Patton Power (and friend)

Hi all,

In between the frustrating steps of my other projects, I've decided to start something a little more easy going. I picked up Takom's M-46 and Jeep combo, a few days ago. 

Both kits have been previously released separately. I don't think there is anything new here. The patton has the fantastic Korean War tiger markings, and the jeep can also be built as a USMC Korean War vehicle.

The choice was simple.

Some of Takom's early kits were extremely frustrating, but the more recent releases are what I like to call "Tamiya-plus". The kits are well engineered and comparatively easy to build, like Tamiya's. But they also have a bunch of smaller details that Tamiya often excludes, right there, in the box.

So anyway. Here we go.

First the chassis and engine of the jeep. Admittedly, I started this a few nights ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting.

PXL-20210326-023739119.jpg

PXL-20210326-023746511.jpg

It looks fairly intricate, but the assembly was very simple.

And here are the first steps of the patton. After wrestling with the suspension on Miniart's T-44, this was like a dream.

PXL-20210326-023723631.jpg

PXL-20210326-031822680.jpg

After taking this photo, I finished the other side. This all took maybe an hour or so.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, again.

This is why I typically dont do WIP threads. I either get drawn off to other projects or I forget to photograph crucial steps. I'm trying to be more focused, but sometimes the winds take me :)

Still and all, the Patton is underway. Over the course of the last week or so, I've worked on the fenders. They are tacked onto the hull for now. Not much to say about them,  other than that the hinges for the storage boxes, like to fly off into the nothing. One reason this took as long as it did is because I lost two and spent a while searching. 

A Thorough sweep of the office finally turned one up (along with missing bits from other projects). The second was replaced with a lame faximaly. 

PXL-20210407-032536143.jpg

PXL-20210407-032545440.jpg

the bracing struts still need to be added to the fenders, but those will come last. Turret work coming up next.

• Like 8

This weekend, I began work on the turret. The fit of the main parts is fine. There will be a few small seams to fill on the mantlet cover, but nothing a little filler can't handle. I'm glad Takom went with plastic rather than vinyl for this. The kit also has parts for an uncovered gun and mantlet.

PXL-20210411-042207502.jpg

• Like 5

A bunch of turret details were added today, and some Mr. surfacer was spread over seams in the canvas cover. Grab handles still need to be added to the turret, but I think I'll use wire. I'll also replace the handles on the tool boxes, as those have snapped in a few locations. 

PXL-20210413-015757326.jpg

PXL-20210413-015818818.jpg

After that, the only other thing to do is the tracks. I'll revisit the kit tracks and see if I can get them to work.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh, M47 Pattons. Our extremely friendly western neighbor used them in 1965 and 1971. At the battle of Asal Uttar, so many Pattons were knocked out by us that a graveyard of them was formed. It was called Patton Nagar (city of Pattons) 

Interesting build and lovely work.