SAS A320NEO new cs 1/144

Hi,

I've been reading here for quite some time now and looked at some fantastic builts, that really inspire me for my modelling.

Let me present you my SAS A320 NEO that I finished yesterday.

It is not the new Zvezda kit, as this wasn't yet released when I started the model.
It's the Revell A320 neo, with wheels that I ordered via Revell's fantastic replacment part service. Decals are from LN decals and for sure one of the best I ever used. It also has  few parts (cables on the wheels + antennas)  from a Metallic Detail set.
Windows are obviously from Authentic Airliners that are a must for me.

Colours are Mr. Hobby H5 for the blue and everything else was mixed. 
SAS's new grey is pretty light and at first I had the bad idea of starting with Mr. Hobby H338 and trying to make it lighter...a pain. I quickly found out that starting with white and then making it darker withg the grey is the MUCH easier way. 

I hope you enjoy the photos and looking forward to Feedback

Julien

bm_sas_1f1jd9.jpg

bm_sas_2khkwv.jpg

bm_sas_33bjck.jpg

bm_sas_46kjmw.jpg

bm_sas_53lknz.jpg

Edited by JK_Models
double image
  • Like 17

Welcome to Britmodeller and thanks for posting such an excellent model.  The third photo is amazingly realistic and reminds me of what it was like to look out of the terminal window and watch your aircraft parking on the stand. I hope it won't be too long until we can do that again.

Thanks also for the idea of using the Revell replacement parts service - I hadn't thought of that but it's obvious when somebody else suggests it!

Dave G

• Like 1

Hi Julien,

Welcome to Britmodeller, good to have another airline modeller around.

What a great introduction, beautifully finished.

Good to know the colours you've used as I have the new Zvezda A320 neo on the way and might be finishing it in this livery. What did you use for the silver engine colour?

Great idea for the landing gear replacement. I think Revell made a mistake not including undercarriage as an option.

Looking forward to seeing more from your work bench!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

@everybody: 
Thank you very much for the nice welcome and the nice feedback. I appreciate it a lot.

I can say  a bit more as an introduction.
I am in my mid-thirties and am a huge (mostly civil) aviation fan since I was a kid having grown up close to Frankfurt Airport. Mostly I do photos, but some 1,5 years a go I picked up modelling again (have done a few before, but rather occasionally and not really good). Luckily I have two good friends that are modellers as well, the first is doing civil airliners as well and taught me a lot, the second is doing military models and has also shown me some tricks here and there and furthermore his family gifted me an airbrush system on Christmas 2019 and it got serious from then on. And yeah due to the pandemic I suddenly had and still have more time than usual and use it also for modelling. I did the following models in the past 1,5 years:
- Air New Zealand A321 Neo Revell All Blacks livery
- KLM 737-700 Zvezday new livery
- TAP A321 Neo Revell retro livery
- Azores A321 Neo "Wonder" livery
Haven't done good shots of those yet, but will do so and might post some here as well.

@Skodadriver:
Thanks for the kind words.
I can definitely recommend the Revell replacement service. They are fast & generous. Good if you need parts for conversions (I am currently doing bulding a 747-400 that I cut from a 748 and got my winglets from Revell) or if you tend to lose or screw small parts like me. 😉

@Ian:
Thanks. Big fan of your models.  They are really as good as it gets and work as examples for me!
I am currently building an Authentic Airliners 757 (will be a United "Her art here")and the 744 as a conversion from a 748) and in both cases some of your models inspired me to do so.

As for the silver I used some leftovers that I used for the TAP A321 retro fuselage. I found it to be a good fit. I think I mixed Tamiya X-11 Chrome silver with some grey (surely my favourite Mr Hobby H338) to make it less shiny.
Otherwise would be cool to see your version of it certainly, I think it is a nice livery. Not the most spectacular ever, but I have a special connection to Norway so for me it was a good choice.
Generally looking at shots I was surprised that both the grey and the blue were lighter than I thought in my mind. The grey is also definitely lighter and has a colder tone than on the old livery.

And yeah I still havent got how Revell could bring out that 320 without gear. I think most people are building those planes with gear and then they have it, so why not insert it and give peope the option? I guess everyone would be willing to pay 2 EUR more, the Revell modell still would be faaaar from expensive.

Julien

Edited by JK_Models

Welcome on BM.

A superb entry you have presented here.Top build all around and a nice livery as well.

I recently bought the Zvezda NEO with these markings.

Thank you for the explanation of paint used.

Zvezda's instructions give some wrong suggestions to that.

Greetings from Switzerland

Alex

• Like 1

Hey Alex, 

Thanks a lot!
I read some wrong instructions on that somewhere as well (not sure where anymore). But I studied a lot of photos (including some of mine where I know there was no colour manipulation / excessive editing)  and did quite a few tests comparing with shots again. Much more effort than I usually do on colour mixing 😉

I am happy if I can help out, and yeah looking forward to see more SAS Neo's!
Also looking forward to some building experiences of the Zvezda version. The fit of the Revell is NOT great, so the fuselage needs quite some sanding work.

Edited by JK_Models
  • Like 1