1/72 - Curtiss C-46A/D Commando by Valom - released - new boxing in 2023

Homebee

Bah! Finished the Williams Bros kit last year! Still a ‘rite of passage’ build though it’s 45 years old!

long overdue this and will pretty much close the market on C-46s I suspect.

nice one Valom now get busy with the Varsity

TT

• Like 4

Excellent - I have a partially completed Williams Bros kit which has been sitting on the shelf for at least 25 years ...  tried to get clever with it (rescribe, foil finish) and seem to have lost my way. In the interim one or two parts seem to have gone missing. So the Valom kit will be welcome indeed - and save me hunting for a 2nd hand Williams to complete my kit.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

Same here ....got three of them Williams-Brothers that is but it is always a sort of a struggle building these so I am interested in a kit that I don’t have to rescribe ..got tons of aftermarket as well for these..

I hope they do some different engine versions as well😉

Come on and take my money 💰 

I finished this Williams Brothers one in 2014.  A friend works for Everts where they are still flying two of the C-46Rs.  I don't remember any significant problems, though I did not worry about re-scribing or any inaccuracies in the kit.  Used Drawbaugh Decal decals.

spacer.png

• Like 16

I was flying Oil & Gas support out of Deadhorse late 2009 and 2010, Everts' C-46 and DC-6s were regular visitors up there and I loved watch them on their forever takeoff run, climbing out at a very shallow angle.

The sound from the twin 2800s was louder than even my AW-139, and seemed to echo as far as the Brooke range, some 50 miles away.

• Like 1

Some more boxings announced

Source: http://www.valom.net/?page_id=1137

- ref. 72145 - Curtiss C-46A Commando

145.jpg

- ref. 72146 - Curtiss C-46D Commando - CCG

146.jpg

- ref. 72151 - Curtiss C-46D Commando - JASDF

72151-Curtiss-C-46-D-Commando-JASDF.jpg

- ref. 72152 - Curtiss C-46D Commando - Operation Varsity

152.jpg

- ref. 72153 - Curtiss R5C-1 Commando - USMC

153.jpg

- ref. 72154 - Curtiss C-46D Commando - Air National Guard

154.jpg

- ref. 72155 - Curtiss C-46A Commando - Israeli Air Force

72155-Curtiss-C-46-A-Commando-IAF.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Curtiss C-46A/D Commando by Valom - box art - release in 2021

I had my hopes high for some different engine nacelle options like this..

https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000520147.html

but I have to do my own chop shop work on this one .....maybe I am still gonna finish the four Williams kits in the stash then as the interior shall be mostly the same as the Williams ..probably they will have some etch but I have these already covered by the Maestro sets I have. .....🤔🤔

But probably I will be buying one or two just for the fun of it🥳🤪 one good thing is that they are affordable were as the Williams still does very high prices on the net😭

The elevators were modified on later models  and different shape to the Williams Brothers kit. Wonder if Valom are taking this into account ?

16 hours ago, Maverick231 said:

I am so happy this has been announced!

Being a huge Ice Pilots NWT fan I really really want someone to release her with this option!

51066822931_5ea432d941_c.jpg

That or any Buffalo Airways livery as seen on a 46!

Yes indeed, with you on that one!  However If I remember there was some kind of licencing problem with Buffalo and they wouldn't allow anyone to use their markings on decals? Although I did use some Leading Edge decals for a C47 some years ago?

Hope someone out there can clarify or even produce some for us? What about that nice man at Twosix??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do have some C-46 Buffalo decals left which I designed for a friend a few years back. They are ALPS and laser printed, so not the sharpest decals you'll ever see, but they worked well for said friend. If anyone's interested mail me at [email protected] , I only have a few sets as I do not have any commercial intentions with this! 

549f2ea24a85bef6099f6756cc5c6621.jpg

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman
  • Like 11

On 3/24/2021 at 6:49 AM, T-21 said:

The elevators were modified on later models  and different shape to the Williams Brothers kit. Wonder if Valom are taking this into account ?

Which ones do the Buffalo aircraft have?

Leading Edge once did a set with different wing tips and tailplanes in resin with their decals for a Canadian Pacific example. I had two sets of these but sold one and the other does not have the resin bits. Though the decalsheet insert does have scale drawings of the tips and tail.

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Leading Edge once did a set with different wing tips and tailplanes in resin with their decals for a Canadian Pacific example. I had two sets of these but sold one and the other does not have the resin bits. Though the decalsheet insert does have scale drawings of the tips and tail.

If I am correct I bought the set from you😆..

I can tell at least the C-GTPO has the shortened wingtips and the aluminium ailerons and C-FAVO has the long (older version) wing tips..

At the moment I don’t know which tailplanes they have , these combinations of wingtips and tailplanes do differ through the years on freight hauling C46es

Given the types they have announced I don’t think they do variations as they all had the same wings, tailplanes and engine cowlings in that timeframe..but I still can hope they do the C-46F in the end..

cheers, Jan

13 hours ago, TheFlyingDutchman said:

I do have some C-46 Buffalo decals left which I designed for a friend a few years back. They are ALPS and laser printed, so not the sharpest decals you'll ever see, but they worked well for said friend. If anyone's interested mail me at [email protected] , I only have a few sets as I do not have any commercial intentions with this! 

549f2ea24a85bef6099f6756cc5c6621.jpg

I have a set for this version and I can recommend it to any one who wants to build one ..

cheers, Jan

9 hours ago, janneman36 said:

If I am correct I bought the set from you😆..

I can tell at least the C-GTPO has the shortened wingtips and the aluminium ailerons and C-FAVO has the long (older version) wing tips..

At the moment I don’t know which tailplanes they have , these combinations of wingtips and tailplanes do differ through the years on freight hauling C46es

Given the types they have announced I don’t think they do variations as they all had the same wings, tailplanes and engine cowlings in that timeframe..but I still can hope they do the C-46F in the end..

cheers, Jan

Ah yes. Thats right. Have you used them yet?😉

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Ah yes. Thats right. Have you used them yet?😉

To be honestly I did not 🤗but I have four Williams kit in the stash but somehow they always stall ....

Started two but they stall as they do need a heck of a lot attention as they will benefit scribing and redo the windows as they are in the wrong place as well...

I do think I will finish one in the end as they look great once build but I will probably also will be adding a Valom kit as they hit the shelves..

cheeers, Jan

• Like 1