Eastern Express CV990 1:144 (sprues)

RCI

funny, they now come up with something they did not even announce....really surprises me since they usually announce kits with nice box arts that take years until you see sprues...

f505ccc91aeeb6b4f89553e7fb359e1e.jpg

36fe2b7531d2cb8fec75477a5fe7ce45.jpg

f3ddeca88e1c7aa09bd21eb10c290fc4.jpg

7f7f1fe69c8bf2eb7ae30f93684bc800.jpg

d19417887c28a1be0cda13487ff9831f.jpg

• Like 10

also i just spotted they published the first pictures of the A310-300 sprues. it includes the main gear bulges plus spare ones in case you have a -200 kit.

Crazy.

OMG!

WTF?

BBQ!

1) I am shocked by this development. Judging from the wing root and trailing edge, methinks this is the -990A configuration.

2) I have their Convair 880 and its a gem of a kit. Lets just say i am just chuffed to bits.

-d-

I just saw the first Box Art for this kit. Looks like it will be in American Airlines markings.....provided AA doesn't file an injunction or something.

Also begs the question.... Will Atlantis re release the Revell -990 in Swissair markings, or something different? Hmmmmm......

I know this is 'off-sides' and I apologies for a little hi-jacking, though this does concern an Eastern Express kit. I came across a listing for the Eastern Express 1/72 Marauder, and was wondering if anyone knows how it 'stacks up' against the Airfix and Hasagawa models of the same scale? Worse than the Airfix? Just short of the Hasegawa? A lump pf plastic..?

23 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Worse than the Airfix? Just short of the Hasegawa? A lump pf plastic..?

Maybe it is the ooooold Frog, in which case lump of plastic is not quite telling the whole story.

• Haha 2

- ref. EE144145 - Convair CV990 - American Airlines

Sources: 

https://ee-models.ru/en/ee144145-airliner-convair-cv990/

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EE144145

Box art

EE144145.jpg

Sprues pics source: https://ee-models.ru/poluchili-kontrolnye-otlivki-na-convair-cv990/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Great news, one of my favourite jetliners, lets hope we don't have to wait too long.

EE144145.jpg

Shouldn't that be N5604.

1) I am shocked by this development. Judging from the wing root and trailing edge, methinks this is the -990A configuration.

-D-, If it is supposed to be N5604 then it was delivered as a CV-990A to AA with the mods.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Homebee said:

- ref. EE144145 - Convair CV990 - American Airlines

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EE144145

Box art

EE144145.jpg

V.P.

I have visited the one on display in Switzerland - it is a true narrow-body and as it was powered by four of the same thirsty engines as the F-104 Starfighter must have been a nightmare make a profit on.

Definitely going to be one in SAS markings for me and possibly one for SPANTAX which operated charter flights from Norway to Spain.

With only 37 Convair 990 Coronados made, they saw service with quite a few airlines; 

Aerolíneas Argentinas
Aerolíneas Peruanas 
Air France (one aircraft leased in 1967)
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
AREA (Ecuador)
Cathay Pacific
Ciskei International Airways
Denver Ports of Call
Iran Air
Garuda Indonesian Airways
Internord Aviation
LANICA (Nicaragua)
Lebanese International Airways
Middle East Airlines
Modern Air Transport
NASA
Nomads Travel Club
Nordair
Northeast
SAS
Spantax
Swissair
Thai Airways International
Varig

• Like 3

In general, I don't build 1:144 airliners, but a CV-990 in Spantax markings would really tempt me. Spantax was a fascinating airline. I think, they crashed a relatively high percentage of the total CV-990s produced.

1 hour ago, Doc72 said:

In general, I don't build 1:144 airliners, but a CV-990 in Spantax markings would really tempt me. Spantax was a fascinating airline. I think, they crashed a relatively high percentage of the total CV-990s produced.

They are still remembered here in Norway for an attempted landing in the Oslofjord instead of at the airport some distance away. 

The captain who was flying the aircraft was unable to communicate with ATC due the language barrier, fortunately another crew member understood the "climb, climb, climb for Gods sake" calls from Oslo tower.

Picture by Eduard Marmet - Spantax CV-990 at Basle - June 1976. CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2922555

Spantax_CV-990_at_Basle_-_June_1976.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Slick - the engine pods look very much like those of its more famous Convair sibling, the B-58 Hustler!

John

Indeed. It is basically the same engine. The CV-990 used a civil version of the J-79 without the afterburner.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, LN-KEH said:

I have visited the one on display in Switzerland - it is a true narrow-body and as it was powered by four of the same thirsty engines as the F-104 Starfighter must have been a nightmare make a profit on.

Definitely going to be one in SAS markings for me and possibly one for SPANTAX which operated charter flights from Norway to Spain.

With only 37 Convair 990 Coronados made, they saw service with quite a few airlines; 

Aerolíneas Argentinas
Aerolíneas Peruanas 
Air France (one aircraft leased in 1967)
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
AREA (Ecuador)
Cathay Pacific
Ciskei International Airways
Denver Ports of Call
Iran Air
Garuda Indonesian Airways
Internord Aviation
LANICA (Nicaragua)
Lebanese International Airways
Middle East Airlines
Modern Air Transport
NASA
Nomads Travel Club
Nordair
Northeast
SAS
Spantax
Swissair
Thai Airways International
Varig

How about APSA :). She (OB-R-931) used to come in to Gatwick in the late 1960s

On 3/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, RidgeRunner said:

In the list as Aerolíneas Peruanas - one of their aircraft even got hijacked and flown to Cuba!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, general melchett said:

Great news, one of my favourite jetliners, lets hope we don't have to wait too long.

EE144145.jpg

Shouldn't that be N5604.

-D-, If it is supposed to be N5604 then it was delivered as a CV-990A to AA with the mods.

I know the -990A had a more sculpted and nuanced wing/body fairing, which is the first thing i noticed on the sprues. That was my first clue. I saw the pictures of the test shots, long before the box artwork.

Taking another look at the sprues, i noticed the distinctive "crank" in the outboard engine pylons. I think that's indicative of the -A (the expended nacelles and lee press-on nails definitely are). I know the old Revell kit definitely represents the prototype configuration.

-d-

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:26 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Greetings!

That was not an APSA CV-990A, but the DC-8-52 they leased from Iberia for European routes. The three 990A aircraft were only used on the routes in Latin America, Los Angeles and Miami.

Best regards,

Jeff Jarvis

On 3/24/2021 at 8:50 PM, John Thompson said:

Slick - the engine pods look very much like those of its more famous Convair sibling, the B-58 Hustler!

John

Greetings!

Not to me they don't! The J-79 on the B-58 had a real long and very slim engine pod with afterburner, and the CJ-805-23 of the 990 had a similar core, but a much larger diameter pod because of the fan section at the back end.

Perhaps you meant the 880?

Best regards,

Jeff Jarvis

Edited by Jeffrey Jarvis
remove the CV

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Jarvis said:

Greetings!

That was not an APSA CV-990A, but the DC-8-52 they leased from Iberia for European routes. The three 990A aircraft were only used on the routes in Latin America, Los Angeles and Miami.

Best regards,

Jeff Jarvis

Oh yes, you are right! :(

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...