Group Builds: Overview for a newbie

RC Boater Bill

As a newcomer to this part of the site, I have to admit I had a bit of a hard time figuring out how this all works— is there an explanation of the basics somewhere, that I have just missed?

I’m not talking about how to organize or run one- just the basics of participation.

I have read a bunch of threads, picking up bits and pieces, but the basic info doesn’t seem to be collected in one spot.  (the FAQ doesn’t have it.). 

For example, I spent 30 minutes before I found a definition of STGB.  The acronym is used everywhere, but never defined.   I was thinking it meant “Short Term”, but now I think it means “Single Type”.  (Not sure what the precise  definition is- for example,  does that mean “Spitfires”, or “Mark I Spitfires”, or “Airfix Mk I Spitfires”?) But maybe it means something else?

I think I understand how GBs are started-  someone posts a thread with a candidate, and people reply saying they would participate.  If it gets 30+ people committed, it goes to some sort of voting process(?), and if some  criteria is met, it gets scheduled. 

I think that to join a GB, you just need to find a thread for one that is about to start or recently started, and then start a work-in-progress thread.  (Do you also post in the “sign me up” thread?)

The goal is to complete the model by the end date, and post a few photos in the GB subject’s gallery.   (To be eligible for a poll, I think?  What is that?)   If you finish the model late, are the threads locked?

I’m sure I’ve got some things wrong - so please correct me, or point me to the “ Group Builds for Dummies” post I somehow missed...  I’d appreciate it!   This looks like fun, so I’d like to know how to make the most of it and be a contributor!

Thanks,

-Bill

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

There is a GB FAQ.

GBs are generally defined by the proposers and can be as broad or narrow as desired--subject to some cohesion to garner sufficient interest. Related GBs will sometimes merge to get more support. The Single Type GBs are a tad shorter than regular GBs. Much shorter are Blitzbuild GBs, which I believe is a 24h period within a few day period.

The voting process is known as The Bunfight; it takes place in Nov. The number of winning GBs is set in advance to fill the available GB slots. GBs garnering the most votes fill those slots. The hosts of the winning GBs will select among the available slots. Some GB slot dates are set by the GB's defining event, like the currently running Desert Storm GB or last year's BoB 80th Anniversary GB.

You generally post your proposed subject for approval in the chat thread. Once approved, you start a build thread in the GB sub-forum. Make sure to post pix of the starting state; I usually show a kit inventory and any aftermarket. Sometimes also reference books, photos, backstory, &etc. You can start however late into the GB slot as you think you can complete.  I generally won't start much after the start date because of my painfully slow build rate. Some people can complete multiple builds in a single GB; do these in separate threads.

The goal is indeed to complete in time to post in the GB's gallery before it locks. Gallery rules are posted. If you don't complete in time, post an RFI (Ready For Inspection) thread in the appropriate subject section. A poll is just a vote of "best builds."

With that, Current GBs and Future GBs are identified. There's also a full year calendar kept in the Future GB sub-forum.

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just by saying you're interested is just that you're interested. No commitment beyond that, so if you see any specific builds that are still proposals or are scheduled to start later this year. Just join in or ask to put your name on the list of interested parties. Starting November 1st there will be a 2 week long voting process for next years options. Every member of the forum has six votes and gets to choose their top six choices. Starting December 1st the top choices of both standard and single type move forward.

Those members whose builds got through and Enzo Matrix will iron out the calendar for 2022. There is a special change this year as the rules have recently changed so for next year only 5 single type builds will get to advance. As the old rules allowed for automatic assignment of dates. Two were already scheduled for 2022. Im hoping this helps if not please don't hesitate to ask more questions. P/M me if you would like to ask that way. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RC Boater Bill I think you have understood the process fine. I joined my first GB last autumn (fall) and can thoroughly recommend them. You get advice and comments and for me it really helps keeps going when you get to a sticky point. And if you don't quite finish in time you can always ask for an extension (seems an extra week is often given) or just keep going for a few weeks (eg Interceptor GB finished 2 weeks ago but one model is still going) or ask the mods to move your thread to a WIP form.

And Single Type is normally applied broadly, so a Spitfire STGB would be all marks and Seafires of any scale or make, and similarly broad for GBs, eg the current Gulf War is anything of either side that was in theatre, so USAF Phantom, Iraqi AF Mig, RAF refuelling truck, Iraqi Army APC, Armme De L'Air Jaguar (sic) etc are all valid and in GB.

Chris

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

There is a GB FAQ.

GBs are generally defined by the proposers and can be as broad or narrow as desired--subject to some cohesion to garner sufficient interest. Related GBs will sometimes merge to get more support. The Single Type GBs are a tad shorter than regular GBs. Much shorter are Blitzbuild GBs, which I believe is a 24h period within a few day period.

The voting process is known as The Bunfight; it takes place in Nov. The number of winning GBs is set in advance to fill the available GB slots. GBs garnering the most votes fill those slots. The hosts of the winning GBs will select among the available slots. Some GB slot dates are set by the GB's defining event, like the currently running Desert Storm GB or last year's BoB 80th Anniversary GB.

You generally post your proposed subject for approval in the chat thread. Once approved, you start a build thread in the GB sub-forum. Make sure to post pix of the starting state; I usually show a kit inventory and any aftermarket. Sometimes also reference books, photos, backstory, &etc. You can start however late into the GB slot as you think you can complete.  I generally won't start much after the start date because of my painfully slow build rate. Some people can complete multiple builds in a single GB; do these in separate threads.

The goal is indeed to complete in time to post in the GB's gallery before it locks. Gallery rules are posted. If you don't complete in time, post an RFI (Ready For Inspection) thread in the appropriate subject section. A poll is just a vote of "best builds."

With that, Current GBs and Future GBs are identified. There's also a full year calendar kept in the Future GB sub-forum.

HTH

-- 

dnl

Thanks for posting this- you gave a good summary and answered a lot of questions.  Your response should be pinned at the top of the FAQ section!

Yes, there is an FAQ-  I started there.  It is surprisingly un-helpful for someone new to the whole GB thing.  There are a handful of posts, all 4+ years old,  each addressing a specific single issue, aimed at people who already know how the whole thing works.  (The thread about “STGB” doesn’t even define it!)

Thanks again....

Edited by RC Boater Bill
fixed old typos, added new ones
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The FAQ area is relatively new here, and (IIRC) is made up from old posts asking fundamental questions.

One of the problems for those of us who spend time in a space, or working on an activity, is that we begin to think that what we do is obvious and normal, and everybody else would see that.

Working out what should be in an FAQ is not so easy.

The questions you ask in your OP are helpful, both because they are real, and because you came up with the correct answers.

Common Terms and Acronyms:
Bun fight (or bunfight) - local jargon for an annual vote.  The vote is held to select builds for the following year.  Historically the vote lasted a month, but there have been moves to shorten that period.
{edit November 2021} The bun fight runs for two weeks in November {/edit}

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions.

GB - Group Build - a time limited activity where we build models.  The models are selected in response to a theme.  Examples might include an Interceptors GB, or a Matchbox 50 Anniversary GB (kit manufacturer)
The criteria for GBs is very variable, and the discussion (chat) and rules should be checked to assess the eligibility of  a specific model for that build.

STGB - a type group build where the theme is limited by type.
Example STGBs might include a Spitfire STGB, or a Sherman Tank STGB where that type of machine or its close precursors or derivatives may be built.

A Spitfire STGB would typically allow Seafires as the navy version of the type.

A Sherman Tank STGB might allow Lee and Grant tanks (precursors), along with Priest and Sexton SPGs (US and Canadian built derivatives).

Note, for both GBs and STGBs, the rules vary.

Group Build Chat - an area for discussing proposed group builds, group build rules, and anything related that might be off-topic in a specific group build.

Note: there is a general Group Build Chat area with many threads.  The proposal thread for a GB usually becomes the chat area for that build when the GB goes live.

Host, GB Host - usually the person who suggested the GB.

Co-Host - somebody who volunteered to help the host.

KUTA - Kick Up the Back-side, an annual group build where builds of incomplete kits may be followed.

OP - Opening Post, sometimes Original Poster.

RL - Real Life. 

WIP - Work in Progress.  There are WIP areas elsewhere in this forum.

RFI - Ready for Inspection.  A gallery outside the Group Builds area where images of complete models may be shown.  There is no limit to the number of photos that may be shown in the RFI areas.

The Gallery.  A space where photos of completed builds are shown.  Photos are limited to five per build.  The gallery usually locks when the GB finishes.

The Poll - a vote held after the close of a GB.  The poll is optional, and depends on the host, or a co-host, putting it together.  To be eligible for the poll, a build must be in the gallery.

Newbie, newbi, newby, noob - shortened form of new boy (i.e. new person or new player).  A person who has recently joined; typically a recent recruit to a forum, or an online game.  Inexperience (in the current context).

The term has spilt into RL, so may be encountered in a work context.

Equivalent term to recruit or to rookie.

On 25/03/2021 at 04:01, RC Boater Bill said:

I think I understand how GBs are started-  someone posts a thread with a candidate, and people reply saying they would participate.  If it gets 30+ people committed, it goes to some sort of voting process(?), and if some  criteria is met, it gets scheduled. 

Generally correct.  GBs need 30 or more supporters before they go ahead to the bun fight.
STGBs need 25 or more supporters.

Supporters, in this context, are people who say they would participate.
(Off topic, 'say they would participate' can be treated very loosely by a GB proposer.  Personally, I've learned not to ask a question or comment in a GB proposal unless I'm prepared to be added to the supporters list.)

The GB Moderator may, at their discretion, put a GB into the Current or Future group builds, by-passing the usual chat and Bun Fight.

To join a GB (or STGB), all you need to do is to start a thread in that build's forum while the build is active.

There is no requirement to sign up before-hand.

The model to be built should be less than 25% complete before joining the build, but that rule may be waived or adapted depending on circumstance.
How the 25% is assessed is a dark and mysterious art, known only to the modeller and host involved.

Completing a GB is encouraged, but is not a requirement.  People have a life (RL) beyond these forums, and that can interfere with participation here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

@RC Boater Bill , as a relative newbie here , I restarted modelling a couple of years ago after the best part of 30 years away .. I blame seeing the Airfix new tool B-17G  .. it brought back memories of cut fingers , humbrol cement and 'A Bit O Lace' risky artwork.

GB's of any type are awesome no matter how many models you have built , your skill levels etc.  I find them a great source of help and advice - from reading other peoples work in progress threads or by asking questions on mine.  The real plus side for me is that is gives focus on finishing a model ... otherwise all my models would be 90% finished sitting of the shelf of  'I will finish it sometime' .  I know my 1/48 Revell Tornado build came out 1000% better because I built it in the STGB last year - all the fellow builders there were so helpful :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread has turned into an excellent resource for people new to the Groupbuild experience.   @Robert Stuart has asked me if we can keep the thread as a reference, so I am going to move it to the Groupbuilds FAQ section.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5