Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing 5th overall of Mille Miglia 1955 edition, driven by John Fitch (based on Tamiya Kit 1:24 scale): FINISHED !

And, in the half-light....

51356721977_1b5c93e671_b.jpg   51356721972_ef9b4e0109_b.jpg

I could notice a very little defect of BMF chrome on the rear of the right door window, what I'm going to fix quickly :)

Done:

51358234224_695102a2c3_b.jpg

What you can't see with the naked eye is that each chrome surround, whether for the doors, windscreen or rear window, had to be made from several sections of BMF Chrome.

Indeed, I didn't have enough BMF to cut parts that cover the element to be chromed in one go, and it's currently very difficult to get some in France.

I had to settle for this shaky solution, which obviously gives a less good result because it's difficult to totally blur the places where the BMF sections overlap.

Nevertheless, I'm very happy with the result :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Very nice bmf work. Finally managed to get hold of some so looking forward to trying it out. I'll be very pleased if I can get near your finish.

Nick

Let's see what I've just posted above :)

1 hour ago, ejboyd5 said:

417's right window frame hit by rock while leaving Brescia. That's your story.  Stick with it.

Thanks for the info, @ejboyd5, even if it occurs too late ! windows are finished and assembled on the bodywork

For my education, does it concern the right DOOR window frame, or the rear right window frame ?

As the job's done for all windows but windshield and rear window, I'm going to consider that my car is exhibited as it was after the race, right window frame just repaired :)

So today work:

- Rear lateral windows trims chromed, and windows put in place

- Inside of the doors achieved, except the mechanism which maintain them lifted when doors are opened

51359419841_20294b94df_b.jpg   51358670597_94ac134990_b.jpg

51359641453_ac0f750f75_b.jpg   51358672662_9f2eb02493_b.jpg

The headliner has been painted light blue, a liberty that I've taken, but which I'm finally not very happy with !

Possibly, I'll redo the job, using either light beige or light grey ?

If @ejboyd5 knows the exact color of the headliner, I would be happy if he shares the info with me 🤔

• Like 5

I can relate to the difficulty getting hold of BMF here too - it seemed to take about 6 months for some to show up so I snapped it up when I got the chance. Now all I have to do is learn how to use the stuff, and looking at what you've done here will help. Good to know that it is possible to get away with overlaps too, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed them on this build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

I can relate to the difficulty getting hold of BMF here too - it seemed to take about 6 months for some to show up so I snapped it up when I got the chance. Now all I have to do is learn how to use the stuff, and looking at what you've done here will help. Good to know that it is possible to get away with overlaps too, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed them on this build.

Thanks Spiny for the huge compliment.

There is tons of videos on YouTube to help you, as this one or (and) that one

Enjoy :)

A chance meeting with a rock outside of Brescia is a plausible explanation for your BMF problem, no matter how apocryphal that might be.  All 300 SL Coupes with the L1 blue plaid/blue vinyl interiors were trimmed with a light gray headliner.  I do not know of any cars that came from the factory with other than light gray or beige headlining.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

A chance meeting with a rock outside of Brescia is a plausible explanation for your BMF problem, no matter how apocryphal that might be.  All 300 SL Coupes with the L1 blue plaid/blue vinyl interiors were trimmed with a light gray headliner.  I do not know of any cars that came from the factory with other than light gray or beige headlining.

Thanks so much for this explanation and the info 😉

Evening gentlemen :)

Today I've redone the paint of the headliner for doors and cabin as well, using a homemade light grey, produced with Tamiya white and Tamiya light grey :

51364139999_d86591ebe1_b.jpg   51363404806_9f4d656b84_b.jpg

I've also progressed a bit on the third engine, scratching, another time, the fuel injection plumbing

Injectors in place on the engine block: (sorry for the blurry picture)

51363614618_3e0e173206_b.jpg

Plumbing:

51362676837_cbfe8c3b3d_b.jpg

I'm going to work a bit more, if possible, on this beauty, but you've to know that I leave France next Friday for a 2 months stay in Canada, precisely in Montreal where live my younger son, his wife and my grandson Mikaël, whom I have never seen other than on video since his birth in January.

Obviously, there will be no modeling there, and I'll resume my 2 WIP at the end of October :)

• Like 9

Here's more info on headlining than you'll ever need or want:

If your car was built in March, 1955, or earlier, it very likely had cloth (wool) headlining material that started at the top of the instrument panel or bottom of the windows and covered the entire upper half of the interior. This was not the most practical design in that every time someone climbed in or out of the car there was a tendency to grab the window post and leave dirty fingerprints on the headlining, which was not easy to clean.  By July of '55 the factory decided to cover the vertical posts at each door with leather (or vinyl) for more durability. However, the headlining on all cars covers the window post on each side of the rear windshield remained as before. At any areas where cloth headlining and leather/vinyl meet, the cloth should always overlap on top of the leather/vinyl.

Since "417" participated in the 1955 Mille Miglia held on April 30/May 1, it seem almost a certainty that  A and B pillars would have had fabric headlining extending to the top of the dashboard and the lower edge of the quarter windows. Hence a small extension for your headlining on those pillars, the pillars on both sides of the rear window and on the doors would appear warranted.  BTW, the gray color appears right on.

Edited by ejboyd5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

Here's more info on headlining than you'll ever need or want:

If your car was built in March, 1955, or earlier, it very likely had cloth (wool) headlining material that started at the top of the instrument panel or bottom of the windows and covered the entire upper half of the interior. This was not the most practical design in that every time someone climbed in or out of the car there was a tendency to grab the window post and leave dirty fingerprints on the headlining, which was not easy to clean.  By July of '55 the factory decided to cover the vertical posts at each door with leather (or vinyl) for more durability. However, the headlining on all cars covers the window post on each side of the rear windshield remained as before. At any areas where cloth headlining and leather/vinyl meet, the cloth should always overlap on top of the leather/vinyl.

Since "417" participated in the 1955 Mille Miglia held on April 30/May 1, it seem almost a certainty that  A and B pillars would have had fabric headlining extending to the top of the dashboard and the lower edge of the quarter windows. Hence a small extension for your headlining on those pillars, the pillars on both sides of the rear window and on the doors would appear warranted.  BTW, the gray color appears right on.

Corrections done on the headliner on doors and pillars !

Evening guys :)

Slowly but surely the car take shape:

- I've placed and glued carefully the windshield and rear window

- Doors are now fixed to the body and liftable .

- The bonnet is placed but not already glued...I've several controls to do before that.

51370408958_328d4cf9b6_b.jpg   51371187325_8722d7040b_b.jpg

The third chassis, precisely the one that will be used for this 417 Mille Miglia MB, is on the way.

As I've accumulated a bit of experience with the 2 first chassis, this one is already much better assembled.

51371187485_1231500faa_b.jpg   51370409133_b29a0902bc_b.jpg

51370409118_b166ba8c2c_b.jpg

Of course, this project won't be achieved on next Thursday evening, just before I move to Canada, so, you'll have to wait my come back at the end of October to see this build progressing more.

To be continued :)

• Like 5

Good afternoon, guis :)

This is likely my last post before my departure to Canada tomorrow morning.

Today, I've quite finished the third chassis, which will be used for this 417 Mille Miglia MB.

I say "quite" because it remains to place the water duct which join the cooling water canister (on the right rear of the engine bay) to the radiator.

This important part will be placed only after I've put the bodywork on the chassis,...it need to be adjusted in order avoiding a closing issue for the bonnet !

I can't resist the pleasure to show you some pictures:

51373480186_1d5dbc5dbf_b.jpg   51374486000_bd7b7e4329_b.jpg

51374214299_8d2f49b9ea_b.jpg   51373711393_2dd4e6424b_b.jpg

Which one is the second and which one is the third chassis ?

51372721067_c0ea10e5a2_b.jpg  51372721097_c08a0da669_b.jpg

51373711383_607d977292_b.jpg  51372721072_5ede6712f2_b.jpg

51372721122_f06d48325b_b.jpg

The second chassis will be exhibited as is near the 417 MB in the same showcase.

As it will be a naked chassis, I've planned to add to the tubular frame some missing parts, which I've not implemented in the third chassis because they wouldn't be visible.

But it's another story ;)

So, see you as soon as possible, thanks a lot for your encouragements and for watching :)

• Like 9

What a wonderful build! Particularly love the naked chassis with the plaid seats, the colors and details just look so “right”. I built this kit a few years ago, it was pretty much Tamiya perfect but you are taking it to a significantly higher level. I may just have to build another one of these!

Nice to hear you will be able to travel to Canada to meet your new grandson. Wishing you safe travels and a happy break from the bench. Thank you for documenting and posting your fabulous build.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

What a wonderful build! Particularly love the naked chassis with the plaid seats, the colors and details just look so “right”. I built this kit a few years ago, it was pretty much Tamiya perfect but you are taking it to a significantly higher level. I may just have to build another one of these!

Nice to hear you will be able to travel to Canada to meet your new grandson. Wishing you safe travels and a happy break from the bench. Thank you for documenting and posting your fabulous build.

Thank you so much for this huuuuge comment, John (I suppose) ! Very much appreciated, as always 😎

I did my best with this one, but I haven't reached the level of quality I aspire to, especially for the bodywork varnish .

Nevertheless, I think my skills grew up a bit, in the course of my successive builds.

It's always a pleasure to share with other modelers :)

• 2 months later...

Evening gentlemen :)

Happy to be back to the bench after a 2 months and a half break.

As did @Totally Mad Olivier, I've watched with great interest Barbatos Rex tutos on Youtube, and have been seduced by his use of Pledge Floor Gloss (previously called FUTURE), a Johnson's brand product, to clear coating his models.

When he compares this tuff with great clear brands, like ZP 2K Clear etc, he says that Pledge Floor Gloss is the poor man's 2K Clear !

Unfortunately, this product isn't available in France, can be imported from UK, but for an insane price, without speaking about shipment price and other fees.

Nevertheless, I've easily found it in Canada (rather cheap  (24 CAD, so 18 euros for 860 cc) and tonight I've made a quick test, only to see if it deserves the high praises it got !

So, I've sprayed it without taking particular precautions to avoid dust spoiling etc, on the broken bonnet of this MB 300 SL, following Barbatos's advices: sprayed at 20 PSI, several light coats and a mist coat, then a quick wet coat.

Once that done, I was first disappointed by a slight orange peel aspect that I didn't expected with a so thin fluid....

BUT, once partially cured (2 hours), it's very satisfying: the orange peel aspect became quite invisible at the naked eye (of course and pity, not for my iPhone 13's camera), and the shine is rather astonishing for such a cheap varnish!

You could check that for yourself on the pictures below: (Please, don't take in account the dust particles to juge this test, and let assume that my iPhone 13's camera gives high details of the magnified bonnet that are not visible with the naked eye )

51639948644_54d6107858_c.jpg

This first result is rather encouraging; I'm going to make other tries and to train to reach a good level result.... and it's possible that I could use this product to clear another time my Mille Miglia 300 SL's body-shell.

This is another story :)

Thank for watching and stay tuned for next episode 😎

PS: just a picture of Pledge Floor Gloss if you're interested in...

51640151185_7ea31c9915_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/29/2021 at 10:15 PM, CrazyCrank said:

Unfortunately, this product isn't available in France, can be imported from UK, but for an insane price, without speaking about shipment price and other fees.

good to see you back on your MB project, Thierry.
Yes, same problem here in Holland. It is available on Amazon.de and amazon.co.uk, but they will not ship to Holland. 🤨

Looks good on your test piece👍

• Like 1