Interesting P-47 Colour Film

Tbolt

Some of you have probably already seen this but I've just only found it and it's quite an interesting P-47 in this short video. The front housing on the engine seems to be painted zinc chromate and quite a few parts on this aircraft are painted yellow, including the aft part of the rear pylon fairing and the pylon displacing arm ( maybe robbed from an aircraft which had the yellow pylons from the yellow stripe being further outboard ), also the under wing antenna appears to be painted yellow, which I would have though would have been left unpainted.

I just wish the decals were available for this aircraft and a decent P-47N kit!

• Like 4

It almost looks to me like they brush painted the front of the engine with yellow paint. 

Obviously someone at that squadron was a big fan of yellow!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

It almost looks to me like they brush painted the front of the engine with yellow paint. 

Obviously someone at that squadron was a big fan of yellow!

It could be yellow but it's duller than the rest of the yellow so that why I though it might be zinc chromate.

Notice the inner gear door seems brighter than ZC like they've painted that yellow too.

1 hour ago, Bozothenutter said:

Wow, very cool!

Pretty clean looking aircraft with minimal staining from engine etc, also NMF finish is NOT shiny, just NMF.

Have to look at it a few times more.

Also it's not covered in divots, you can only see the rivets because they're made of a different material to the skinning and thus a different colour.

@Tbolt thanks for sharing, I wonder if the crankcases were painted that colour to aid identification from the front on the flight line, did the other squadrons in the group have different colour crankcases?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wez said:

Also it's not covered in divots, you can only see the rivets because they're made of a different material to the skinning and thus a different colour.

@Tbolt thanks for sharing, I wonder if the crankcases were painted that colour to aid identification from the front on the flight line, did the other squadrons in the group have different colour crankcases?

Could be. It's the first time I've seen the front housing anything other than grey or silver.