Airfix 1/72 A-4B Skyhawk

Smudge

I've had this kit hovering around the edge of the workbench for a little while, so this GB is a good reason to make a start. I've always been a fan of the 'Scooter' but this will be my first go at making a model of one. I'm looking at U.S. Navy and something colourful from the Xtradecals sheets.

My car boot bargain :)

2021-03-22_07-44-26

Looking forward to starting this.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

.........................will you be letting us in on which one you will be building?

Thank you.

To be honest, with so many choices on those two sheets, I can't make my mind up. I ended up buying both sheets for the same reason  :D

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Thank you.

To be honest, with so many choices on those two sheets, I can't make my mind up. I ended up buying both sheets for the same reason  :D

20 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Been there done that! A few times actually as I would rather get decal sheets while they are available.

Oh so thats how you're supposed to do it ? No wonder I keep having to scrounge for stuff years after its been out. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 2

Errrrr..............I may be guilty of having gotten a bit carried away. In my defense, I think I have a plan to do 'several' of these Airfix Skyhawks and have a little line up in the display case.

20210327_191650

So, I have made a start with sticking a few parts together.

20210327_191504

I removed the raised detail, and filled the access bay panel lines on the starboard nose, as pointed in another thread (sorry can't find it. I'll credit/edit later). Need to work out what other vents etc to add or delete.

2021-03-27_07-46-10

Here's a nice one......

20210327_191922

If I can find a suitable nose, this could be interesting....

20210327_192403

Next job, probably do some painting of smaller parts and the cockpit and intakes etc.

Cheers :)

• Like 5

Good to see this one underway Smudge.

Looks like you might be spoiled for choice as far as markings go, not sure you can ever have too many though.😉

I like  both of the options you have shown, though you will either need to sacrifice an F-11 Tiger or do some scratch building for the one from VSF-1, but it would be very cool.

Nice progress with this one smudge. The Xtradecals are very nice, I’ve got the first sheet and built one a couple of years ago. I plan to do another for this GB if I can get my current one moving on and I can find the decal sheet. I looked for it the other day and it’s disappeared from my decal box. 🤔

Cheers Allan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good to see this one underway Smudge.

Looks like you might be spoiled for choice as far as markings go, not sure you can ever have too many though.😉

I like  both of the options you have shown, though you will either need to sacrifice an F-11 Tiger or do some scratch building for the one from VSF-1, but it would be very cool.

I don’t think that extended nose is from an F11F; the range-only radar from an F11F was reportedly used, but not any F11F structure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I don’t think that extended nose is from an F11F; the range-only radar from an F11F was reportedly used, but not any F11F structure.

You are quite right of course, the nose on the A-4 in question bears no resemblance the nose of an F-11F and must be something that was built specifically.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I don’t think that extended nose is from an F11

56 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You are quite right of course, the nose on the A-4 in question bears no resemblance the nose of an F-11F and must be something that was built specifically.

I was thinking that myself. I had a bit of a Google and found this. Quite an interesting story. 

http://tapatalk.com/groups/warships1discussionboards/lightweight-radar-for-the-a-4-skyhawk-c-1965-t24168-s20.html

http://combatace.com/forums/topic/85176-rudolph-the-red-nosed-skyhawk-an-a-4b-with-an-air-to-air-radar-in-1966/

Cheers Guys.

• Like 1

I can't seem to find the link which somebody kindly provided to the 'Tailhook Topics' which identified the various little mods and additions one could make to improve the Airfix A-4B.

I have resorted to searching it out for myself, and will just pop a link in here for my own reference. Thanks and apologies to the original GB'er.

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/07/new-airfix-172-4b4p-modeling-notes.html 

and this one about the underside fuel vents and lights etc.

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-dirty-underside-of-a4d.html

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

Most of these schemes are winners!

Try throwing a dart?

JR

• Haha 2

On 3/27/2021 at 9:49 PM, Smudge said:

I removed the raised detail, and filled the access bay panel lines on the starboard nose, as pointed in another thread (sorry can't find it. I'll credit/edit later). Need to work out what other vents etc to add or delete.

2021-03-27_07-46-10

Great work on making some amendments to the fuselage - I've done the same in my build following the very good advice of @jean

Nice work so far Smudge - will be following your build with interest :thumbsup:

Kris