Eastern Express Airbus A340-600

26Decals

• 1 month later...

Any clues on a release date? I've got a Bra-Z conversion waiting to be built but it's such a poor fit to the revell kit I might just end up scrapping it...unless this kit proves to be even worse 😅

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, misterblank said:

Huh?  I thought they were doing a A340-600???

-600 is the best looking variant! Hope they're not abandoning it for a -200. Don't know how possible it would be to do multiple variants from one base kit.

Thats very interesting.

I am eagerly awaiting the -600 and the anouncement of a -200 is tempting as well.

There is quite a difference from the -200 to the -600, so I guess this will be an all new tooling

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Wasn't the -200 available from Revell?

I think I remember the sought after Austrian Airlines Philharmonic special paint scheme...

Or was this a -300? Hmmmm

Revell only offered the A340-300 and the A330-300.

The -200s of both types were never released by Revell.

The initial release of the A340 kit by Revell came with Lufthansa markings,although the registration number on the decal sheet was actually Lufthansa's first A340-200.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, now they've got my attention. I'd love to do a Cathay one as brought my son & me home in 2014. I've long had the Revell one on my ebay watchlist but the rare ones go for potty money. Then again, being Eastern Express likely this will too. :(

On 12/1/2021 at 1:18 PM, Adam Poultney said:

-600 is the best looking variant! Hope they're not abandoning it for a -200. Don't know how possible it would be to do multiple variants from one base kit.

The A340-200 and -300 used the same wing as the A330, however the wing for the A340-500 and -600 is substantially different with an insert ahead of the front spar to increase the chord and, I think, some additional span.  The engines on the -500 and -600 were also bigger and beefier and, as you’ll notice from the 3d renders the centre main bogie is a 4-wheel unit as opposed to the 2-wheel unit on the earlier versions.  It’s not quite a “jack up anti-collision beacon, insert new jet” conversion but there’s quite a lot of work involved (ask anyone with the Braz conversion kit).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can I assume that because of the actions of a certain madman, that this model isn't going to be hitting UK shores now? I'm desperately trying to find a decent A340-600 as my girlfriend used to be crew on G-VGAS and I'd love to surprise her with a build for her.

1 hour ago, Hix said:

Can I assume that because of the actions of a certain madman, that this model isn't going to be hitting UK shores now? I'm desperately trying to find a decent A340-600 as my girlfriend used to be crew on G-VGAS and I'd love to surprise her with a build for her.

You can still get EE kits from eBay sellers in China —- if you really want to. If molds were underway (in Ukraine where EE molds were made) it may yet appear.

6 hours ago, Hix said:

How hard would it be to stretch the Revell A340-300?

10 hours ago, Hix said:

I think it'll be a long time before the EE A340s will appear, if ever, now - even if the data is in the mouldmakers possession. I hope it does happen, a new injection moulded A330/A340 family is overdue. Revell are re-issuing the A330-300 later this year but it's showing it's age now; the Thai A330 release a few years ago suffered some major flash and warping and it's only really representative of an early aircraft. The CFM56s in the A340 are also poor and really need replacing or major rework of the pylons.

However, if you are a relatively experienced modeller and are happy to tackle large resin parts, the Bra.Z A340-600 conversion is still available. In fact at the time of writing Hannants have a few without decals on Special Offer (https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BZ4130?result-token=R2VFl) at a decent discount. The Bra.Z conversion only uses the nose, sections of the Revell kit's fuselage and some detail parts so you don't need to track down an A340 kit as you can use the A330-300 as a donor. Given the general reputation of the EE MD11, DC10 and Tristar to put up a fight during the build an EE A340-600 might require as much work as the conversion 😀

Here's an old but good thread on the conversion to see what's involved:

Drawdecal still sell the Virgin A340-600 markings; sadly they didn't include G-VGAS: https://www.drawdecal.com/product/virgin-atlantic-a340-600s/

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 2

As I understand EE simply went out of business. It is (was?) a Russian firm but sprues have been manufactured in Ukraine by I believe Modelsvit/Amodel. At least sprues are very similar to Modelsvit/Amodel production. 

Anyway I do not think there were any new releases after 2021. So unfortunately...

We still may expect that some EE kits will appear on the market eventually after Ukrainian molds owners are able to legally reuse the molds to reissue older kits or issue those which were planned for releases in 2022/23. So let's see. Now the best advise is to grab what you want and what is still available faster...

• Like 1