Tsar Bomb Documentary

• 4 weeks later...

I love how the poor conscript is applying paint without any breathing protection.  Yeah, just spray that stuff and get it done quickly!  Absence of a "clean room" for assembling the weapon speaks volumes to me, as well as lack of protective boots, helmets, gloves....anything.  Delivery by overloaded bomber?  Sure!  What could possibly go wrong with that?  It's just amazing how these guys did it--totally cowboy style.  Despite the commentator's calm assurances that no-one was adversely affected by the explosion, I'm sure it shattered windows 100 miles away!  Residual radiation?  Meh...  So a few people were hare-lipped?  It's progress, comrades!

17 hours ago, Ed 209 said:

What was the monetering aircraft a Tu 16

Yes, it was a TU-16, and there was likely another Tu-16 (or two) used as a camera ship(s).  I really don't know if the drop we're seeing is the "live" drop, or that of a training shape during separation tests--assuming they did that sort of thing--but it's pretty impressive.

I was looking for shots showing Andrei Sakharov's face, but I think they edited him out.  He has a pretty distinct appearance.