1/144 - Boeing B707-720 by Eastern Express - box art+3D renders

Homebee

Sorry to nit-pick over what I assume to be a typo but I think the thread needs to be retitled: "Boeing 707-120 by Eastern Express - box art.". The 707-120 being the first production 707 variant. The Boeing 720 was a later, shorter range, derivative design of the 707.  Compared to the 707-120, it had a length reduced by 9 feet (2.7 m).

We all knew that of course! :rolleyes:

I do wonder if this is actually the very ancient Frog kit from the 1950s?

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Boeing B707-720 by Eastern Express - box art+3D renders
On 3/23/2021 at 3:19 PM, RichG said:

Sorry to nit-pick over what I assume to be a typo but I think the thread needs to be retitled: "Boeing 707-120 by Eastern Express - box art.". The 707-120 being the first production 707 variant. The Boeing 720 was a later, shorter range, derivative design of the 707.  Compared to the 707-120, it had a length reduced by 9 feet (2.7 m).

We all knew that of course! :rolleyes:

I do wonder if this is actually the very ancient Frog kit from the 1950s?

Rich

Never owned one but wasn't the old Frog kit a -420, like the Airfix kit? Revell did a -120

On 12/17/2021 at 8:45 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

The computer drawings definitely depict a 707-120, and the alternate organ pipes for a JT-4 - powered -220, but not the bigger cowlings.  

Educate me please. In 1/144 scale would the difference in cowling size be obvious? The -220 means I could build the Braniff International 707. Lovely airplanes and I remember seeing them as a kid. Boy was that a long time ago! It was considered a huge airplane back then sitting on the San Antonio International Airport ramp.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Educate me please. In 1/144 scale would the difference in cowling size be obvious? The -220 means I could build the Braniff International 707. Lovely airplanes and I remember seeing them as a kid. Boy was that a long time ago! It was considered a huge airplane back then sitting on the San Antonio International Airport ramp.

The first jetliner I ever saw was a Braniff 707-227, arriving from Dallas at Houston’s Hobby Airport, circa 1960. I remember it as big, but also LOUD! even from the observation deck. It definitely made an impression on this (then) 13-year-old.

I’m reasonably certain there will be aftermarket engine cowlings for a -220 available at some point to convert this kit. In fact, they may already be in the works.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Educate me please. In 1/144 scale would the difference in cowling size be obvious?

Well, it all depends how nuts you want to be, but the JT4 does have a deeper, elongated shape that differs a bit from the JT3C's bulging belly and sharp taper, so yes, you could tell the difference if you know what to look for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric B. said:

Hello all, 

Great information and I'll be happy to get one.

By the way I wish they will later consider doing the B707-320 later.

Eric B.

"В планах: вся линейка больших арбузов, и вся линейка 707"

"In the plans: whole line of large Airbuses, and the whole line of 707"

http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/novosti/1078-novinki-vostochnyj-ekspress?start=918#43270

• Like 1

The JT-4s were a scaled up version of the JT-3. They are decidedly beeffier in appearance. Oddly enough, RODEN's interpretation of the JT-3s for their 720 kit were too big, but might be...possibly... useable in some way for a JT-4. Early 707-300 series will also benefit from JT-4 engines, so i'm quite sure the engineers at Eastern Express have gamed this out.

1 hour ago, David H said:

The JT-4s were a scaled up version of the JT-3. They are decidedly beeffier in appearance. Oddly enough, RODEN's interpretation of the JT-3s for their 720 kit were too big, but might be...possibly... useable in some way for a JT-4. Early 707-300 series will also benefit from JT-4 engines, so i'm quite sure the engineers at Eastern Express have gamed this out.

Early 707-300s had JT3Ds. I checked a couple of internet sources to verify that. So far as I know, only Braniff ever used the JT-4 on their 707-220s.

18 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

One of the Minicraft 707 kits contained JT-4 engines, but I can neither put my hands on my copy at the moment nor recall exactly which one it is.

The TWA kit #14454: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/minicraft-model-kits-14454-boeing-707-300--167279

Edited by Scott Garard

19 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Early 707-300s had JT3Ds. I checked a couple of internet sources to verify that. So far as I know, only Braniff ever used the JT-4 on their 707-220s.

It's more complicated than that.

While it true that the Braniff 707-227s used JT-4s, as far as i know they were the only short-fuselage 707 operators to do so. This was due to the South American Route structure Braniff had at the time and at those field elevations, a 707-120 couldn't taxi over a wet cigar butt.

The early Intercontinentals (the 300 and 400 series) started off with P&W JT-4s or Rolls Royce Conways on the -400s.  When the JT3D became available, everybody switched over to it. However the original JT-4 was decidedly a turbojet.

-d-

Edited by David H
re written to sound less argumentative
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 7:51 AM, Mike Esposito said:

I just bought their new Viscount kit. Looks great! Maybe slightly overstated panel lines. 

Would really wish EE would include control yokes in their newer kits. Cockpit detail is superb, but lacking without control yokes. 

Have you looked at the Convair 880 or 990 kits? Panel lines are beautiful.