US Navy Seahawk recovered

RAF4EVER

I bet I'm the only one not looking at the Helicopter but taking in all the details of the ROV and the funky heave comp system for the lift line! 30 years of 'flying' them around does strange things to one's brain 😆.

Duncan B

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, exdraken said:

recovered from 19.000 feet  (6.000m) depth in the ocean!

is this really worth it?

but wow, still looking reasonably good after a year under water...

Wonder if there was/is some sensitive equipment they'd like to keep from prying eyes, hence the decision to recover the wreck?

Edge

On 3/23/2021 at 5:05 PM, F-32 said:

That looks surprisingly good for spending that much time that far down!

I guess apart from water and lots of pressure there is not much down there... no light , low oxygen, low temp....

• Like 1

I wonder if the reason they wanted it recovered, apart from any sensitive equipment, is to find out what failed and why it crashed in the first place?

I would agree with earlier posts, looks in good condition for having been that far down in the ocean. At 19075ft it was having to withstand pressure to the equivalent of 8245.12psi, or 561.05atm (atmospheres) - that's a hell of a lot of pressure and it still looks in a reasonable good condition!

As long as there’s no bubbles or voids, the pressure both sides is the same so wouldn’t be anything to collapse.  If it sank down quite slowly any voids may have filled long before pressure differential arose.  In theory.  No different to plenty of items that used to be sitting undamaged from the Titanic at similar depths.  Ironically the most likely to crush would be any pressure vessels aboard!

• Like 2

On 3/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, exdraken said:

recovered from 19.000 feet  (6.000m) depth in the ocean!

is this really worth it?

but wow, still looking reasonably good after a year under water...

Can't help thinking that in cases like this, the authorities concerned may treat a recovery, even if it had no real financial/technical/humanitrian benefits, as practice in order to keep skills sharp for instances that MAY actually matter & which are thereby more likely to be successful.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 11:14 AM, Duncan B said:

I bet I'm the only one not looking at the Helicopter but taking in all the details of the ROV and it's funky heave comp system for the umbilical! 30 years of 'flying' them around does strange things to one's brain 😆.

Duncan B

I think you're probably right about that. 😂

I note the comments about the state of preservation of the Helicopter. That reminds me of the USS Lexington which sank to a depth of a mere 9, 800 feet, (I looked it up). Remember how both it and its aeroplanes looked?

Surely bringing up a Wildcat, TBD or SBD would be more than than possible.