Getting rid of orange peel

Einar

Hi folks,

I have a question which probably has been discussed many times on the site but I just haven't found the right page so far.

So, for the time being I'm modelling the Revell Jaguar E-type. I sprayed the hull and the bonnet with Tamiya TS-9 British green that I found an excellent match for the British Racing Green. However, it so happened that having done the painting I found out that there was a slight orange peel effect on the sides. What would be the best way to get rid of it without ruining the surface? Maybe sanding it down with 2000 grit wet sanding paper and restoring the gloss somehow?

I'm looking forward to your comments and should you have a good u-tube site on the process, it would be welcome.

Thanks

Einar

Depends on the severity. If it's a slight orange peel you might be able to remove it by using an aggressive polishing compound. Personally I use Tamiya's Coarse for that and finish it off with their Fine compound.

If it's metallic paint you will need to give it another coat after you're done polishing or you'll end up with different shades in the color, but I don't think this applies here.

35 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

Depends on the severity. If it's a slight orange peel you might be able to remove it by using an aggressive polishing compound. Personally I use Tamiya's Coarse for that and finish it off with their Fine compound.

If it's metallic paint you will need to give it another coat after you're done polishing or you'll end up with different shades in the color, but I don't think this applies here.

Hi,

Thank you for your comments. In my case it is only a very slight orange peel so I think I'll use your method.

Einar