Sd.Kfz 7/1 - interior colour

Jnunu

Hi. Linked to a similar recent post re interiors of half tracks etc - I am building the Sd.Kfz 7/1 - Tamiya 1/35. The paint instructions are "vague" but seem to imply a Dunkelgrau cab interior (or at least don't say it should be any other colour than the chassis etc). 

Do I assume rightly?

Thanks

J

I'd think it very likely, as the interior is visible you wouldn't want it "white" like a tank interior..here's a pic of an albeit different half track that you can just about see the interior of, it certainly looks dark grey to me, matching the exterior I'd say..it definitely isn't some other lighter shade... I'd think this would be standard among exposed interior vehicles...the sdkfz 7 below it again you can just make out interior panels that look like the exterior, finding period interior shots isn't easy !

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

I'd think it very likely, as the interior is visible you wouldn't want it "white" like a tank interior..here's a pic of an albeit different half track that you can just about see the interior of, it certainly looks dark grey to me, matching the exterior I'd say..it definitely isn't some other lighter shade... I'd think this would be standard among exposed interior vehicles...the sdkfz 7 below it again you can just make out interior panels that look like the exterior, finding period interior shots isn't easy !

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks. Makes sense. 👍

• Like 1

Open vehicles of all types were the same colour inside as outside from the factory, although enclosed areas not externally visible could be elfenbein.  So your 7/1 cab interior will be dunkelgrau or dunkelgelb as per the exterior.

Modern thinking would say to paint the interior of that 251 a lighter colour to counteract the dark shadow effect of the open top.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Open vehicles of all types were the same colour inside as outside from the factory, although enclosed areas not externally visible could be elfenbein.  So your 7/1 cab interior will be dunkelgrau or dunkelgelb as per the exterior.

Modern thinking would say to paint the interior of that 251 a lighter colour to counteract the dark shadow effect of the open top.

Thanks for that. 👍