1/35 Chevrolet LRDG Command Car

Si just had a great thought.

IanC put the idea into my brain box.

LDRG & SAS.   What about an SAS Jeep. Tamiya do one in 1.35.

What a diorama an LDRG truck & an SAS Jeep meeting in the desert which they regularly did. You could have the crews all sitting around eating, That would be quite something.

I think everyone agrees you should do this 🤣😊😂

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

4 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes that's true. In between smashing up Luftwaffe aircraft and stuff they also drove around introducing Allied troops to 16th Century literature, philosophy and art. No mean feat. 

Apologies Laurie. Nipping off to get my coat now.... 😄

Simon - fantastic model. Very nicely done indeed.

Thanks Ian much appreciated 

4 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Si just had a great thought.

IanC put the idea into my brain box.

LDRG & SAS.   What about an SAS Jeep. Tamiya do one in 1.35.

What a diorama an LDRG truck & an SAS Jeep meeting in the desert which they regularly did. You could have the crews all sitting around eating, That would be quite something.

I think everyone agrees you should do this 🤣😊😂

Laurie

I've seen an LRDG/SAS diorama on Scalemates.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't do another one!

3 hours ago, Paolo Tarantino said:

and this is the idea but I think the base is tto big and will be too much empty desert !!!

Think we can expand a bit. Base is OK but to fill with diorama detail.

First the sand was not flat in most cases there are furrow & undulation quite large.

There are also rocks sticking up & large rock ledges sticking out. The LRDG & SAS used these as protection from enemy aircraft.

There are also trees,vegetation & scrub. So a lot of details can be fitted in. Both LRDG & SAS used camouflage nest to hide themselves during the day light hours.

Another idea. To the Southwest of the desert, many miles from the main desert road, there was a cluster of deserted house hovels. Both SAS & LRDG used this as a location for drop supplies & resting area rather than return to base. They aslo had a fuel dump there. That would all make a cracking diorama.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! I really need to stop looking at RFI's... With another excellent example I've now decided I need to add the LRDG Chevy to my stash.... Another drain on time, space and money!

Ignoring my grumbling about my lack of willpower - that looks excellent! I think just the right amount of weathering, a lovely finish on it. 

44 minutes ago, ModelMonkey said:

Argh! I really need to stop looking at RFI's... With another excellent example I've now decided I need to add the LRDG Chevy to my stash.... Another drain on time, space and money!

Ignoring my grumbling about my lack of willpower - that looks excellent! I think just the right amount of weathering, a lovely finish on it. 

Thanks ModelMonkey appreciated 

Its a great little kit with so much scope. 

19 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Fantastic job Simon!

I have one in my stash, now I know where to look.

Cheers,

Nenad

Thanks Nenad much appreciated 

It's a lovely kit to build and as I've said before in this thread there is so much scope. Go for it, you will not be disappointed I'm sure.

Si 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:15 AM, LaurieS said:

Very right Carius the history of the Long Range dessert Group is very interesting.

Alot think they were blowing up this & that but they were a renaissance squad. Feeding information back to command headquarters.

Not to be mixed, but there was affinity, between them & the SAS. Neither just to add were the SAS gungho. Their exploits, there are loads of books, were superbly planned.

Laurie

My girlfriends great uncle 'Charlie' was part of the Long range desert group, sadly I never had the chance to meet him but from what I've heard he had a crazy time of it. The exact reason is unclear but he was the only survivor in his group after an explosion losing a leg during the ordeal

1 hour ago, RiotRolo said:

My girlfriends great uncle 'Charlie' was part of the Long range desert group, sadly I never had the chance to meet him but from what I've heard he had a crazy time of it. The exact reason is unclear but he was the only survivor in his group after an explosion losing a leg during the ordeal

The LDRG ran up & down the length of the desert on the desert side the towns on the seaside. Typically at each town where the Italians later Germans occupied they would drop off a couple of men then proceed onwards. Returning picking up theiri men with information gleaned.

The SAS did similar. Before a raid they dropped off one or two men. They would contact the British friendly arabs. Remember the part I read where they would make tea. This seemed to be boiled, cooled then boiled again the ritual continued. They then drank the tea with sugar no milk. Th e SAS apparently got to like it.

They had the help of these friendly arabs in organising raids. The stories, (true) of these two great units are fasinating. Seems the British loved the desert they were very much at home the Italians hated it.

Laurie

2 hours ago, RiotRolo said:

Thanks for the message RiotRolo. 

Fascinating, a very elite and little known group of very bold and brave men. As well as the SAS in their infancy. I would love to research my family wartime history but alas there are only a few hours in the day to do such things, modelling, paying bills, keeping the other half happy etc etc🤣🤣🤣

Respect to your girlfriends great uncle  Charlie 

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

The LDRG ran up & down the length of the desert on the desert side the towns on the seaside. Typically at each town where the Italians later Germans occupied they would drop off a couple of men then proceed onwards. Returning picking up theiri men with information gleaned.

The SAS did similar. Before a raid they dropped off one or two men. They would contact the British friendly arabs. Remember the part I read where they would make tea. This seemed to be boiled, cooled then boiled again the ritual continued. They then drank the tea with sugar no milk. Th e SAS apparently got to like it.

They had the help of these friendly arabs in organising raids. The stories, (true) of these two great units are fasinating. Seems the British loved the desert they were very much at home the Italians hated it.

Laurie

Very interesting Laurie, local arabs and tea would make another great and interesting diorama. Modelling however seems to take up most time so reading about this sort of stuff is difficult time wise. Thanks for the info though👍