Something Architectural (II) - Nissen Hut

Paul821

Have got the go ahead to proceed I present my second entry in this GB

DSC04894

For the stats:

Manufacturer:  Amera

Type: Vac form - with enhancements

Scale: 1/72 - 1/76 (that is what the web site says!)

Period: WW2

First stage is to clear the paintwork off.

Depending on Royal Mail Something Architectural (III) should launch tomorrow/Thursday.

For the 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

I have made many Nissen huts from scratch so will be interested in what you do  . . . . . .

I need a number of Nissen huts for the Exercise Meteor project and I was tempted by scratch building using  3D printer ends and windows. This might still be my way forward but I saw this as a challenge for this GB. One problem with buying commercial 1/72 - 1/176 is the size difference between then, that is even allowing for the scale difference.  I have looked at Hornby/Skaledale, Metcalfe, Ratio and Amera, plus there are some on HO scale as well. This extends to other scales. Some time ago I had a 1:144 / 1:48 scale airfield and again huts differed in size and none we half the size of their larger brethren.

After an hour or so in an empty ice cream tub, after a coating of Revell Paint remover the hut needed a scrub down and wash to achieve this

DSC04906

The end is fairly well detailed but the windows and doors need some attention

DSC04907

Lastly  I mentioned in the previous post about scale, Well Nissen Huts generally were 16ft or 24ft wide. This measures out at

DSC04908

In 1:72 scale this is 14' 8" approx'  and 1:76 15' 5" so pretty good for an OO gauge railway.

Surgery for this is set for tomorrow.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mancunian airman said:

Ends were usually  timber or rendered brick . .

DSC04909

That is why my first action has been to remove the ends, and also much of the side windows..

I can actually see a couple of Nissen huts from our house as the farm buildings opposite include them. However these a 24ft huts and have more modern ends. There are some original huts within a short distance of our house but until 12th April they are out of bounds,  

Therefore for this build I will be relying on this book:

DSC04911

• Like 3

A slight break with this particular build but in the GB chat I referred to this site

http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

where there is a free download of a couple of Nissen huts, well I could not resist and they were duly downloaded. I cannot share a shot of the download as the owner of the site requests that you only direct people to the site above.

A fairly quick start and the only real issue is that the length of the huts does lead some problems in keeping them straight, so back to the old trusted coffee stirrers.

DSC04919_resize

The completed build is:

DSC04920_resize

weathering is by scrapings from Artists Crayons.

I do seem to have something of an obsession with Nissen huts

DSC04921_resize

and that excludes  this build and the one included in the Airfix A06903 WWII USAAF Airfield Set

as thee is no separate build thread for this one and I am not posting it in either of the galleries it should not appear in the stats for the GB rather it is a research project to inform the main build

• Like 3

There's plenty of mushroom farmers who'll tell you that you can never have too many Nissan huts!\

Though I don't think I've come across anyone who collected models of them. I'km fascinated, have you got a Metcalfe one in the collection? I can't immediately spot it, and what are the pair second from the left? They look undersize, but not undersize enough to be 'n'?

Ps Thanks for not muddying the mystic spreadsheet further! Actually I think the spreadsheet is holding up its the data monkey driving it that's the problem

@Mjwomack

to answer the question

Left to right:

N gauge: Metcalfe this is original version and it have been reissued with laser cut parts

2mm 1/150th/‘N’ Grmodels (resin)

1:144 scale - Corgi, issued as part of their Aviation Archive series

do but repainted

1:72 http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

OO (1:76) Metcalfe 

Fliightpath makes 1/72 and 1/48 scale Nissen huts with 2 types of ends along with airfield huts in the same scales. They have other structures and equipment, too.

15 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

The next GB, would it qualify as a single type GB?

I'd sign up for that!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Fliightpath makes 1/72 and 1/48 scale Nissen huts with 2 types of ends along with airfield huts in the same scales. They have other structures and equipment, too.

I'd sign up for that!

I wish you had not brought the flightpath site to my notice - I see a brass etch build making its way to this GB.

As to a NIssen Hut GB - how about an anything but aircraft GB, where you can include anything seen at an airfield other than planes?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

I wish you had not brought the flightpath site to my notice - I see a brass etch build making its way to this GB.

As to a NIssen Hut GB - how about an anything but aircraft GB, where you can include anything seen at an airfield other than planes?

Yeah... I just saw the Control Tower...

I'd sign up for that GB too! Structures, machinery, and vehicles, oh my!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After completing "The Bull Inn"  the second of my builds in this GB to benefit from my renewed determination to complete all my entries is this one,

First thing to note is the number of huts has doubled as I found the other one in a box that had not been touched since my house move last year.

DSC04373

While preparing the ends I found that, despite my comments above the hits are actually slightly too large for 1:76, some I have cut down the second one to scale, When complete on "Exercise Meteor" they will be far enough apart for the difference not to show. The major challenge now are the eight windows required.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One month later and with the impending end of te GB looming, it is time to get back to work on this one,

DSC04961

Still a work in progress but I feel more confident about getting it into a Gallery before the end date.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

During the last weekend of the GB something had to and the Nissen Huts failed to make the end point

51304290557_ec108ae0f3_m.jpg

I was not happy with the build anyway and for some the paint was not taking correctly. They will get completed but not here.

• Sad 1