1/72 - Curtiss C-46A/D Commando by Valom - released - new boxing in 2023

Homebee

Not saying anything till see the price. I remember all those people who were enthusiastic about the Kalinin K-7. Still Vaclav appears confident with 5 boxings spread out over the years.

36 minutes ago, dalea said:

Not saying anything till see the price. I remember all those people who were enthusiastic about the Kalinin K-7. Still Vaclav appears confident with 5 boxings spread out over the years.

Preliminary price in the Netherlands is 42,95 in euro’s....the Williams secondhand fetches more....

Just now, janneman36 said:

Preliminary price in the Netherlands is 42,95 in euro’s...

Less than I expected. This is a big kit.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 5:07 AM, TheFlyingDutchman said:

I do have some C-46 Buffalo decals left which I designed for a friend a few years back. They are ALPS and laser printed, so not the sharpest decals you'll ever see, but they worked well for said friend. If anyone's interested mail me at [email protected] , I only have a few sets as I do not have any commercial intentions with this! 

549f2ea24a85bef6099f6756cc5c6621.jpg

That is a beautiful finish on that kit.

1 hour ago, dalea said:

Not saying anything till see the price. I remember all those people who were enthusiastic about the Kalinin K-7

The Mikro-mir one?

Considering the enormous size of the thing in 1/72 and the somewhat niche aspect and therefore limited run, I found some suggestions of people expecting a sub-100 price rather daft.  AMS ended up selling (they had 10 in stock) all of them anyway. 
Don't think that's a real fair comparison in this case.

• Like 1

I agree.  The market for a C-46 will certainly be much larger than for a Kalinin K-7.  It is one thing to be enthusiastic that a model exists of an exotic type and quite another thing to buy one.  Particularly bearing in mind that in the market, the vast majority of aircraft are exotic.  Including the C-46, to be fair, but considerably less so as it does fall into the popular categories of WW2, military and US.  As opposed to inter-war and Soviet.  Which is sad for those of us attracted to the more exotic types, but if they were popular and widely available they wouldn't be exotic, would they?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I agree.  The market for a C-46 will certainly be much larger than for a Kalinin K-7.  It is one thing to be enthusiastic that a model exists of an exotic type and quite another thing to buy one.  Particularly bearing in mind that in the market, the vast majority of aircraft are exotic.  Including the C-46, to be fair, but considerably less so as it does fall into the popular categories of WW2, military and US. 

The C-46 was used by some of the most popular to model air arms:

China, Israeli Air Force, Japan Air Self-Defense Force, South Korean Air Force. United States Air Force, United States Marine Corps &  United States Navy

And civilian operators like Lufthansa, FOF in Norway and the ones hauling cargo in Alaska and Northern Canada are also quite popular. 

Photo by Ralf Manteufel - http://abpic.co.uk/photo/1219253/, GFDL 1.2, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=44128137

Lufthansa_Curtiss_C-46D_Commando_at_D%C3

Edited by LN-KEH
Adding photo credit
  • Like 6

On 11/04/2021 at 23:20, dalea said:

I got the K7 Worth every cent IMHO (I don't think people realise how big it is in 72nd

• Like 1

Question: why did at least one (post-war, obviously) Lufthansa C-46 carry U.S. registration numbers?  Was this needed to get into and out of West Berlin?  I think the color scheme is pretty cool for this fat bird!

On 4/12/2021 at 6:20 AM, TheFlyingDutchman said:

Which is why it still bears the LH crane logo on the fuselage, as a tribute! 

AVO is still in service with Buffalo Airways. I was in that plane when it was with Air Manitoba until the mid '90s.

34 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

AVO is still in service with Buffalo Airways. I was in that plane when it was with Air Manitoba until the mid '90s.

C-GTPO still fly’s as well with Buffalo, so they have two C-46s active..

2 hours ago, janneman36 said:

C-GTPO still fly’s as well with Buffalo, so they have two C-46s active..

Those were all ex Air Manitoba planes. They had four or five until they closed up in '94. I was apprenticing for my first year AME and got to tinker a little on AVO and I think TPO. Was only there for a few months before they closed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A welcome addition. They may not be the easiest of kits, but I like the subjects they do.

Would still like a reworked Albemarle though..