1/35 Chevrolet LRDG Command Car

Hi Folks

This is my latest build.  Now this may sound like a contradiction, its finished, but not finished.  Its finished in that I have done so far what I want to. However I plan doing a diorama in the future and adding lots more (extra eqp, camo net.  I also have several other kits with the same idea in mind. The only thing really holding me back is the figure painting (my nemesis).

Anyhow here we go

Tamiya 1/35 LRDG Command Car

Additions to OOB: Head phone cable, Aerial, Vickers MG coolant pipe and ammo box holder, sun dial & BAR rear strap.

Paint: Tamiya Acrylics, Humbrol & XTRAcolor enamels, Vallejo & MIG acrylics. Various oils, Flory wash & pigments & Tamiya Panel Line Accent.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and I will post pics when I have my head around figures.

Take care all 

Si

• Like 41

12 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Great work Si very niceley  put together.

Great time on the weathering. Figures yes not easy.

Carry on the great work look forward to the diorama.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie much appreciated. 

You take care 

Si 

Hello Simon, I totally agree with Mr Laurie, great work indeed.

The old lines of this vehicle are very beautiful and the adventures of the LRDG in the desert war are very interesting.

I built one of these too, my proud.

Cheers from Brazil

Edited by Carius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carius said:

The old lines of this vehicle are very beautiful and the adventures of the LRDG in the desert war are very interesting.

Cheers from Brazil

Very right Carius the history of the Long Range dessert Group is very interesting.

Alot think they were blowing up this & that but they were a renaissance squad. Feeding information back to command headquarters.

Not to be mixed, but there was affinity, between them & the SAS. Neither just to add were the SAS gungho. Their exploits, there are loads of books, were superbly planned.

Laurie

• Like 2

That's a great finish. Suitably desert worn and sand scoured!

I have this on my wish list. The figures lend themselves to a diorama, but like you I'm not confident in figure painting yet. Something else that needs to be practiced.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Great work Si very niceley  put together.

Great time on the weathering. Figures yes not easy.

Carry on the great work look forward to the diorama.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie

Much appreciated

15 hours ago, Carius said:

Cheers from Brazil

Thanks Carius

They are great kits to make with such a lot that you can do with them.  LRDG used to have to beg, borrow or steal some of their equipment, even using aircraft machine guns or captured Breda 20mm canons.  So the worlds your oyster.

Thanks again much appreciated

Si

3 hours ago, Trevor L said:

That's a great finish. Suitably desert worn and sand scoured!

I have this on my wish list. The figures lend themselves to a diorama, but like you I'm not confident in figure painting yet. Something else that needs to be practiced.

Thanks Trevor

As and when you get one you definitely wont be disappointed, its a great kit and open to lots of opportunities

Thanks again much appreciated

Si

3 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Had a look on figure painting & thses came up. Worth having a look.

Laurie

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=painting+scale+model+figures

Thanks Laurie

I will take a look.  I have done about 4 figures for the first diorama I posted.  Wasn't really happy with them but as the old saying goes practice makes perfect

3 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Excellent... I'm particularly impressed by the bench seat..top class work !

Thank you 

Much appreciated

Si

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Really looks good,I have one somewhere,but it won't look that good

Much appreciated thank you

Dig it out and give it a go.  Its a great kit and there is so much scope.  Its a bit like WW2 German armour camouflage, used what ever was available in that area with no set pattern, just slap it on for that type of terrain. Even seen them with German MG34's

Thanks again

Si

8 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Excellent!

Thank you

Much appreciated

Si

On 23/03/2021 at 19:26, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Folks

This is my latest build.  Now this may sound like a contradiction, its finished, but not finished.  Its finished in that I have done so far what I want to. However I plan doing a diorama in the future and adding lots more (extra eqp, camo net.  I also have several other kits with the same idea in mind. The only thing really holding me back is the figure painting (my nemesis).

Anyhow here we go

Tamiya 1/35 LRDG Command Car

Additions to OOB: Head phone cable, Aerial, Vickers MG coolant pipe and ammo box holder, sun dial & BAR rear strap.

Paint: Tamiya Acrylics, Humbrol & XTRAcolor enamels, Vallejo & MIG acrylics. Various oils, Flory wash & pigments & Tamiya Panel Line Accent.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and I will post pics when I have my head around figures.

Take care all 

Si

Ciao great job Simon !!!!  I also made the same veichle and thinking for a small diorama !!!

Ciaoo  Paolo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Paolo (hope I've got that right)?

Thank you for your comments. Would be nice to see your build and perhaps when it comes to the diorama we could help each other out. Perhaps PM me?

Si

Ciao Simon,

Yes of course, here a couple of pics; there more in the topich " Chevrolet LRDG" by Paolo Tarantino into " work in progress" areaspacer.pngspacer.png

24 minutes ago, Paolo Tarantino said:

Ciao Simon,

Yes of course, here a couple of pics; there more in the topich " Chevrolet LRDG" by Paolo Tarantino into " work in progress" areaspacer.pngspacer.png

Oooogh Im really sorry for my complete ignorance but what should I call you? Paolo? 😱

That looks superb, the wooden box in the back with the Thompson is fantastic. Also you have your decals absolutely spot on. Mine unfortunately are still showing the outline😭

Thanks for showing me/us, really really great build. Will be a bit off yet but when I have done the diorama I will let you know. Would be nice to see yours too, perhaps we can help each other out

Thanks again 

Apologies for my ignorance again😭

Take care

Si 

13 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Oooogh Im really sorry for my complete ignorance but what should I call you? Paolo? 😱

That looks superb, the wooden box in the back with the Thompson is fantastic. Also you have your decals absolutely spot on. Mine unfortunately are still showing the outline😭

Thanks for showing me/us, really really great build. Will be a bit off yet but when I have done the diorama I will let you know. Would be nice to see yours too, perhaps we can help each other out

Thanks again 

Apologies for my ignorance again😭

Take care

Si 

Ciao my name is Paolo is correct don't worry your ignorance is much appreciated :)))))

Thanks for you  comment; did you find the others pics? Now I'm painting some figures from MasterBox I will send you pics.

Stay safe

Paolo  

25 minutes ago, Paolo Tarantino said:

Ciao my name is Paolo is correct don't worry your ignorance is much appreciated :)))))

Thanks for you  comment; did you find the others pics? Now I'm painting some figures from MasterBox I will send you pics.

Stay safe

Paolo  

Yes I have a lot of ignorance Paolo. My wife told me.

Laurie

On 3/24/2021 at 12:15 AM, LaurieS said:

Alot think they were blowing up this & that but they were a renaissance squad.

Yes that's true. In between smashing up Luftwaffe aircraft and stuff they also drove around introducing Allied troops to 16th Century literature, philosophy and art. No mean feat. 

Apologies Laurie. Nipping off to get my coat now.... 😄

Simon - fantastic model. Very nicely done indeed.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, IanC said:

Yes that's true. In between smashing up Luftwaffe aircraft and stuff they also drove around introducing Allied troops to 16th Century literature, philosophy and art. No mean feat. 

Apologies Laurie. Nipping off to get my coat now.... 😄

Simon - fantastic model. Very nicely done indeed.

Uh this is a problem Ian. LDRG were basically gathers of what the Italians later the Germans were doing. It was the SAS who were destroying aircraft & facilities

Some of the SAS work was incredible. They would creep into the work shops where the enemy was working & lay explosives. Come out & put explosives on the aircraft. Mostly at night.

Laurie