PM that it's a waste of time to search for an adequate font, since these numerals were hand painted

If you get a better idea, I'm more than interested

8 minutes ago, Michael Church said:

I think you're right that the numbers could be very slightly larger, or possibly thicker. And maybe nudged a little closer to the front of the car? In any case, it's a spectacular build and great to watch coming together.

Thanks for the critic and for the kind words, much appreciated :)

8 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

They are rather rounded but my cut off was very rough, particularly for the "1"...

To get an idea, just take a look at the comparative pictures I posted yesterday evening.

I've used 2 rounded fonts: 

- Robaga typo rounded for "4" and "7"

- Robaga Typo Grotesk for "1"

Nethertheless, I can go on my quest for more rounded fonts...

however, @ejboyd5 told me by PM that it's a waste of time to search for an adequate font, since these numerals were hand painted

If you get a better idea, I'm more than interested

Thanks for the critic and for the kind words, much appreciated :)

If you are running a Window's PC...have a look in your fonts folder for 'Harlow Solid Semi Expanded'...to my tired old eyes it looks a good replica of the hand painted numeral's in your ref pic.

Ron

5 hours ago, silver911 said:

nd, 

If you are running a Window's PC...have a look in your fonts folder for 'Harlow Solid Semi Expanded'...to my tired old eyes it looks a good replica of the hand painted numeral's in your ref pic.

Ron

I run a Mac but have Windows in a virtual machine

Harlow Solid semi-expanded is only available in italic to my knowledge, after having searched with google, and it is not convenient for my purpose.

And I've verified on my wife's PC: Windows 10 is provided with Harlow solid semi expanded, but italic only.

if you know how I could get this font in regular mode, I'm very interested, of course

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

I run a Mac but have Windows in a virtual machine

Harlow Solid semi-expanded is only available in italic to my knowledge, after having searched with google, and it is not convenient for my purpose.

And I've verified on my wife's PC: Windows 10 is provided with Harlow solid semi expanded, but italic only.

if you know how I could get this font in regular mode, I'm very interested, of course

You are right in your finding...'Italic' only...my bad !

Had a play with it in Photoshop...not sure if it's of any use.....

Thierry.jpg

Will keep looking through the 2000 fonts I have...may take a while though!

Ron

9 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

First quick try with roughly cut out numerals, placed on the bonnet:

I think they should be a bit bigger to be more accurate, don't you agree ?

Yes, I would agree with you. Maybe about 20% larger? The shape of the numerals looks pretty good to meso I'd say you're pretty much there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1