USAAF, USN WW2 nightfighters

72modeler

The SB2C and the Ventura had sea search radar and weren't nightfighter, as far as I know. The same with the Avengers and the Mitchells.

Some Venturas were converted to nightfighters, as there was nothing else available at that time.

Chris

True, but the website lumped them all together; while those aircraft fought at night, they were not true night fighters, as you so correctly pointed out. I thought about how to title the post, but went with what was stated on the website. Avengers were used at night to vector accompanying Hellcats onto aerial targets; it was one these Avengers from the Enterprise that shot down and killed famed ace Butch O'Hare in a tragic friendly fire incident.

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Some Venturas were converted to nightfighters, as there was nothing else available at that time.

Indeed

Once I find a Pavla kit I will do VMF(N)'s next aircraft - they went from the Ventura to the Tigercat. That must have been a relief for them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

True, but the website lumped them all together; while those aircraft fought at night, they were not true night fighters, as you so correctly pointed out. I thought about how to title the post, but went with what was stated on the website. Avengers were used at night to vector accompanying Hellcats onto aerial targets; it was one these Avengers from the Enterprise that shot down and killed famed ace Butch O'Hare in a tragic friendly fire incident.

Mike

Oh yeah! I forgot about that!

Chris