Sturmgeschutz Ausf.G 7.5cm with zimmerit

Retired Bob

Since both my other two builds are at the paint stage I was missing the smell of glue.  Since I bought this kit specially for this GB I think it's time to get it started.  It is mostly the same plastic as my earlier Dragon kit, that I built as the howitzer armed StuH 10.5cm, this kit will be built as a 7.5cm armed StuG.  I have a metal barrel with brass muzzle, it will be in a winter camouflage scheme using the winterketten tracks that I started for the StuH build.  This is the kit box art:

IMG_1431

As I mentioned the plastic is of Dragon origin, their logo can be seen on the sprues along with their nice waffle pattern zimmerit.

IMG_1500

The only difference between the Dragon and Das Werk kits are decals, p/e and tracks.  Das Werk kits use the link and length tracks instead of magic tracks.

IMG_1514

But I used these on my other build so as mentioned I will use some old Dragon winter tracks that I have here with the p/e and metal gun barrel.

IMG_1564

The Das Werk kit p/e has the rear idler inner rim in three segments but as with the link and length tracks, these are a feature of all new Dragon Panzer III and IV kits as well.

I will make a start on assembling the hull torsion bar suspension and clean up of the wheels today, any comments or questions are most welcome.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice choice Bob, you’ll have a Regiment by May.

If my last StuG doesn't turn it might slow my production line down.  I think it's on that boat that's stuck in the Suez Canal, blinkin typical. :whistle:

• Haha 1

An update on progress so far, I attached the suspension parts to the hull, cleaned up the wheels, sprockets and rear idlers, the p/e inner rims fitted without any problems despite being in 3 parts to each side.  With those parts set aside, I started on the engine cover, adding the p/e intake covers but I am leaving off those raised engine covers for now until I sort out the rear deck stowage.

IMG_1568

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Good luck, i think Das Werk is highly recommend manufacturer if i heard right.

Hi Werner this is the first Das Werk kit that I have bought, the plastic and p/e is Dragon so the quality is good, and what is better than 1 Dragon StuG, it has to be 2 Dragon StuGs.  :winkgrin:

IMG_1569

This turned up today, slightly battered box but the plastic is undamaged.  Over 2 months left on this GB, so still time to build another StuG. :wicked:

• Haha 3

Todays update, after a quick fondle of my new plastic from Dragon, there are lots of spare parts included in this boxing but as usual with Dragon there is no indication of what parts are for which production version, there are all the parts for a MIAG or Alkett assembly plant built mid/late Ausf.G without zimmerit, some of which will be used to correct this current build.  I have started assembling the crew compartment, here the main parts are just dry fitted together, I have managed to put some paint, Tamiya XF-88 dark yellow on the running gear, a small start but some paint is better than none. :winkgrin: 

IMG_1570

Any comments or questions are welcome.

Edited by Retired Bob
spelling error
  • Like 4

A quick update on my Das Werk StuG, all the upper hull parts have been glued onto the hull including the track guards with Alkett brackets that I took from that new Dragon kit.

Next thing is to start adding the tracks to the sprockets, idlers and wheels.

IMG_1573

• Like 5

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bob. Looks like you are already off to a great start! :thumbsup:

A slight slow down while I clean up 186 magic track links and assemble them, seeing as it's Easter and the usual demands of getting the garden ready after Winter I am also laying some slabs for a patio area, best I don't mix them up. :unsure:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ned said:

I didn't know that some Das Werk kits were rebadged Dragon. But now I see on Scalemates that some others are from Takom as well. I need to pay more attention!

This has been the only Das Werk kit that I have bought so I'm not sure where else their kits originate but the only thing in this kit that is not Dragon is the decals.

A change of direction for this StuG, I'm not sure about trying the hairspray technique with a waffle zimmerit coating so I have decided to do the winter camo and use the winterkettern tracks on my non-zimmerited StuG.  So what to do with this build now?  Years ago I bought this Revell boxing of a StuG Ausf.G

IMG_1583

The plastic is by Gunze Sangyo, and while not bad, it's 25 years old and not up to level of newer Dragon kits.  I have found 1 photo of this vehicle in one of my books, it has the teeth and eyes but there are no kill rings and it was covered in waffle pattern zimmerit, it also had schurzen plates.  I have no further details of what unit or theatre of operations, the Revell instructions just state that it was on the Eastern front.  Other mistakes on the box art and in the kit, the V shaped shield on the remote m/g was a late war addition as are the pilzen and self defence weapon on the kit roof, these were not on a zimmerit covered one that was made between mid 43 and September 44 when zimmerit was applied.  This is how I will finish my Das Werk kit, if anyone has any more information on this StuG I would greatly appreciate it.  

This is how the kit looks now, the upper and lower hull are glued together and the tracks are assembled but can be removed for painting.  The stowage is from Eureka and just placed on the rear deck to see how it looks.  Next to be added will be the schurzen rails.  Any comments or questions are most welcome.

IMG_1581

• Like 7

Hi Bob. Hopefully someone will be able to help the information you require. Looks like some interesting developments there! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have attached all the schurzen rails and brackets, following the "welding" Ray @Ray_W did on his StuG I have also used some stretched sprue to create the welds on the cupola deflector.  The roof panel is still only dry-fitted so that I can add the clear periscopes and sighting parts after painting the camo paint.   Next  will be be a coat of primer.

IMG_1589

• Like 6

Sprayed a coat of Mr Surfacer thinned with self levelling thinner on the StuG today, I'll leave it to dry properly for 24 hours then spray a base coat of Tamiya XF-88 dark yellow to start the camouflage process.  The saukopf mantlet will have some matt white sprayed on as a base for the mouth and eyes.  Thanks for looking, any comments or questions are always welcome. 

IMG_1594

• Like 6

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bob. Great to see more progress on this build too. It's looking smart in it's coat of primer. :thumbsup:

Hi Stix, I managed to get the Tamiya XF-88 dark yellow sprayed today but I needed to get some more work done in the garden so photos will have to be taken later.

• Like 1

Not a very exciting photo, the base coat of Tamiya dark yellow XF-88 over the primer and some matt white as a base for the mouth and eyes, maybe some kill rings as well..

Now to start the camouflage, a squiggle pattern of green and brown, then to paint the tyres and tracks.

IMG_1597

Any comments or questions are always welcome.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, vytautas said:

I always thought the cupola deflector was concrete

Early Ausf.G StuGs did not have a deflector and as the cupola was not armoured crews made deflectors from steel and concrete.  Mid and late StuG Ausf.Gs had a steel deflector added during assembly but sometimes extra concrete was still added to the crew compartment. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1