MiG-31BM - The Beast From The East

Lockdown build number 5 of this year & the last one before I go back to work. Another three month shielding period over, good for modelling time but also looking forward to being in contact with other human beings - at a distance mind!

Like a lot of my models, they get built then go into hibernation mode waiting to get completed sitting on the dusty shelves of plastic doom while I get distracted by other more colourful subjects. So this had been sitting there for a good couple of years, it's the Zvezda 1/72 kit. It's not too bad, there's reasonable detail in some places but not others. For a relatively cheap kit for its size I can understand them not wanting to include intake trunks & exhaust tubes, but no one except the house spiders are going to inspect them!

I added plenty of agricultural Russian rivets to this one, to give it more interest & used a pitot from Master as is usual for me.

The decal sheet which comes with the kit includes around 20 odd decals for a pretty non descript airframe, so I obtained the Begemot decal package. Fifty options & what looked like 400 or therabouts decals. So I used as many stencils as I could get onto it to make the vast expanses of grey look more interesting.

The only other extras were some brass rod used for the airbrake/undercarriage doors & the canopy actuators.

One day I might get a set of steps for the pilots. Can't believe how tiny they look next to this thing!

Russian Federation Air Force MiG-31BM BuNo.92 3958th GuAB Savasleyka airbase Novgorod 2010

Markings employed especially for the 2010 May Day Parade.

Also used a bit of artistic license when it came to installing the missiles on the wings with the fuel tanks outboard, even though they are rarely if ever seen attached to those pylons. I blame Zvezda for that!

Vallejo Model Color paints

Used some Tamiya weathering powders & AK weathering pencils

51071468003_e10f9c5994_k.jpg

51071468028_5848a642f6_k.jpg

51072166276_ee4bdee935_k.jpg

51002978895_23a1741bc1_k.jpg

51072260762_5242950e86_k.jpg

51072166211_503c1ac0f5_k.jpg

51002978720_9d6adf51f2_k.jpg

51071467888_c384a0643f_k.jpg

51072260637_a2b17f6a37_k.jpg

51071467833_99b9311955_k.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Martin

• Like 62

19 hours ago, kapam said:

Well, that is a stunning result!

The paint, the decals, the rivets (gonna have to buy one of those gizmos, I think) all make a most realistic replica.

Well done.

:clap::clap:

Cheers mate, much appreciated!

16 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Super smart modelling, good job!

Thank you! 👍

15 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Martin. You just need a Foxbat to keep her company now :)

Martin

Thanks Martin! That ICM kit looks very tempting, another kit to add to the ever climbing stash mountain! 😉

8 hours ago, almac said:

Now that is very nice work indeed.

Cheers Allan 

Much appreciated thanks Allan! 👍

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nicely done. I have this kit in its Revell box, and you've given me something to shoot for.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I hope my photos have prepared you for the canyon trench like panel lines though! They are a bit in yer face, & there's the walk through engine intakes!

A 1/72 family could live in there!

2 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Thanks Bill, I hope my photos have prepared you for the canyon trench like panel lines though! They are a bit in yer face, & there's the walk through engine intakes!

A 1/72 family could live in there!

Oh joy!     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

Very nice Martin!!!!  You captured the menacing appearance of the Foxhound perfectly!!!! :clap2:

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I tried to retain that rough menacing edge to it!

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, F-32 said:

An absolute beast! You don't often see them built with underwing tanks, looks really good

Cheers! We'll I would normally try & keep everything accurate, but as I'd sprayed up everything that hung I thought I'd attach everything in the box. It's going on a long range mission! 😉