AT6-G Texan Kits

fishplanebeer

One of the kits I'm looking forward to this year is the Special Hobby 'Harvard' in 72nd scale which apparently is based upon the previous AT6-G from Academy but with extra resin parts and new canopy to enable the British version(s) to be built.

However I'm just wondering if the Academy kit is the same as the one also retailed by Revell in this scale as this is also the AT6-G version, so did Revell acquire the molds at some point possibly? Reason for asking is I'm also looking to build this version as well and both are available on E-Bay with the Revell one some what cheaper, but given my recent issues with the Revell F4U-1A Corsair I'm totally disinclined to go the Revell route unless some else was responsible for the molds and they just borrowed or used them and then put the kit under the Revell brand.

Regards

Colin.

According to scalemates.com the Revell and Airfix kits are derived  from the Heller tooling, while the Academy kit is their own tooling and not related

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hsr said:

According to scalemates.com the Revell and Airfix kits are derived  from the Heller tooling, while the Academy kit is their own tooling and not related

Academy had some kit tooled with Heller kits" reference", such as P-39Q/N, Fi156, so I wonder whether they copied T-6G

I notice that in Hannants' description of the forthcoming SH Harvard they say that the main sprues are ex-Academy so presumably SH or Eduard obtained them at some point, unless they are working in collaboration with Academy now as well?

Regards

Colin.

I got an update from Special Hobby earlier today that mentioned upcoming releases, and they stated that their 1/72 T-6 kit was going to be the Academy kit sprues with additional parts to do an RAF Harvard, so I guess whatever the RAF/RCAF called the T-6G would be what the kit parts will let you build. See the link below for more information- looks like some very interesting re;eases are in the works!

Mike

https://www.specialhobby.info/2021/03/news-from-special-hobby-032021.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fernandocouto said:

Academy had some kit tooled with Heller kits" reference", such as P-39Q/N, Fi156, so I wonder whether they copied T-6G

As far as I can tell, the answer is NO!  It is an entirely different kit. 

Later,

Dave

• Like 3

Having both the Heller and Academy T-6G kits, the Academy is not an exact copy but bears a remarkable similarity.  As said about many of Academy's WW2 subjects and earlier toolings.

The basic difference between a T-6G and a Harvard Mk.IV is the number of frames in the canopy.  (EDIT: This includes the longer fixed rear section.)  Obviously aerials etc vary, as they do across the lives of either.

Postwar the A prefix (for advanced) was dropped so it is just T-6G, as it was used from a earlier stage in the training.  I must admit to tending to refer to earlier variants such as T-6Ds etc when this should strictly only apply postwar (if then).

I cannot help thinking that this SH kit is going to be a post WW2 version again.  What is really needed is a AT-6 with alternative rear decking and canopies to allow the USAAC and  USAAF versions as trainers and with marking changes to built USN SNJ-3/5s.  I suppose it would be too much to ask for the fabric fuselage variants to build a Harvard I and SNJ-2 & 3. 

• Like 2

The Harvard Mk.I requires a new (earlier) wing: the SNJ-2 and 3 are "T-6"s with metal fuselages but the -2 has an enlarged centre-section to fit a fuel pump (apparently but I've not seen how or distinguished anything) and also the deepened earlier rudder.  The alternative decking and canopies, if I'm thinking of the same things as you, is only for Canadian production but there is a US version with a clear (unframed) rear section.  Also one with a wooden rear fuselage - there's no such thing as a simple aircraft but the NA-16 family takes this to extremes!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Many thanks, in which case to avoid another Revell experience

Slightly off-topic, but it never ceases to amaze me that Revell can mold an outstanding kit like the Fw-200, Bv-222, and He-177, which have no surviving examples to scan/measure/photograph, and then turn out such poor kits such as their F4U-1, F4U-4, and Spitfire Vb, for which there are numerous surviving examples! So many more color schemes and markings for the T-6's used in WW2, yet the T-6G continues to be re-kitted? (OK, I'll give you the SAAF Harvards are pretty neat-looking.)

Mike

Probably too  much to hope for that SH/CMK will throw in an extra sprue with the sighting rockets and small, flat-bottomed drop tank that the Korean War T-6G 'Mosquito' used  when tasked as a spotter aircraft- a very neat modeling project!

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/North_American_T-6_Texan

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/58546863882874470/visual-search/?x=16&y=12&w=530&h=399&cropSource=6

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196107/north-american-t-6d-mosquito/

This link should be useful!

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/North_American_T-6_Texan_variants

Edited by 72modeler
added links
  • Like 2

If as now seems likely the 'new' SH Harvard will in fact be a post war variant then my interest has diminished considerably as it was an RAF WW2 version I was hoping to make, so I may have to resort to the old Airfix kit again.

Regards

Colin.

That depends just exactly what they are offering.  They are doing a proper injection moulded "long" canopy, so if they change the tailwheel and perhaps add an exhaust you can do the Canadian builds  (Mk.IIB), but many RAF Harvards are just Texans anyway - as is the Airfix kit.  Despite its long exhaust is has the short "Texan" canopy not the longer Canadian style.  There is very little difference between what you get in the Academy or Heller kits and a wartime subject, basically just a few frames on the canopy (can be painted on), different aerials and tailwheel, and an optional spinner.  Either gives you a better wartime RAF subject than the old and tired Airfix kit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It remains to be seen exactly what the SH kit will contain, I'm not sure what I'm seeing with those canopy mold shots in the SH blog @72modeler linked to above. Other than the Kiwi Resins, now defunct, that @alt-92 (God but she is gourgeous), ;)  :D , built & the single longer canopy with rear deck that Falcon has in their set #30, there has been little in the way of options to do these earlier machines. I'm hoping that be SH reboxing of the Academy kit may contain this but afaics, this is still not certain.

Steve.

• Like 1

It's reasonable to be suspicious of Academy, especially their early kits. They got their start by largely copying other companies' work, especially Tamiya armor and ships. So much so, that it is difficult for them to sell in Japan today, as there is some ill will over it still.To soothe things over, I've seen Academy kits in Doyusha boxes for sale in Japan, for example. 

• Like 1

If as is clearly suggested the SH kit is effectively an upgraded version of the Academy kit using the same sprues then, having viewed the Academy sprues themselves, it is likely to be far away from the standard of the latest SH offerings so not sure why SH have gone this route. For example the Academy kit has the engine and cowling molded as one piece which looks very dated and not what I/we would now expect.

I'll wait and see what the SH sprue shots look like in due course as they may include some tweaks to the Academy molds but I'm not optimistic at this point and have a feeling this kit will fall far short of the standard it would have been if SH had started from scratch.

Regards

Colin. 

However, the Academy kit is the right shape and fits well, neither of which have been strong points with SH on their own tooling.  Given their repeated failures to get the fuselage right on their repeated attempts at another "T-6" variant, the Wirraway, I would have approached an SH Harvard with some trepidation.

The Heller kit provides a separate engine and cowling, and is otherwise much akin to the Academy.  It has been widely available in a number of different boxings from the likes of Revell and Encore.  If you think the Academy approach to the engine outdated, go back to the mother lode.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

For example the Academy kit has the engine and cowling molded as one piece which looks very dated and not what I/we would now expect.

Like the stalwart Heller, if it's the better shaped one - no big deal really. I'd argue that the more recent, sharper moulding is a plus compared to the somewhat dated Heller.

9 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

For example the Academy kit has the engine and cowling molded as one piece which looks very dated and not what I/we would now expect.

Not sure what you've been looking at, but it didn't sound like the Academy kit I've got as that engine is very definitely separate to the cowling! This link here shows what my Academy kit plastic is.

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's quite interesting as I was looking at an Academy AT6 for sale on E-Bay where the seller is showing the sprues and on his/hers the engine and cowling are definitely as one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Academy-1662-Testor-663-TEXAN-kits-1-72-NO-DECALS-2-kits/164679599983?hash=item2657ab476f:g:~DgAAOSw9RRgF9Ko

This has the Academy boxing but is also has 'Testors' instructions (?) so perhaps the seller has cross matched and combined two different kits?

Just found another also for sale on E-Bay and it shows the engine and cowling as separate pieces so I stand corrected on this and as a result my interest in the forthcoming SH 'Harvard is now renewed.

Apologies for my earlier erroneous comments on the Academy kit.

Regards

Colin.

The Testors kit is very old, ex-Hawk, coming with one-piece wings and engraved lines for the markings.  But it looked like a T-6...  which appears to be sufficient for many.  It came as either a T-6 or an SNJ, different boxings.

The heading does say "2 kits".

Some time today I'll look at the Hobby Boss kit, which is basically a simplified interior on an "Academy" tooling.  Maybe it doesn't have a separate engine?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

That's quite interesting as I was looking at an Academy AT6 for sale on E-Bay where the seller is showing the sprues and on his/hers the engine and cowling are definitely as one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Academy-1662-Testor-663-TEXAN-kits-1-72-NO-DECALS-2-kits/164679599983?hash=item2657ab476f:g:~DgAAOSw9RRgF9Ko

This has the Academy boxing but is also has 'Testors' instructions (?) so perhaps the seller has cross matched and combined two different kits?

Just found another also for sale on E-Bay and it shows the engine and cowling as separate pieces so I stand corrected on this and as a result my interest in the forthcoming SH 'Harvard is now renewed.

Apologies for my earlier erroneous comments on the Academy kit.

Regards

Colin.

Description states '2 KITS IN ONE BOX' :)

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I also missed that in my haste to consider buying it,  definitely a case of more haste less speed me thinks. 🤐

Just seen the box art of the SH kit on Scalemates and it looks to cover exactly what I'm after so my back-order with Hannants is now fully restored.

Regards

Colin.