New Airbus Union Jack jet for UK

Paul J

And in other news the Defence Review confirmed that the, already planned, withdrawal of the BAe146 fleet including 2x VIP configured CC2, would happen “by 2022”.

Given the depressed state of the airliner market at the present time, including depressed leasing rates, there is probably no better time to do a deal.

• Like 3

Let's keep the politics out of this though folks. 

It looks very spiffy in the Union Jack colours.  It's a handsome flag afterall :)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

Let's keep the politics out of this though folks. 

It looks very spiffy in the Union Jack colours.  It's a handsome flag afterall :)

Better remove 'brexit' from the thread title then.. ;) 

• Mike changed the title to New Airbus Union Jack jet for UK
6 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Better remove 'brexit' from the thread title then.. ;) 

I was pondering that, as Paul was only quoting the terminology used by the article.  it's a fair point though, as I'm heartily sick of the word and have been for some time :puke:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EwenS said:

And in other news the Defence Review confirmed that the, already planned, withdrawal of the BAe146 fleet including 2x VIP configured CC2, would happen “by 2022”.

Given the depressed state of the airliner market at the present time, including depressed leasing rates, there is probably no better time to do a deal.

Having recently been involved with these ....they are a bit long in the tooth equally though I dont like this worrying in your face stuff ...im with Wellsprop subtly done is the way ahead

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Not keen tbh.

Although we do benefit from one of the more attractive and interesting flag designs, I don't think it works as fin design, never been a fan of it on the Red Arrows either.

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I wish the Union Flag aircraft had been painted in RAF Transport Command colours. Subtle and understated has, until now, been much more typical of British transports etc.

The A321 will not be operated by the RAF so no chance of a Transport Command scheme (attractive as that would be) so the livery will have been agreed in the contract that HMG has with Titan Air.

Mark

54 minutes ago, junglierating said:

😑 waste of money not required jingoism bit pathetic but then ive done my 22 so ive done with all that gin palace stuff....each to their own 

Reserving my own thoughts on the colour scheme, I doubt it acutally cost much (relative) as there is often a degree of customisation included in leasing aicraft. The aircraft may have been stripped anyway to remove a previous operators colours. On the other hand, someone may have received a handsome amount of money to design the paint scheme...

4 minutes ago, canberraman said:

The A321 will not be operated by the RAF so no chance of a Transport Command scheme (attractive as that would be) so the livery will have been agreed in the contract that HMG has with Titan Air.

Mark

I totally neglected to consider that!

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Reserving my own thoughts on the colour scheme, I doubt it acutally cost much (relative) as there is often a degree of customisation included in leasing aicraft. The aircraft may have been stripped anyway to remove a previous operators colours. On the other hand, someone may have received a handsome amount of money to design the paint scheme...

I totally neglected to consider that!

Still dont like it I'm sure the money can be spent elsewhere let think if they (the govt) want a special aeroplane maybe they could have freed up one of the 5 ?  air tanker a/c which are probably not being leased at the moment ....I'll shut up now before I'm told off but really I'm angry ....no accountability 😬🤬

41 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Still dont like it I'm sure the money can be spent elsewhere let think if they (the govt) want a special aeroplane maybe they could have freed up one of the 5 ?  air tanker a/c which are probably not being leased at the moment ....I'll shut up now before I'm told off but really I'm angry ....no accountability 😬🤬

I thought the point of Air Tanker / FSTA was that it could be operated flexibly. Air Tanker is even contracted to provide that service (to the best of my knowledge)...

I'm really not a fan of the scheme either.

Over on PPRuNe the story is that Airbus A321neo G-XATW referred to above will shortly be joined by a second A321neo G-GBNI (interesting registration for a U.K. govt aircraft) currently on the Airbus Finkenwerder, Hamburg production line.

Both aircraft were originally to have been leased to TCS World Travel and operated by Titan Airways for them. TCS are a luxury travel company with a number of VIP equipped aircraft including a B757-200 (with only 48 seats - just think of the legroom! 6.5ft of personal space per their website)and a Fokker 70 as well as access to chartered biz-jets of various types. Wonder how their business has been affected by the global downturn in travel?

So probably the aircraft were already being built to VIP configuration. Titan may be breathing a sigh of relief at finding a new customer so quickly.

Edited by EwenS
  • Like 2