Gresley Mikado P2 "Robert The Bruce" scratch-build

18 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hi Frank,

Thanks for that.

Not sure how much fun I am likely to have learning anything on a computer. IIRC you used to work in I.T. and therefore are likely to have some sort of affinity for the damned things. I on the other hand have no aptitude with computers at all. I use them all day every day at work but they seem to fight me all the way. 

‘it’s easy’ everyone says - but for me it never seems to be...

I’ll spend some time having a look on the 3D print pages here on BM and will have a think.

Fully understand.   Mind you, I've been retired for 27 years and the internet wasn't even around in my IT days!    However, IF you do want to look into it there's an excellent 16 part series (all easy lessons) given by one of your countrymen so you'll have no problem with the foreign language.    You can install Fusion 360 for free and follow along and see what you think.   

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2021 at 14:48, albergman said:

Radpoe ... that organization has been around for 5 or 6 years and haven't got off the drawing board yet!

Not so - check out the website, not as much progress as the 'other lot' but not a commercial organisation either.

The Darlington organisation are only building a look alike much modification of the design is/has taken place.

Personally I believe both, along with other re-builds & replica's, are extracting funds needed to preserve the real railway herritage.

@albergman Apologies I'm a bit late to the party you might need to revisit the chimney. In plan form they were more an elongated tear drop shape tapering at the rear, have a look at models of the A4 to see what I mean. You might be able to physically re-shape the one you have already printed left square ended you'll have fit issues.

A4 single chimney

Good work so far.

7 hours ago, Circloy said:

Not so - check out the website, not as much progress as the 'other lot' but not a commercial organisation either.

The Darlington organisation are only building a look alike much modification of the design is/has taken place.

Personally I believe both, along with other re-builds & replica's, are extracting funds needed to preserve the real railway herritage.

@albergman Apologies I'm a bit late to the party you might need to revisit the chimney. In plan form they were more an elongated tear drop shape tapering at the rear, have a look at models of the A4 to see what I mean. You might be able to physically re-shape the one you have already printed left square ended you'll have fit issues.

A4 single chimney

Good work so far.

I knew someone would take me up on that.    That chimney had to be printed that way to support the taper.   The slicer program inserted a flimsy plastic structure there which I have since sanded down to the taper ... in fact, I've printed several iterations of it since then.   Thanks for the keen observation though.   

If you look at my earlier Fusion 360 "drawing" on page 1 you'll see that the taper is there too.

Switched my attention to the tender for a while.   Now that I have the 4 sides made to my satisfaction I played with several methods of sticking them together ... none of which worked very well.   I settled for cutting a block of Renshape (a composite pattern-making material) of which I have a good supply into a size to which I could glue the sides.   

Like this ...

http://51213808884_c2bde1793a_b.jpg

Fixed up the platform at the front with Formica panels  (Gawd ... look at that dust!)

http://51213259428_ff0e2c7686_b.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of fitting out the interior of the tender but fabricated most of this from Renshape, aluminium sheet and more Formica sample panels.   The filling orifice I turned from scrap aluminium on my lathe and made a little wire handle for that.   Finally I airbrushed on a coat of Vallejo primer just to tie it all together.    There's a major flaw here that someone is going to spot.

http://51214112420_b5f614fe13_b.jpg

Now, before anyone takes me to task about a corridor tender never being used on a P2 which was dedicated to the Edinburgh-Aberdeen route, let me just say ... I don't care!!  LOL.   I like the corridor tender and NO, I wasn't able to find a picture of one in use with a P2 but they did do trial runs from London to Edinburgh with the P2's and just might have used a corridor.   Maybe?? 

Decided to do the engine too ...

http://51213264098_158dcdfc72_b.jpg

Today  I'm printing new sides for the cab as it's becoming tricky to fit the cab onto the boiler.   I've made a new curved roof out of aluminium sheet as the printed one was causing me trouble and now I'm trying to fit that to the cab and boiler at the right height.

Thanks for looking in.

Frank

• Like 6

16 hours ago, albergman said:

I knew someone would take me up on that.    That chimney had to be printed that way to support the taper.

Design limitation of the software, at least you're aware.

25 minutes ago, albergman said:

trial runs from London to Edinburgh with the P2's and just might have used a corridor

Plausable.

Hope the filler cap is lose, it needs to be more central so it's equally accessible from eitherside of the tender when filling.

LNER corridor tender top

1 hour ago, Circloy said:

Design limitation of the software, at least you're aware.

Plausable.

Hope the filler cap is lose, it needs to be more central so it's equally accessible from eitherside of the tender when filling.

LNER corridor tender top

Thanks for looking in on my progress and once again offering meaningful criticisms.   I don't want to sound ungrateful but fine details aren't all that important to me.   As I've often stated in my scratch builds of cars, boats and other steam engines on these forums I'm more interested in the process ... how am I going to make this part.   This project falls into the same category as I'm mainly doing it to learn new techniques such as Fusion 360, Slicers and 3D printing and I've been rather handicapped by a dearth of photographs or drawings for this particular subject.   I've only built 2 plastic kits  back in the 70's and, when I took up scratch building in 2002 I only scratch build subjects that mean a lot to me.   My steam engines: Scotsman, Union of South Africa and now a P2 were all engines I train-spotted as a lad in the 1940's in Scotland (I'm 82 now) and my models are just for my own pleasure and will no doubt have obvious flaws to knowledgeable observers.   

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well now ... a year to the day has passed and I'm finally finished this one!    Truth be told I haven't spent  much time on it as life really got in the way.   However, she's finished and mounted on her own tracks and has taken her place with my other 2 Gresley Pacifics 'Union of South Africa' and 'Flying Scotsman'.    I guess I'll just post my finished pictures here as there doesn't seem to be a more appropriate place for them.

Here we go then.   'Robert the Bruce' ... a 'never was' Mikado 2-8-2 taken on as a project to learn Fusion 360 design and use my 3D printer.   

52109789932_de845259ef_b.jpg

52110818681_bb8cfbe7b5_b.jpg

Cousins ... oops I see  the A4 is derailed!

52110818521_d932c685d2_b.jpg

52111327930_4e95be3b1c_b.jpg

52110818451_e38c7255a1_b.jpg

52110818426_efbb71942b_b.jpg

Night time at Top Shed ...

52110854503_a65f4146c4_b.jpg

Edited by albergman
typo
  • Like 21

Wow! They look absolutely fabulous what a great result - I told you it was easy 👍😎😁

17 minutes ago, nick said:

Wow! They look absolutely fabulous what a great result - I told you it was easy 👍😎😁

Thanks Nick.   Glad you like them.   You're right though it was quite easy after I got into it ... that one page set of instructions you wrote for me was the ticket.   I think you know I gave the printer to my oldest son who is way past me into Fusion and prints stuff non-stop.   Me ... I'm happy to return to making my models by hand.  Different strokes.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful! Just beautiful. Congratulations on this fine work. 

I have many many possible future subjects but whenever I look at your work I feel steam locomotives should move closer to the top of my priority list.

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Beautiful! Just beautiful. Congratulations on this fine work. 

I have many many possible future subjects but whenever I look at your work I feel steam locomotives should move closer to the top of my priority list.

Thanks Steve.   It sure has been fun doing these three.   Gives me immense pleasure to look at them lined up like this.   You've already dipped your toes into the subject so you'll already have an idea what's involved.   The '600 lb gorilla' of course is all that metalwork that has to be fashioned and fitted (reasonably) correctly.    If you don't feel up to tackling it the way I do then seriously explore 3D printing.   Once you crack the design problem you'll probably just love applying it to many different aspects of your hobby.   It seems daunting and I admit I was very hesitant but had the (mis) fortune to have Nick on this forum pushing me relentlessly into it ... and I was very grateful for his help.   Just don't let him find out you're considering Fusion 360 ... he won't leave you alone LOL!!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Don't know if anyone in B-M is interested in trying a print of this loco themselves but I'd be happy to forward all of my STL and/or Gcode files free of charge.    Keep in mind this is a display model therefore not built to any accepted model railway scale.   I know that the slicer programs can change scale for you but I have no experience with that.   

I took this project on as a means for me to learn Fusion 360 and to experiment with my new filament 3D printer and I'm very pleased with the resulting model though it might not pass muster with the most serious "rivet counters".

I did draw all of the motion components and I printed them (you can see them in the pictures above) but I couldn't get a finish on them that looked "metally" enough for my liking ... I'm hopeless at finishes.   In the end I fabricated all of the motion in metals yet again but the drawings are there if you wanted to print them.  

There will need to be some scratch building to make things like handrails and their attachments but 99% of the model can be printed.  It would be interesting to see how it would come out if printed on a resin printer.

Here's a list of all the parts.   

52553093874_1469db7056_o.jpg

Frank

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice build Frank, I am just gathering bits and pieces to scratch build a P1 in 7mm/O gauge I plan to base mine around the Hachette Flying Scotsman boiler casting.

A minor detail, but I have to mention that your memory must be playing tricks with you. It's not possible for you to have seen a P2 in 1951 because Edward Thompson rebuilt all 6 of them into A2/2's between 1943 and 1944

On 12/26/2022 at 7:02 AM, Rob Pulham said:

Nice build Frank, I am just gathering bits and pieces to scratch build a P1 in 7mm/O gauge I plan to base mine around the Hachette Flying Scotsman boiler casting.

A minor detail, but I have to mention that your memory must be playing tricks with you. It's not possible for you to have seen a P2 in 1951 because Edward Thompson rebuilt all 6 of them into A2/2's between 1943 and 1944

Hi Rob

I bow to your no doubt superior knowledge of steam engines.   I left the UK in 1951 and haven't followed steam since that time.   That's very interesting about the conversion and how early it happened.   I had no idea.   I suppose then I must have seen COTN much earlier as I don't think I imagined seeing it ... LOL.   I've always just thought it was on that last visit in '51 but it could well have been a different year.   I was after all just a wee lad.

Good luck with your own P1 by the way.

Frank

Hi Frank, 

I can't think that you imagined it, seeing something like COTN at such a young age would have left a lasting impression I'm sure. 

My recently deceased neighbour, born in 1931, remembered seeing Flying Scotsman in York Station in 1938. What wonderful memories. Sadly I completely missed steam having been born in 1963, miles from the nearest railway. As a modeller of the LNER, all my knowledge comes from books.

Regards Rob 

33 minutes ago, Rob Pulham said:

Hi Frank, 

I can't think that you imagined it, seeing something like COTN at such a young age would have left a lasting impression I'm sure. 

My recently deceased neighbour, born in 1931, remembered seeing Flying Scotsman in York Station in 1938. What wonderful memories. Sadly I completely missed steam having been born in 1963, miles from the nearest railway. As a modeller of the LNER, all my knowledge comes from books.

Regards Rob 

Oh good ... I'm glad you believe me then.  😄  It's such a vivid memory too even after all these years.   In those days most lads like me spent a lot of time trainspotting so you can imagine my excitement when we took a train across to Edinburgh to board the Night Scotsman for London.   Dad took me down to see what was on duty that night and can you believe I don't remember?   It was either Papyrus or Blink Bonny and I can tell you I slept not a wink all the way to London.

7 hours ago, Rob Pulham said:

Sadly I was born much too late for 'proper' train spotting and diesels or other modern traction have never held any appeal for me.

This is my build of Papyrus, built from a 7mm scale DJH kit.

Not being a model railroader I had to look up DJH.   So you finished a bare kit?   Nice job there Rob.    Looks like a nicely detailed model.   

1 hour ago, albergman said:

Not being a model railroader I had to look up DJH.   So you finished a bare kit?   Nice job there Rob.    Looks like a nicely detailed model.   

Hi Frank, 

Yes, although I joined BM because I have a side interest in Armour modelling. My main interest is building LNER locos and rolling stock from kits or scratch building, if no kit is available. I will start my own thread as I have only just discovered this section of the forum. 

18 hours ago, Rob Pulham said:

Hi Frank, 

My main interest is building LNER locos and rolling stock from kits or scratch building, if no kit is available.

Scratch building LNER locomotives!  A man after my own heart!!  I thought I was alone on the planet doing this.   We should start a club Rob.

I'm pretty sure I'm finally retired from this endeavour after the latest one.   Swore after the Scotsman "I'll never do that again" but wanted an A4 so badly that I did it again then swore the same oath ... we now know how that ended.   Must admit the P2 was fun simply for the ability to 3D print most of it.

Frank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank, I am now following this one. I will catch up with the whole thread later.

My grandfather was 2nd engineer on RMS Mauretania and on retirement used to scratch build working model steam pumps and even a working  replica of theMauretania's triple expansion engine. He would have loved your models!

Richie 

• Like 2