Japanese Bulldog - Nakajima JSSF No. 2

Good day all,

Today I have for inspection a modified version of the old Airfix Bristol Bulldog. While both of the kit provided decal schemes, an RAF and a Swedish option, are quite nice, I decided I wanted to build something a little different after learning that the Nakajima Aircraft company license-produced 2 Bulldogs with slight modifications. In the case of the second machine, a cowl ring was fitted, along with wheel spats and a new exhaust system. I took the cowl ring from a Monogram F11, the prop from a Matchbox Fury, and the wheel spats from an AModel Fury II to modify the kit, along with leftover decals from a Rising Decals Resin set for a Ki-43 with underwing rockets. Together, these produced the final product:

Nakajima JSSF No.2 Nakajima JSSF No.2

Overall, I feel I could have done a slightly better job of painting this one, and the underwing decals came out very 'bubbly' for an unknown reason - they looked fine until varnish was applied. In the future, I plan to build another Bulldog, and I may even build the JSSF No.1, which lacked the cowl ring and spats but featured streamlined cylinder fairings instead, which I could source from a Zvezda ANT-5. 

Thanks for checking in,

Stay safe,

Tweener

• Like 23

On 3/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Very interesting, I didn't know the Japanese produced licence built Bulldogs. You've done a lovely job in representing the type.

Pete

They seem to have produced very limited numbers of a couple different American and British types in the late 20's / early 30's, which definitely makes for some interesting build ideas!

On 3/24/2021 at 5:45 AM, Toryu said:

That's a nice idea. A rare Bulldog variation, and very well scratched together! Looking forward to No. 1.

No.1 will definitely be more difficult but I look forward to it as well!

On 3/24/2021 at 7:08 AM, gingerbob said:

Lovely, but deserving of a few more photos!

In the coming days I plan to take some outdoor shots of my last few completed builds and I will try to add them to this space as well!

On 3/24/2021 at 7:14 AM, Wulfman said:

Lovely build and interestingly different !

Wulfman

Thank you!

On 3/24/2021 at 7:43 AM, Homer said:

Nice to see something new, she looks beautiful. 

Nice to build something different as well, thank you!

Nicely done!

One small historical issue. The prop is the wrong pitch for a Bristol Jupiter engine The Kestral in the Hawker Fury and the Jupiter on a Bulldog rotate in opposite directions.

A small detail that an old, anal-retentive feels he should mention.

Chris