Rareplane NA AJ2 Savage Vac Form.

TonyW

1 hour ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Tony: No pressure, but I've put a link to your build in my latest AJ Savage post: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2021/03/north-american-aj-savage-model-kits.html

No pressure! 

The spotlight is now on me. Despite a hint of blind panic at this end, I'll be giving it my best shot. The shove in the right direction is much appreciated.

I'm getting a real liking for the plane. I'm more used to UK efforts of the period. Having my horizons broadened can only be a good thing.

I've just taken a closer look at the links you have provided Tommy. All very interesting and informative indeed. I hope my build will come up to scratch.

The undersize shape issues I can't do much about, I'll try to make the finished model at least look Savage shaped though.

There are two canopies provided in the Rareplanes offering.  I assumed they were to cover any FUBAR incidents. It might be that Gordon provided two options though.

I'll check in the morning and report back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

I've just taken a closer look at the links you have provided Tommy. All very interesting and informative indeed. I hope my build will come up to scratch.

The undersize shape issues I can't do much about, I'll try to make the finished model at least look Savage shaped though.

There are two canopies provided in the Rareplanes offering.  I assumed they were to cover any FUBAR incidents. It might be that Gordon provided two options though.

I'll check in the morning and report back.

The two canopies in my kit are identical. The good news is that they have not darkened like the Rareplanes F3H canopy. However, that may be because they have rarely seen the light of day and then only for a few days.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:09 PM, Mjwomack said:

I rather like this, it looks like it has every intention of living up to it's name and being Savage! 

I can't see a name like the North American Savage getting picked these days.

Everything sounded a bit more dramatic back then. Thunderbirds, Rocket 88's, even the cars had exiting names. Nissan Qashqai anyone?

• Haha 3

Postie brought me a nice envelope today, inside were a dozen North American promo mini leaflets. Two of them fit in my build thread...

20210401-181721.jpg

20210401-181657.jpg

Simple gatefold flyers giving a bit of detail and a few B+W pictures of the AJ 2P and AJ 1

I really like the fifties graphics and the way mint green and black are used.

I think I should be able to use Photoshop to morph the flyers into some kind of display base for the finished model, once it's done.

They have also got me thinking that maybe I should consider the early scheme, rather than my intended Gull Grey and White first thought. The jury is out on that one.

The other ten flyers cover the B25 through to the RB 45 Tornado. There's the makings of a nice NA model display in that lot.

20210401-181544.jpg

20210401-181623.jpg

• Like 6

Work commences on the cockpit/crew area on the Savage.

20210402-120946.jpg

The crew access door is first off the blocks with the fuselage cut out getting a couple of slices of plastic card getting shaped into the opening. A door was also cut out and got a layer of card added to give it depth. The opening handle dip and the hinge area have also been started. 

Not the best picture in the world, the recessed area around the door opening shows solid here, whereas it does follow the photo of the real thing, honest. The door is also a bit out of focus. I'll add better shots later.

20210402-120956.jpg

I'm in for a coffee break for a while but another hour or two in the shed will surely follow.

• Like 4

Not much to report, but it's a step in the right direction.

The crew access door got a bit of paint detailing. Medium grey overall with a dark grey wash followed by light grey dry brushing. It still needs hinges making and the Beware Prop lettering needs suggesting on the higher of the two red patches.

20210404-113636.jpg

20210404-153943.jpg

Somewhat worryingly, this detail might be nearly invisible as the door is tucked between the fuselage and engine. 

20210404-105009.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The Savage got side-lined for a bit, but it's back on the bench again.

I've had a go at making a full cockpit and access area inside the fuselage. A few hours of adding a multitude of beams, struts, floors and other bits and bobs should have had me more than happy. Somehow it's not coming together as I thought.

20210406-161909.jpg

I've enjoyed doing the work, but once I hit it with a bit of dark grey as a base coat, I began to have doubts. Taping the fuselage together and fitting the canopy revealed just how much would ever be seen. The answer is: Not a lot. The bomb bay door is just about invisible and even without the wings in place very little can be seen through the access door. Even with lightening up the colours somewhat, things are never going to be centre stage in there. I'm calling it quits with the downstairs area. The cockpit itself can get a bit more added, but I'll be doing that with the fuselage buttoned up. At least then I can try the canopy after each addition to see how things look.

To get the project back on track, I've fixed the wing assembly in place. It took a bit of cutting, slicing and sanding, but it's fitted and now drying.

20210412-165858.jpg

Filler will be required once things have hardened properly. A lot of filler.

Check out the underside wing root gap! Both sides are the same.

20210412-165928.jpg

Everything lines up just fine overall, it's just that every mating surface is very indistinct. I can see a few hours adding tiny bits of plastic all over the airframe gaps being in my future. That's OK, every pleasure demands a pain. There should be another report tomorrow.

Tony.

• Like 5

My Milliput supplies took a bit of a kicking today, but the plane is now a whole lot less draughty. It's been sat out in the sun all afternoon while the putty dries. Tomorrow it's the turn of my W+D supplies to see action.

Here's an indication of the size of the thing, that F4 is no midget!  The Savage is double the F4's wingspan.

Landing that lump on deck with an Atom Bomb on board must have been heart stopping.

20210413-122336.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I’m not seeing any photos from you Tony. They were there yesterday, but seem to have disappeared today. :( 

I seem to be having trouble with Postimage at the moment. I'll try again in a while.

This is doing really well.

I am glad I am not the only one who puts a lot of detail in, then wonders if it was really needed. I think sometimes that is half the fun, and doing it because you can. From this side of the screen it looks great, and I was especially impressed with your crew door detailing!

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

A whole load of rubbing down followed by a few coats of primer filler see's the Savage taking on a new look. 

20210414-190541.jpg

The process will need repeating a few more times, but it's starting to come together now.

More tomorrow hopefully.

• Like 4

Despite the arrival of an Academy Boeing Stratocruiser build in the shed, work on the Savage continues.

The Boeing is too big for my regular workbench which means the Savage gets to occupy that space. I can switch from one to the other in a very satisfying way.

Today see's the tail getting work. There's been some major filling and rubbing down going on with the airframe and the tail surfaces would have got in the way a bit. I'm nearly there now with the filling and so on, so it's time to fit the tail parts. Not the greatest fit in the world, it has to be said, but a bit of file and W+D paper work got things OK. Tube cement, superglue and pins drilled through the fin will get the parts joined as strongly as I can get them. One side is done, one to go. Yet more filler will be needed at the roots but that seems par for the course on this build. Things should be fitted and primed this afternoon.

20210417-122132.jpg

• Like 7

Time for a catch up on the Savage.

Fill, sand, prime. There has been a lot of that going on here with the Savage needing quite a bit of help. It finally got shot in white primer and spent a day in the sun outside my shed. Sitting on the hood of a black car made sure it stayed warm all day. The Stratocruiser kept it company.

20210421-125955.jpg

Then I did a major backflip. The grey/white scheme is out, dark blue is in.

A couple of reasons for the change of mind. First and foremost is that the base I have in mind for this one involves using the graphics and colours from the North American folder in an earlier post. I really like the period feel of the thing, but don't think the brighter scheme would suit against it.

The blue also dates the plane far more than a scheme that ran into the sixties. The wing tanks and a blue finish are so forties/early fifties, and the plane is so much of that time rather than the sixties.

Add to that, the blue just looks so menacing, as befits a plane that carried an Atom Bomb about. Blue it is.

An undercoat went on yesterday evening and should be dry enough for another today. Sorry about the poor picture, the phone camera struggles shooting into light. Shooting from the other direction, the plane looked awful with its thin first coat of paint on it.

The starboard wing tank is still in primer as that was the only place to hold the plane while painting. There was no clear break on the airframe to call a halt once painting started!

20210422-172522.jpg

Adding paint has brought the plane to life somehow and I'm looking forward to the next bit of the build. 

More later.

• Like 5

First coat of blue flatted back, second coat applied and now drying. The bright sunlight makes the blue look lighter than it is.

One more coat should see it a nice solid colour.

20210423-161223.jpg

Not a lot to report, but moving in the right direction.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

The long neglected Savage is back at centre stage today.

A bit of a catch up is in order. There has been progress since the last post, both forwards and backwards. I kind of lost heart with the build once I realised the extra detailing I have added is just about lost to view once the canopy is added. Views through the side door are non existant.

20210527-114233.jpg

20210527-114344.jpg

I carried on though, adding a blue topcoat to the airframe, as above. The gloss showed up all kinds of tiny and not so tiny flaws all over the place. A good filling session, followed by no end of rubbing down and a recoat saw an improvement but it's never going to be a prizewinner. The second gloss attempt revealed some now soft detailing, that was at odds with building a replica model. The exhaust area, cowl vents and all the lumps and bumps provided by Rareplanes just didn't look right to me.

20210610-165505.jpg

Yet another try then! More rubbing down, and an attempt to redefine some of the detailing see's things as far away, to my eyes, as ever. I have to admit to a bit of despondency here. I like the plane, it's big bruiser from a very interesting period. It is putting up a bit of a fight though.

20210613-115046.jpg

At this point in a difficult build I would usually box the thing up and it wouldn't see the light of day again for ages, if at all. Fortunately, the GB imposes a bit of much needed discipline here and I'll just have to get on and make the best of things. Sometimes you need a bit of a shove.

The best of things in this case is a plan that has worked for me in the past. Abandon cutting edge detailing, build a period piece instead. I'll now be finishing the Savage as a Northrop promotional type of model. the sort of thing that would be used by a Northrop salesman or at a show or even given to employees. The various scoops, lumps and bumps and flaps and so on have been now been filled over. Likewise the wing surface detailing.

20210622-173840.jpg

The whole airframe is now wearing a heavy coat of primer filler and is currently drying off awaiting a smoothing and polishing session. There's a new can of Tamiya dark blue spray paint waiting in the wings that will hopefully come into use later today. 

20210626-112900.jpg

More as it happens...

Tony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

I like the plane, it's big bruiser from a very interesting period. It is putting up a bit of a fight though.

Savage in both name and nature; even so I think you're wrestling into submission. You can't beat a new Plan A!

• Haha 1

The Savage got a savage sanding down session this morning, 400, 800 then 1000 grit papers. Then a couple of coats of Tamiya Dark Blue to see how things look...

20210627-095239.jpg

Not too bad. A couple of tiny flaws that I really should deal with. I'll let things harden a while before doing anything there.

I tried one of the kit decals, from the grey and white version on the sheet. Oh dear.

20210627-101739.jpg

I have some spray clear on order. Once that gets here I'll be adding a coat or two to the sheet and hoping for the best.

• Like 2

Major progress, as opposed to Corporal Punishment, today. The Tamiya blue got a bit of a polish and the decals were clear coated, also with Tamiya clear.

The props had the tips sprayed yellow followed by masking and satin black for the blades and spinners. There are two canopies provided in the kit. I've painted one solid with Molotow chrome ink over a blue frame. It's quite toy like, but that's the direction the build is heading. I have the second canopy, still transparent, if I think that would be a better bet once everything is together.

The clear on the decals worked, although they are very fragile indeed. I've added most of the ones I intend using, with the fuel filler caps still to be added to the wing tops. As I'm looking for a desk display look now, I won't be adding the 'No Step' markings or the black wing walks. 

I've also drilled a hole underneath the fuselage and glued in a plastic tube that a paper spike can fit through to make a stand for the plane.

20210628-150245.jpg

The numbers and letters are wrong for a Bomber version but they are OK by me for a desk build. I've upended the 6 and made it a 9 on the nose, very Jimi Hendricks.  I don't mind.

The urge to prop everything together, to give me an idea if this desk model idea has legs, was too much for me. Two sheets of orange card and a phone camera later, a Savage appears...

20210628-145832.jpg

Nearly there now.

Tony.

• Like 4