A-4KU Skyhawk "Free Kuwait"

I spent the past few days coating the whole parts with mr.color super clear and leave it to dry.

Afterwards, wheels were installed, then washing with Ammo Mig Deep Grey panel line wash for the upperside, and medium grey for the underside, while the wheel wells received tamiya dark brown wash. 

20210409-191147.jpg

The medium grey also give slight faded effect and somehow slightly desert tan hue... 

Which I added some more by washing the model with highly thinned AK's Landing gear dust, and then sweep it off with damp brush and cotton buds...

IMG-20210409-WA0023.jpg

20210409-225302.jpg

Pretty happy with the result, I just hope I didn't go too heavy and made the color changed too much though...

I also concerned about some other things; first, the slats which made me a bit worried. It looks too far out and the angle was too flat to my eyes. We have a former Indonesian Air Force's Skyhawk maintenance officer who said the same thing when I showed the above picture. I'll try to fix it... But can't promise since it's already glued and the kit structure is too brittle. 

The other thing was the speed brakes.. I never saw pictures of it opened while parking. Our local Skyhawk expert also said the same thing. I think having it opened will add some visual interest, so I cut out the actuating rods so I can half open.

While the build continue with preparing the loadout

20210409-220008.jpg

Drilled small holes and put wire to it to add more strength.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 7

Looking very good Mario.

The washes have given a nice faded look and added details to the panel lines.

Your Indonesian Skyhawk maintenance officer is quite right about the air brakes, they should be closed on a parked up Skyhawk, but you can sometimes find pictures of them partially open when on the ground.

• Like 1

Gear doors, flaps, tanks and bombs glued on..

Followed by matt coat using Mig Lucky Varnish...

And I realize, I forgot about the ejection seat. This will not to obvious in the small cockpit, but I decide to add seat belts using masking tape, and some sort of buckle using lead wire.

20210414-012820.jpg

Same type of wire also use for the side ejection handle.

20210414-012840.jpg

It directly inserted into the cockpit. Followed by the canppy.

Small parts (antennas, pitot, etc) added... I decided to replace the antenna in front of the canopy with the one I made from plastic card and wire. More in scale, instead of the kit part. 

I also add Remove Before Flight tags for the bombs and it's pylon. I used aluminum foil strips, cut into 4mm long, and 0.5mm wide strips and paint it red. 

The next thing I know... It's done!

20210414-233003.jpg

20210414-233018.jpg

Looking at the pictures and the model itself, I can see a lot of imperfections, some of it was actually basic modelling skills which all of it is my fault..

But it's done for now...

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 11

Thank you very much guys... :thumbsup:

I enjoy the build, and learned new stuff, especially about Skyhawks. And now I'm thinking about joining the Skyhawk GB, next door ;)

RFI will be up shortly...

20210415-095540.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...