F/A-18 Hornet RAAF (Italeri 1:72)

Hi All,

This was built for the A&NZ GB. The kit is very basic (though I wasn't a fan of the raised panel lines) so it made for a fun and simple build.

Build is here for anyone interested:

Cheers

Nigel

2kNmRWd%5D

2kNhLnr%5D

2kNmoTV%5D

2kNmRWJ%5D

2kNmoWA%5D

• Like 15

Nice clean build with excellent paintwork.

Only minor detail which is something you really need to have known about is the Australian legacy hornets don't use sidewinders, they run AIM 132 ASRAMS instead. Eduard make aftermarket ones in a few different scales. https://www.eduard.com/eduard/brassin/aircraft/1-72/aim-132-asraam-1-72.html
Only other user I'm aware of is the RAF.

The newer Australian Super Hornets and Growlers run the 9X. I'm guessing it's a systems compatibility thing and they can't run the newer sidewinders on older planes. The other possibility is the deal for Super Hornet's and Growlers also included weapons.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I am working on this one myself right now...It is my second kit ever..,.I am rescribing all panel lines though...I didn't know that this was such an old kit with raised panel lines....but you did a fine job!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ramtin said:

Oh I am working on this one myself right now...It is my second kit ever..,.I am rescribing all panel lines though...I didn't know that this was such an old kit with raised panel lines....but you did a fine job!

Hi, Thanks Ramtin. However, yours will so much better with the lines scribed!! Do you have a build thread for it?

39 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. You've done a great job with your Hornet. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, You're very kind. Not the greatest of builds but very enjoyable :happy:

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 17:30, wimbledon99 said:

Hi, Thanks Ramtin. However, yours will so much better with the lines scribed!! Do you have a build thread for it?

Unfortunately no. It is only my second build so didn't think about starting a thread. Didn't even know that it was a thing. Will do this for my next build though. And ofcourse I will share the f-18 as a ready for inspection thread!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 1:57 PM, Gidge said:

Nice clean build with excellent paintwork.

Only minor detail which is something you really need to have known about is the Australian legacy hornets don't use sidewinders, they run AIM 132 ASRAMS instead. Eduard make aftermarket ones in a few different scales. https://www.eduard.com/eduard/brassin/aircraft/1-72/aim-132-asraam-1-72.html
Only other user I'm aware of is the RAF.

The newer Australian Super Hornets and Growlers run the 9X. I'm guessing it's a systems compatibility thing and they can't run the newer sidewinders on older planes. The other possibility is the deal for Super Hornet's and Growlers also included weapons.

The issue with adding the ASRAAM to the Supers and Growlers would have been the cost of clearance testing, so the RAAF/Govt stuck with what was ready to go. ASRAAM for the classics was part of the HUG program and a factored in cost of the upgrades.

Nice job Nigel!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice job Nigel!

Thanks Ray :happy:

On 5/17/2021 at 6:51 PM, BerndM said:

Neat Hornet. Congratulations !

:thumbsup:

Many thanks Bernd :happy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The issue with adding the ASRAAM to the Supers and Growlers would have been the cost of clearance testing, so the RAAF/Govt stuck with what was ready to go. ASRAAM for the classics was part of the HUG program and a factored in cost of the upgrades.

Nice job Nigel!

A lot of money to spend on an aircraft that was initally undecided if we'd retain them long term or would only be a stopgap for the F-35