An Italian Kangaroo - 1/72 Italeri Carro Armato M13/40 in Australian Service ***finished***

When I first saw this group build I went straight to wiki to see what tanks the Australian and New Zealand armies have used.

The image that struck me the most was this.

Captured_Italian_tanks_005042.jpg

Some research and there was a kit of an M13/40 (tucked away in the back there) by Italeri in my preferred scale.

It took a few weeks of searching Ebay but I finally got one.

20210320_235607.jpg

With a lovely Aussie decal option.

20210320_235645.jpg

Its a pretty straight forward kit.

20210320_235755.jpg

I'm not planning anything fancy just a straight forward OOB build.

Edited by sardaukar
  • Like 5

I actually took the pics for the above lastnight and got stuck into the build while forgetting to start a thread.

Some progress has been made and its a quick build generally. A nice little kit.

However, I think our Gucci Italian Tank commander is destined for the spares box.

20210321_022553.jpg

In general the parts are going together well, although the idler wheels dont seem to mate properly and have off centre holes.

Also the tool brackets for the engine deck seem way too small.

20210321_232237.jpg

A nice break from my PZIII build.

• Like 3

Build is pretty much done and ready for painting, although it might need a couple of gaps filled.

20210322_023455.jpg

I replaced the tool brackets on the engine deck with parts of a flat staple bent into shape. Which worked well but still doesn't look anything like the real bracket but then the tools are oversized too.

20210322_023503.jpg

Edited by sardaukar
  • Like 5

20210324_020421.jpg

Undercoated in grey, some preshading and then basecoated in Vallejo Modelair Sand Yellow and did some highlights in UK light stone.

Paint the details maybe a wash, decals and then dirty it up next.

I quite like the tracks the kit comes with they have this sort of keyhole buckle system (for want of a correct term), while it might be a bit more noticeable than other vinyl track joining mechanisms it looks like it will be a lot more reliable. 

Edited by sardaukar
  • Like 4

I've painted in some of the details with various Vallejo colours.

I also messed around with some Citadel washes I still have from my warhammer days. Seraphim Sepia on the armour and Fuegan Orange on the tracks, both worked well but I think I couldve gone a lot heavier with the Sepia. The Fuegan Orange is an interesting rust colour. Trying a few things on this model I may apply to my Dunklegelb Pz III in its group build.

Its going to get a spray of gloss next and then decals. after they are sealed I'll try some AK enamel panel liners and other weathering.

The tracks went on fairly easily without too much loss of paint leaving the drive sprockets off definitely helped, normally I'd have ripped an idler wheel off putting on the tracks.

20210325_022153.jpg

20210325_022204.jpg

• Like 4

so I woke up this morning to find this.

20210325_110109.jpg

20210325_110124.jpg

Ive only used acrylics on it so far and the tracks were attached by superglue, so I'm guessing it was mechanical stress alone that broke the tracks, they arent even that tight so maybe the sprocket teeth forced them apart, no idea. :wtf:

The model almost went in the bin :cry:

Im hoping Gorilla gluing them to the sprockets will do the job and weathering will hide the join. otherwise they will need to come off and I'll need to find an alternative to fix them like thread or a staple, but whats to say that a fresh undamaged part of the track round the sprocket wont go the same way. :headbang:

• Sad 3

Almost 24 hours later and the tracks have started to split at the idler wheels too. :swear: 

Feel I was tempting fate praising the tracks earlier. This was supposed to be a quick build, no aftermarket doodads.

Those tracks aren't fit for purpose and what reviews I can find seem to hint at the need for aftermarket tracks.

Before I splash out on some OKB Grigorov resin tracks (who doesnt seem to offer uk shipping options). I have an idea which will require debonder, a steady hand, sharp knife, patience, more superglue and will probably mess up my paint job so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Before I splash out on some OKB Grigorov resin tracks (who doesnt seem to offer uk shipping options). I have an idea which will require debonder, a steady hand, sharp knife, patience, more superglue and will probably mess up my paint job so far.

Hi @sardaukar.  If you do manage to get the old tracks off OK, then I have a spare set of Vickers E (6 ton), tracks which I'd be happy to send you.  IIRC the design of the M13/40 was based on the Vickers.  No guarantees that they will fit, but it could be worth a try.  The tracks are from a Mirage Hobby kit and are vinyl too (but look much better than Italeri's).  Either way, I'd probably keep away from using superglue if at all possible.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/03/2021 at 06:50, CliffB said:

Hi @sardaukar.  If you do manage to get the old tracks off OK, then I have a spare set of Vickers E (6 ton), tracks which I'd be happy to send you.  IIRC the design of the M13/40 was based on the Vickers.  No guarantees that they will fit, but it could be worth a try.  The tracks are from a Mirage Hobby kit and are vinyl too (but look much better than Italeri's).  Either way, I'd probably keep away from using superglue if at all possible.

Cheers

Hi @CliffB thank you very much for the kind offer, although my planned surgery seems to have been successful so it shouldn't be needed.

I was considering using some link and length tracks from a Vickers E UM MT kit, but in the end I turned the supplied tracks into some crude link and length tracks which worked better than I expected :fingerscrossed:.

Will post some pics once I've cleaned it up a bit.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Hi @CliffB thank you very much for the kind offer, although my planned surgery seems to have been successful so it shouldn't be needed.

That's good news :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I've just caught up with this Sardaukar. Great choice. I have thought about this build also but never bought the kit: I didn't know that the kangaroo decals come with the kit. That's a boon. 

I feel your pain with the tracks. I was trying to get some tracks from OKB too, for the Panzer III GB:

OKB: "so - new regulation by "  UK government elected by UK sensitized who know (not like us) what democracy is" prevent small business to work/export to UK"

Angus: "What to do?"

OKB: "Well if your order is over 135 UK's money we can ship it and you will have the responsibility to deal with your government's mess, otherwise- there is nothing we can do."

!

Presumably "135 UK's money", is £135, so that's a lot of tracks! I presume this is a Brexit effect. I might have to go to Rees-Mogg Resin Imports Inc.

Angus (very very bitter). 

Edited by Angus Tura
wrong name
  • Like 1

I built the Esci Valentine recently my first tank in 40 plus years, track were a complete swine to glue together  !

I don't remember this problem as a nipper, as the kits are the same do you think the glue nowadays is not as good ?

Looks really great, bet you are glad you didn't have to paint the Italian version  !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I built the Esci Valentine recently my first tank in 40 plus years, track were a complete swine to glue together  !

I don't remember this problem as a nipper, as the kits are the same do you think the glue nowadays is not as good ?

Looks really great, bet you are glad you didn't have to paint the Italian version  !

Cheers Pat 

Ah one bonus is that the Australian version is one colour.

I have built the esci valentine it had link and length tracks which were a bit fiddly but fine.

The M13/40 has quite rigid vinyl tracks which just split where they were curved at each end, not even a glue issue.

I got the kit off ebay second hand it doesnt look that old but maybe the vinyl degrades with age.

4 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I've just caught up with this Sardaukar. Great choice. I have thought about this build also but never bought the kit: I didn't know that the kangaroo decals come with the kit. That's a boon. 

I feel your pain with the tracks. I was trying to get some tracks from OKB too, for the Panzer III GB:

OKB: "so - new regulation by "  UK government elected by UK sensitized who know (not like us) what democracy is" prevent small business to work/export to UK"

Angus: "What to do?"

OKB: "Well if your order is over 135 UK's money we can ship it and you will have the responsibility to deal with your government's mess, otherwise- there is nothing we can do."

!

Presumably "135 UK's money", is £135, so that's a lot of tracks! I presume this is a Brexit effect. I might have to go to Rees-Mogg Resin Imports Inc.

Angus (very very bitter). 

Not getting into politics but I dont really understand OKB's stance. Ive bought a kit from Italy, decals from the Netherlands, gun barrels from Poland and conversion parts from Germany all without issues since the start of the year. £135? if anything I think smaller stuff will fly under the radar.

Tanks n Troops sell OKB stuff (for a markup) and have a good selection of other aftermarket stuff, I havent tried them yet but they might want our money.

I know what you're saying. I actually got confirmation of an order being sent last week...from OKB Grigorov! I'll ask again on e-mail. 

I have had a few orders at Tanks and Troops. They're good, but you don't need to be in a hurry. What they have on the website and what they have in stock are two different things.

Alan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I have had a few orders at Tanks and Troops. They're good, but you don't need to be in a hurry. What they have on the website and what they have in stock are two different things.

Good to know, thanks.

Hello

I'm calling the above finished and will post pics in the complete thread.

The box details claim they belong to an unknown unit however my basic research says they were used by 2/6th Cavalry Commando Regiment (Australia) at Tobruk in January 1941.

Another photo from the Australian War Memorial collection with the 'decal' artist at work.

7535450.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 12:09 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers Pat 

I remember this problem as a Nipper!  

It happened to my attempt at Esci’s M13/40 and also their Marder III.  The former overnight and the latter right in front of my eyes just after I had finished it and placed it in my Display Cabinet flipping the thing over like it had been hit by a Russian 85mm shell!  

This put me off Esci AFV kits for a long time. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:56 AM, sardaukar said:

The box details claim they belong to an unknown unit however my basic research says they were used by 2/6th Cavalry Commando Regiment (Australia) at Tobruk in January 1941.

The “Commando” bit wasn’t added until later in the War when the Unit fought in the Pacific. 

• Thanks 1

• sardaukar changed the title to An Italian Kangaroo - 1/72 Italeri Carro Armato M13/40 in Australian Service ***finished***