Classic Airframes Lockheed Hudson III, 113(BR), RCAF - New photo's for April 30th

I'll probably be doing the Wireless operators position when I get to the fuselage, any help would be appreciated.  What is going to give me a headache is vacuforming a Boulton Paul turret. The Classics offering looks kind of like a mushroom! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I'll probably be doing the Wireless operators position when I get to the fuselage, any help would be appreciated.  What is going to give me a headache is vacuforming a Boulton Paul turret. The Classics offering looks kind of like a mushroom! 

Does one of the Ventura boxings have the BP turret in it?  Maybe worth a look?

Sensational work going on there, keep it up, the Hudson is one of my favorite Aircraft

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Does one of the Ventura boxings have the BP turret in it?  Maybe worth a look?

Yes, the Revell Ventura RAF has the correct BP turret. Unfortunately the kit is out of production, sold out on all the vendors I look at,  Revell Germany says they have no spare or replacement parts available, and the kit, used, on EvilBay commands absurd prices (far more than you would pay for just the turret).

It's a shame, as with that release, Revell had corrected the wrong props on the US release.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Yes, the Revell Ventura RAF has the correct BP turret. Unfortunately the kit is out of production, sold out on all the vendors I look at,  Revell Germany says they have no spare or replacement parts available, and the kit, used, on EvilBay commands absurd prices (far more than you would pay for just the turret).

It's a shame, as with that release, Revell had corrected the wrong props on the US release.

I have good access to a Hudson restoration that I can visit on a weekend or get areas photographed you might need from one of the guys there

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:03 AM, Tail-Dragon said:

If you PM me your e mail address I`ll get some stuff off to you mate. For the turret,..... what about the Revell/Monogram Ventura Mk.I/II,.... the RAF bomber version,.... it has the correct turret and it is a beauty too. You can built the Ventura without the turret later,..... and they were recently being sold off quite cheaply.  

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 4:37 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

I have good access to a Hudson restoration that I can visit on a weekend or get areas photographed you might need from one of the guys there

Cheers Anthony

That's very kind of you, but I wouldn't want you to go to that kind of trouble for me. I'm not sure how much of the interior will be seen, in any event.

Thanks,

colin

• Like 1

More progress. I thought the easiest way to deal with the slots on the wing was to cut out the leading edge at the slots, build up the interior, and re-attach the leading edge.  Should work (I hope)

wing 5

... bit more on the engines,

engines - 6

... and, while everything else was setting up, I've started on the cockpit.

The panel was so out of whack, the undersized throttle quadrant would have only been reachable by the Bombardier/Navigator - so the panel was rebuilt, and a new quadrant made (levers to be added later).  And the bottom pedestal intruded way to far into the Pilots leg space - so it was cut back on one side, and extended on the other.

cockpit 1

cockpit 4

cockpit 3

Image1

Miles to go, yet ...

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 9

... a bit more on the Hudson. The wing slots are coming along ...

wing 6

... and some more structure on the cockpit/navigator positions. There was so much wrong or missing that I might have been farther ahead to scratch build the whole thing.

cockpit 5

cockpit 6

I had to notch my wing spar to clear the radio operator's floor, and add a doubler for strength.  I couldn't move the wing spar any farther back, or it wouldn't clear the wheel wells.

Now that I have the basic shapes, I can start adding the details.

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 7

... more progress, I just have to add belts, and do the Radio operators position now ...

cockpit 7

cockpit 8

... and the wing slots a finished, just have to restore the missing panel lines.

wing 7

wing 8

wing 9

I should be able to start painting soon!

Colin

• Like 9

Well, the side windows are installed, and the cockpit is finally finished (as far as I'm going to go). I just have to finish the turret base and I'll be ready to close the fuselage.

cockpit 9

cockpit 10

cockpit 11

cockpit 12

cockpit 13

cockpit 14

Who knows how much will be seen!

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 8

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Classic Airframes Lockheed Hudson III, 113(BR), RCAF - New photo's for April 30th

The cockpit looks absolutely fantastic,  you have done a cracking job. When I did the Ventura you could see the Radio Op compartment but no further back and nothing really in the nose  the Hudson is different though and with the windows in the nose you will see some of it, so all you efforts are worthwhile. 

Great work