PM Model Hawker Sea Fury FB 11, RAN, HMAS Albatross; Nowra, New South Wales...1/72nd scale...

According to the Inter-web, this was part of an aerobatic team.  That's Ok, I suppose.  I am not sure of it saw combat.  It probably did. The kit does rockets for the underwing area...With all the fiddly PE and resin I am playing with elsewhere, I figured this very simple looking kit will do me well and keep my hat in the ANZGB ring!  I'll build it right OOB and be mindful of the decals because they look a bit shady.  We shall see!

Here's the box art...

51068984481_f53d506d37_c_d.jpg

The sprue...

51069075837_8f6569a9c0_c_d.jpg

The instructions...

51068984416_ea1e044d10_c_d.jpg

Decals...

51068277598_20d972e233_c_d.jpg

I know nothing of the Sea Fury. So any hints about weathering, prop colour, etc...would be very helpful.  I am not a rivet router, so if the wings are not the right length, shape, etc...I won't be fixing them.  As most of you know, I am big fan of the '75cm Rule.'

Cheers!

John

• Like 8

As a display aircraft, clean, very little or no weathering maybe a little exhaust staining.   I’d guess the prop is standard black with yellow tips.

AW

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

As a display aircraft, clean, very little or no weathering maybe a little exhaust staining.   I’d guess the prop is standard black with yellow tips.

AW

Excellent AW.  All the info I need.  Thank you.

• Like 1

I found this excellent photo on Aeropedia.  It shows a sleek, very clean, unarmed display/aerobatic aircraft.  I think, for the purposes of this particular build, I will go in this direction.  This image also confirms AW's advice.  It also shows the colour of the wheel well interior--zinc oxide yellow.  And barely any exhaust stain.  Clean and shiny. Black prop, yellow tips.

51001296450_4156e10961_c_d.jpg

I have the Trumpeter Sea Fury for a more aggressive build id we ever do that FAA GB I am itching for...😉

--John

• Like 3

This kit will be a 'Beauty is skin deep' build...aka, 'Not much Inside.'  With some work and aftermarket bits I mmm sure the more skilled modeller could really juke this up.  This one, for me, is all about outside appearances.  

51084610052_6937f0e3d2_c_d.jpg

I'll mask the prop tips later and give it some black.

--John

• Like 7

The fuselage and wings and all that are on.  Cowling too.  Some PPP took care of the gaps in the wing roots.  I also filled in the machine gun ports as this is a display aircraft.  So no rockets, no fuel pod...sleek.  And very blue.  And shiny.  I'll get to use that gloss varnish I have.

51086282611_758c245aea_c_d.jpg'

Masks on...

51001338919_86572a4f22_c_d.jpg

Masks off...

51086358227_6f503394a0_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

Looks like Sydney Camm just nicked the cowling and exhaust layout off a Focke-Wulf!

I imagine there were lots of reverse engineering going on late in the war and beyond.

20 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

Great progress mate.  Looks like Sydney Camm just nicked the cowling and exhaust layout off a Focke-Wulf!

Or a Lavochkin La5/La7!

AW

• Like 2

More than one way to skin a cat...the tail section was dry enough to handle.  The nose a little wet.  So I let it hang to dry.

51108521874_241614b265_c_d.jpg

The Vallejo Glossy Sea Blue looks about right...

51108521864_3737c430bb_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

Crossed fingers folks...The decals look quite sturdy.

51112861060_b8e6477f4d_c_d.jpg

And that doesn't look half bad, for a demonstration/stunt/display aircraft!  I might leave it as is and take better pictures tomorrow on some tarmac and with better light.  It looks a bit green in this LED lighting...real daylight will fix that!

51111513307_179fbe64e7_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

On 4/10/2021 at 3:07 AM, Peter Lloyd said:

Great progress mate.  Looks like Sydney Camm just nicked the cowling and exhaust layout off a Focke-Wulf!

Does anybody know the providence of PM Models' kits?

Apart from 'Butcher Bird', another epithet that was applied to the FW190 was something to the effect of 'the aircraft that taught the world how to cowl radials.'  I gather from @TCinLA's review of a Grumman Bearcat kit on Modeling Madness that the Bearcat was influenced by the FW190A-5.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1