Buccaneer wing fold question

12jaguar

Morning

I'm building the new Airfix Buccaneer S2B straight out of the box. I have a query though on the upper surface wing fold area on an aircraft with the wings extended

The instructions have you fit a reinforcing piece (part nos B7 and B8) before fitting the outer upper wings. However this would leave the forward wing hinge joint exposed when ordinarily you'd expect there to be an aerodynamic cover plate. Is this a feature of late Buccs as I've seen on other aircraft I've worked on where there is increased inspection activity that non-critical panels can be omitted to gain regular access. Notably Airfix provide alternative parts B9 and 10 on the sprues which are not mentioned but would fair in the hinge

Any help from Bucc experts would be much appreciated as I've already glued them in so will have to fair in with putty if needed.😒

cheers

John

6 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

The instructions have you fit a reinforcing piece (part nos B7 and B8) before fitting the outer upper wings. However this would leave the forward wing hinge joint exposed when ordinarily you'd expect there to be an aerodynamic cover plate. Is this a feature of late Buccs as I've seen on other aircraft I've worked on where there is increased inspection activity that non-critical panels can be omitted to gain regular access.

Some RAF Buccaneers didn't have the covers for the hinges fitted; only the front covers were removed on some machines, both covers were taken off on others. As far as I can tell this started in the mid to late 1970s; a quick run though a collection of photos and books suggest that the remaining RN Buccaneers also had the covers removed about the same time.

Photos from Thunder and Lightnings   - https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/

je_xv357ark73_2.jpg

wade04.jpg

13 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Is this a feature of late Buccs as I've seen on other aircraft I've worked on where there is increased inspection activity that non-critical panels can be omitted to gain regular access.

Yep, that is exactly the reason. Courtesy of the fatigue problems with the main spars it got very repetitive. I was on the Bucc OCU 84-86. Even back then, certain main spar bolts would have to be removed and the aircraft stress jacked for NDT every 1 FI.

Rob.

I was an OCU rigger '78 to early '80 and none of our aircraft (all S2A) had the hinge covers fitted.  This was before the spar failure accident.

Trevor

This is something that varied over the years and in different contexts.  There are photos of Buccs from the late 60s onward with open hatches, closed hatches or just the front one open.  The FAA seemed to have the panels on more often than not which makes sense I suppose with the potential for corrosion.  Both front and back panels are removed here.

1881B6B9-C729-499E-88E3-3763B08F68CC