Heroes and Villains - 1/12 WW1 figure scratchbuild

Heroes and Villains.

Here’s my 1/12 scratchbuilt WW1 trench scene; “Heroes and Villains”. I decided to have a crack at sculpting figures using Fimo polymer clay. It was a real learning experience and great fun. They’re far from perfect, but being my first attempt at this sort of thing, I’m really pleased with how they’ve come out. When I started, I didn’t think I’d be able to get anywhere near as good as they’ve ended up. Sculpting is really intense and challenging, but with a bit of practice, not as difficult as I thought it would be.

Next time I’ll hopefully improve my figures’ heads (necks are a particular challenge for me) and the painting – I’m no figure painter!

I wanted to show a dynamic scene that raises questions about our interpretation of who is a hero and who is a villain in war.

WIP is here….

51072720873_a199e4f76c_k.jpg

51072720868_3930c44abe_k.jpg

51072720803_797684116b_k.jpg

51072720843_b50e3e7b83_k.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve, I started out with various intentions to re-invent the wheels, but ended up realising that actually sculpting "old-skool" was really the way to go for most of it.

I remember when I was younger, and a synth player, trying for ages to create a convincing guitar sound until I finally twigged that it would be easier to just play a guitar - much the same here... live and learn (or live and not learn as the case might be)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...