Binbrook Lightning!

It’s time to dig an old Lightning out of the stash and represent some proper heavy metal from one of best eras of the RAF. 

Those thunderous take offs and zoom climbs are always worth a watch on YouTube. If only we could still watch them from the fence at Binbrook!  During the later years of their career, the RAF Lightnings had a number of interesting colour schemes; some still green/grey camo and some varying shades of grey with different demarcation lines. One of my favourites is the dark sea grey over barley grey, as shown below:

DCF7-C04-F-54-E0-4420-AEF4-9-A3-B548767-

This is the aircraft I’ll be aiming to represent, XS933/AJ of 5 Sqn, circa 1986.

As an eBay bargain the box was disgusting; ripped and water damaged, so we’ll skip that pic! Plans ok though.

AB60-E89-B-D2-CB-4502-92-AD-D7936-A312-C

Parts still on the sprues and bagged.

E526614-F-3384-42-BF-B9-C8-B4-E6-BF58-A9

Some decals unusable but luckily I think the end of the sheet with the ones I’ll need should be ok ...

B2-FBE5-C8-E1-D6-42-F7-BCC9-4-F1-A63-F52

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

Cheers chaps, good to have an audience, especially for advice!

Im intending on oob as it’s a nice kit, so probably won’t need any unless something crops up to change my mind. Might need aftermarket decals yet at least, will have to see ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

proper heavy metal from one of best eras of the RAF.

I’m biased - but I’ll second that :D

Low level over the North Sea, watching Lightnings fall from the heavens and then power skywards again - I’ll never forget the sight.

Looking forward to the build!

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Great kit and a great bargain. My favourite memory was coming home school one afternoon with an almighty racket skyward got home and grabbed my father's binoculars and rushed back outside and watched the most fantastic dogfight between a Lightning and a.... Harrier. Let's just say it was a bit one sided 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I’m biased - but I’ll second that :D

Low level over the North Sea, watching Lightnings fall from the heavens and then power skywards again - I’ll never forget the sight.

Looking forward to the build!

That sounds amazing! My life’s second biggest regret (after my first marriage!) is never being good enough at maths to be an RAF pilot. It must have been fabulous, especially in the 80s with such a plethora of cool hardware around.

There’s a good chance my next build after the Lightning will be a Coltishall Jag, so stay tuned ... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Cheers chaps, good to have an audience, especially for advice!

Im intending on oob as it’s a nice kit, so probably won’t need any unless something crops up to change my mind. Might need aftermarket decals yet at least, will have to see ...

I have this boxing in the stash and the decals are pretty much unusable. 

James

Nice two tone grey Frightning there.  They did look good.  This is my dodgy shot of one from an 80s Mildenhall show

2jJORb9.jpg

Sadly this one & pilot was lost. The old Airfix kit is ok - I did one a long time ago with silver foil on the intake ring & grey / green camo.  Might have to do another one at some point.

• Like 3

Thanks gents for all the interest. Hope it doesn’t disappoint! I’ll probably be able to make a start this weekend. 

@MADMUSKY thanks for that Darren, I may need to take up your kind offer. I think the cockpit decals will probably give a clue as to how good or bad the rest of the sheet is. 

• Like 1

Got me a chair.

Its a pretty good kit, not too much to it and certainly looks the part.

Think theres some weird vagueness in locating the nose wheel bay or the inlet cone, been a while since I nailed one together, but everyone seems to cope.

And Binbrook.... many an hour spent by the escape gates as a kid. :) 

• Like 1

Finally some progress. I started with the bang seat as usual. This is the kit one with masking tape belts and a bit of folded paper painted olive drab for the cushion backrest thing. I also made a little pull cord from wire and used sprue offcuts for the buckles.

2-D077343-427-B-4544-83-A1-13-F94-F1-A7-

F9562522-004-C-4-D38-95-E6-A72-E93-E12-F

I reckon that’ll do for the cockpit. It’s a pretty tight fit with the seat in there, although I will be displaying it canopy open. Always nice to have instrument decals instead of having to try painting them. They’ll look neater once fitted into the fuselage. Not sure why Airfix didn’t make the instrument panel the same shape as the decal!

D48239-B2-580-F-4-F3-B-AC3-A-E64-CDD6130

• Like 10

I’m hoping the instrument decal is well hidden and forced into shape once in the fuselage.

Oops @DaveH, I’m afraid she’s going to be from 5! I’ve already got an LTF F3, and an 11 Sqn Tornado, so it’s only fair 😂 Can I assume you served on XI (F) Sqn? Hope you still stick around to watch. I do have another in the stash which I’m planning to do in light grey and almost certainly 11 Sqn markings.