1/600 Queen Mary 2

On 4/8/2021 at 10:20 AM, ChrisSC said:

Yes, I have heard some bad things about any of the SS United States kits . I would buy one but I keep hearing they are very toy like and are actually modeled after SS America. I think the distance between the stacks is too short or something along those lines. I've never seen one in person though. I hope your luck turns for the better on your project.

Chris

That would be the old ITC kit that was repopped by Glencoe. The Revell S.S. United States is actually properly modeled on Big U, it's just that both kits a positively fossils. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knb.1451 said:

That would be the old ITC kit that was repopped by Glencoe. The Revell S.S. United States is actually properly modeled on Big U, it's just that both kits a positively fossils. 

Ok then the Glencoe is the one I would stay away from. The Revell is a waterline kit if I'm not mistaken? As long as the proportions are correct I may have to try and find one of those some day. I bought a Glencoe France and didn't care for it and never built it.

Hi,

I have a copy of the Revell kit that I haven't built yet, and as I understand it, it does have some issues.  Specifically, I think that the actual ship has a bit of tumblehome in its hull that isn't necessarily depicted in the model, and the base of the forefoot should be straighter.   Also the lifeboats come premolded onto the davits and superstructure side so that they are kind of hollow on one side.

Pat

Hull

Model showing forefoot

Some really good work going on here.  I too have the Airfix QM2 waiting in the stash but mine will be waterlined when I get to it so hopefully not have the problem with the bulbous bow.

I know they're not ocean liners as such but cruise liners, but I wish someone would do models of the current P&O fleet.  QM2 has great lines, but they're nothing when put next to Britannia and even the smaller ships like Azura or Ventura stand out from the crowd. 

49821918212_53617bfe6f_b.jpg

Mind you, none are a patch on QE2!

• Like 2

PF Naughton that's the reason I haven't built a United States, I have heard the kits available all have some issues.

Thanks Chewbacca. Avoiding the bulbous bow will save you a lot of trouble.

That’s all for 1/600 Queen Mary 2. Out of the box with some railings. The funnel decals had me using curse words I didn’t even know I knew lol. Time for a break. I am going to build a 3D printer from a kit and try to learn how to use it.

20-Done.jpg

21-Done.jpg

22-Done.jpg

• Like 4