Hello from a Dutch modelling returnee

Ranjo71

Hello to everyone in this forum!

I'm a Dutch guy returning to the modelling hobby. After a pause of around 30 years in my modelling activities, I finally picked it up again last year.

You know how it goes: as a kid and even as a young adolescent, I built dozens of kits. But all of a sudden, your interests change to a whole other spectrum... However, that little flame of modelling passion kept burning and last year I felt that the time was ripe to start again. During my years of inactivity I made sure that my stash was filled with nice kits, although some of them are a bit dated. Also my skills and knowledge of modelling are a bit outdated, so I'm learning every day.

That was also one of the reasons for joining this forum: learning from the experienced modellers.

Oh, my main interests are military jets (1/48), warbirds (1/32) and armour (1/35).

Cheers! 😉

• Like 6

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It's funny to see all the reactions from different parts of the world. Maybe modelling is the most universal hobby in the world? 😃

4 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Hello Ranjo

Welcome back to the greatest hobby ever.

We are almost neighbours, greetings from Oldenburg /Germany. 

Yes, we are practically neighbours. I live not so far from the German border, in Ede to be exactly. Well, any place in the Netherlands is more or less close to the German border... 😆

Cheers,

Remco.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hook said:

Welkom! 

4 hours ago, DreeBee said:

A very warm welcome from another Dutchie.

Can't wait to see your work.. 

Greetzzzz

André 

Ah, nog meer Nederlanders. Die kom je echt overal tegen... 😄

(Ah, even more Dutch guys. You'll find them everywhere ... 😄)

• Haha 2

Welcome aboard mate. It looks to me like you’re going to fit in just fine. 👍

Hey, I just thought of something you might be able to help me with...

An old mate of mine lives in Holland and a few weeks ago he told me that in Holland it’s ‘illegal’ to use emojis ‘because of copyright laws.’

Any truth in that or is this guy just having a laugh. 🤔

Perhaps he just doesn’t like emojis while I possibly use them too much. 🤔👍👍🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1

Thank you, @Bandsaw Steve!

Well, I don't know of any "illegal act" when using emoji's... And if there is one, no one complies to it. 😄😄😄

But then again, there are more forbidden acts or things in the Netherlands that no one cares about... 🤪😝😎😂

I keep using them! 👍🏻😃

Cheers 🍻

Remco

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

A warm welcome from England, much the same story for me and the same interests, just love the mighty F4. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I always have a lot of sympathy for the Brits!

And oh... 😃, the mighty Phantom... the plane that got me in to planespotting when I was a kid... those were the days...

Now we have flying computer-games... then we had Phantoms! 

And 104's, Lightnings, Buccaneers, Jaguars, F-111's, ..., ... do I need to go on?

• Like 1

Welcome from Florida USA....interesting as my fathers fathers family is from the Dursen area and his mothers family is from

Baden. I just stopped building Phantoms as I built too many and have now been on a 109 quest. Enjoy the site!---John

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ranjo71 said:

And oh... 😃, the mighty Phantom... the plane that got me in to planespotting when I was a kid... those were the days...

Now we have flying computer-games... then we had Phantoms! 

EHSB ? :P

Aaaaand another compatriot says Hoi!

You're just in time for the Phantom GB:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Cool user icon mate!

Thanks.

Actually it is from a Dutch artist, Peter van Stigt. He makes very nice airplane related art. A good example of it you can find on the box-art of the Kinetic F-104G RNLAF Starfighter 1/48 kit (#K48090).

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k48090-f-104g-rnlaf-starfighter--1256016

He also had this "Dutch Tomcat" art and I asked him politly if I could use it as an icon. So, all credits go to him!

• Like 2

Ook Hoi!, @alt-92!

You're right: EHSB was the place to be. Although when my interest started around 1980, the 32nd had already begun transitioning to the F-15.

My first encounter with the Phantom, that really triggered the hobby, was around the same time. I was on a cycling-trip with my school-class and around the city of Leiden we had a pause. Out of nowhere, two F-4's (as I found out later) passed over us really low level. As said, I only found out some time later (no internet back then) that these birds must have been Phantoms. They might have been from some other USAFE squadron (SP, BT, RS, etc.).

I will look in to the Phantom GB. Interesting!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Phantoms got you started?  One of my first airshow memories is of F-104s and some slightly crazy pilots.  I got them to sign the calendar at the time. And just like you a gap and a return to modelling.  Now I mainly do 1/48 Cold War jets.  Just how a saw them as a kid. Looking forward to seeing your work

eASXelP.jpg

• Like 2