Korean War ‘must have’ list?

AndyK2479

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Giorgio N,

Pretty close! From the Modelers' Guide to the Skyraider, by Jay Sherlock, the following details were paraphrased:

The Esci/Italeri 1/48 kit is the best choice for a Korean War AD, as it has the correct early inboard pylons, rounded windscreen, and spoked wheels. I don't know if the kit has the external armor fitted to the forward fuselage and under the wings, which would not be correct for a Korean War AD. The first 209 AD-4's only had two 20mm cannon, but subsequent AD-4's had four cannon fitted. Early examples had the pitot under the RH wing; later examples moved it to the LE of the fin; Some had the wing nav lights on the LE, the remainder had them centered on the tip. If the Tamiya AD-6 is used, a lot more corrections would need to be made to backdate it to an AD-4, and the Hasegawa AD-6 is the variant we would have to use if wanting an AD-4 in 1/72 scale, but removing all of that external armor is a real pain!

Mike

Thanks Mike ! So sounds like Esci did their homework properly when they designed this kit, good to know. Now if only someone offered us 1/72 scale aficionados an early Skyraider from the box...

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Pretty close! From the Modelers' Guide to the Skyraider, by Jay Sherlock, the following details were paraphrased:

The Esci/Italeri 1/48 kit is the best choice for a Korean War AD, as it has the correct early inboard pylons, rounded windscreen, and spoked wheels. I don't know if the kit has the external armor fitted to the forward fuselage and under the wings, which would not be correct for a Korean War AD. The first 209 AD-4's only had two 20mm cannon, but subsequent AD-4's had four cannon fitted. Early examples had the pitot under the RH wing; later examples moved it to the LE of the fin; Some had the wing nav lights on the LE, the remainder had them centered on the tip. If the Tamiya AD-6 is used, a lot more corrections would need to be made to backdate it to an AD-4,

I noted that some later Korean Skyraider had the armour fitted.    The problem with the Esci/Italeri kit is it is a 70's era model,  so a bit basic and raised panel lines AFAIK (not one I own but I have some parts) as opposed to the Tamiya kit, which is 

So, the question if to start from a basic, but accurate in detail, or a better kit overall which needs some detail work?   

This is a build back to a Pre armour AD-4

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/mieslead4.htm

this is from @Tailspin Turtle blog about armor, and when it was fitted

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2013/07/ad-armor-all.html

also

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028194-tamiya´s-skyraider-to-korean-war-variant/

from what can be seen here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952333-ad-4-skyraider-148-italeri-vf-54-korea-1952-uss-essex/

the Italeri has the added armor panels as well.

HTH

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gmat said:

B-36s were deployed to the Far East as a show of force.

I remember my late father telling me when he was at Itazuke AB, Japan with the 8th FBG, two B-36's arrived, probably the ones as stated by @Gmat above. He said the B-36's took up so much ramp space that many of the group's Sabres had to be parked on the grass adjacent to the ramp! Wish he had taken photos!

Mike

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Just watch The Bridges at Toko-Ri and you know you´ll need a navy blue AD-4..

You got that right! Plus an F9F-5, and a Sikorsky HO3S-1  with a green top hat and scarf  hanging from the instrument panel! :like:

Mike

Are we EVER going to see a new-tool 1/72 F9F-5? (Sorry for the thread drift, but it had to be said!) :sorry:

• Like 2

Every collection should include the Panther, Corsair and the Sabre, but I think it should also include lesser known oddball types. Build a 1/48 RB-50G or a B-47B. Also consider the PB-1W, or the PB4Y-2. Let people know that you know history, not just the basics.  The oddest plane in the Korean War was a A-20G.  Second oddest?  An old Ki-86 in South Korean markings. Maybe a TBM-3E from Koto-ri.  Do you have a kit of Meteor Mk. 7 Trainer?

Edited by 28ZComeback

The A-20G was Russian or maybe Chinese AF, I guess.  The 35th TFW moved back to provide air defense of Japan and at least one of its squadrons flew F-86Es with a yellow band on the tail, (41st FIS?) thinner than on the jets in Korea. The 40th FIS F-86Es had a red band. 

F-86 40th FIS

Photo Rollan Yocum, Instagram. Pictures are hard to come by. 

Grant

• Like 2