Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Nearly missed this one Johnny, moving quick and she's looking great! Quick question, what's your go to technique for the 1/72 scratch belts? They look fantastic and I need to add some to my liberator soon. Cheers, enjoy the long weekend! Sam

Thanks Sam. These days I either use pie tin foil or in this case the foil from Swann  Morton blades. Cut to strips, primed , painted and bits of spares tin PE stuck on for buckles and strap parts.

foil is great because it stays in your bent shape. 😀

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Splendid progress, Johnny :clap: Enjoy your time off :)

 

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio. Along with modelling I think I’ve been snagged to paint rooms and do gardening too. 😬

1 hour ago, Red Rat said:

Great stuff! I'm really enjoying watching you build this.

 

I know about the problems of the Typhoon - wing too thick, lack of high altitude performance, reliability issues with the early Sabres and of course the well known structural issues with the tail on the early ones. Still, what a truly magnificent beastie, eh?

 

I stumbled across this Canadian project the other day and thought others may be interested. They have some great youtube videos. Makes me wish I could build in 1:1!

 

https://www.typhoonlegacy.com

Glad you’re enjoying the build. Thanks for the link. Some great shots in there. 😍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Red Rat said:

I know about the problems of the Typhoon

Don’t forget getting shot down by your own side. This was also an issue with the P47 btw as both looked a bit too like an FW190.

 

If you’re interested in things Typhoin this was a very enjoyable read:-

 

Hawker Typhoon: The Combat History By Richard Townshend Bickers

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Don’t forget getting shot down by your own side. This was also an issue with the P47 btw as both looked a bit too like an FW190.

 

If you’re interested in things Typhoin this was a very enjoyable read:-

 

Hawker Typhoon: The Combat History By Richard Townshend Bickers

Interesting. 😀 I didn’t know that. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little more done this morning while waiting for the sun to get his hat on.

🌞

The canopy got masked and an internal blast sprayed.

51090285540_0ff687baac_b.jpg

Then disaster!!!! Well almost. My primer ran out so I got a new tin from storage. Very cold. I have now found that spraying Tamiya primer too cold caused it to spray on thick and wet. 😵

luckily after it dried I could sand back and fix up after the tin had warmed.

Top 

51090019258_77ee470fd6_b.jpg

And a dead one. 

51090285610_a73c3b2522_b.jpg

ooh you can just see the little Hind A in the background. 😍

Pre shade time.

top.

51089565117_0b96932126_b.jpg

Bottom!

51090285620_f16c526626_b.jpg

Aaand side.

51089565097_5dac5c7656_b.jpg

Looking lovely.

“Wake up! Time to dry” 

*sorry. 🤣

sun is out so I’m headed for the garden.

 

Hope you’re all having fun.

 

Happy Modelling.

 

Johnny.

  • Like 16
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

 

“Wake up! Time to dry” 

Not with teas in the rain... (double sorry).

 

This is going fast!  What is your go-to for paint?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, opus999 said:

Not with teas in the rain... (double sorry).

 

This is going fast!  What is your go-to for paint?

Love it. 🤣 I use Tamiya acrylics mostly. 🙌

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Love it. 🤣 I use Tamiya acrylics mostly. 🙌

Wow... I meant to say "Tears", but you got what I meant.  Y kant I spel?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going quite apace here, Johnny! Nice pre-shading :clap:

 

Ciao 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice little kit Johnny and you’re making it shine :) 

I think I want one now...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very fine job on the tiffy John !!

Aaaah what a pleasure to see a bench with some models on it !!

See, seriel modelling is really funny indeed...

Just follow the inspiration of the moment....

Happy Easter !!

Sincerely.

CC

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny, great progress—concur, there is not much to critique Airfix on this one, it practically falls together—I concur with not liking black for the area behind the pilots armor—I went with German Grey, but may use Rubber Black in the future based on your stunning results—you will lap my build—I hope it’s not a race😁😎 enjoy your holiday—best, Erwin

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/04/2021 at 19:19, opus999 said:

Wow... I meant to say "Tears", but you got what I meant.  Y kant I spel?

I did. I did. 😀

On 02/04/2021 at 19:21, giemme said:

Going quite apace here, Johnny! Nice pre-shading :clap:

 

Ciao 

Thanks G. Getting ready for the museum build.

On 02/04/2021 at 23:24, CedB said:

Nice little kit Johnny and you’re making it shine :) 

I think I want one now...

Do it. You know you want to. 😇🤪🥳🙌

On 03/04/2021 at 10:12, corsaircorp said:

Very fine job on the tiffy John !!

Aaaah what a pleasure to see a bench with some models on it !!

See, seriel modelling is really funny indeed...

Just follow the inspiration of the moment....

Happy Easter !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Many kits is fun but the plate spinning can get out of hand so I enjoy singular bench items. Helps me relax. 💆‍♂️

On 03/04/2021 at 16:22, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, great progress—concur, there is not much to critique Airfix on this one, it practically falls together—I concur with not liking black for the area behind the pilots armor—I went with German Grey, but may use Rubber Black in the future based on your stunning results—you will lap my build—I hope it’s not a race😁😎 enjoy your holiday—best, Erwin

Thanks. It’s not a race. Enjoy modelling at your own pace. As long as you’re having fun eh. 😇

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon you lot. Hope you’re all having a funny sunny weekend. I have pootled in the garden. Seen some old friends. (Back garden drinks)/ dog walks and got some modelling in.  Can’t ask for more than that really.  Let’s see how the Typhoon is coming along. 😀

The underside got its coat a few days ago.  That went down really well.

51096590309_34f2d3aa39_b.jpg

The exhausts got some metallics. This will get knocked right back.

51096607017_8d5ce7d973_b.jpg

The legs and the UC doors also got some shiny goodness.

51096514736_938f27bdf1_b.jpg 51097054328_5bd3002093_b.jpg

This morning has seen a lot of progress. I’m trying to get things done in batches to make the modelling more efficient and less faffy. So with that in mind as all of the sun assemblies were complete I figured all the painting could get done in one morning. 😇👨‍🎨😲😬😛

So making got done on the underside.

51096607032_7bcecf8b7e_b.jpg

The lighter blue grey got a free hand coat.

51097054248_37439b93cb_b.jpg

And the other side. This is always tricky but I think I’m getting the hang of it.

51096589514_11e8a1c65e_b.jpg

I find Tamiya acrylics dry really fast, so after about a 20min drying period I could add small worms and tape fillers.

51096606647_7ab674be46_b.jpg

This went on well.

51096606622_7d62d75706_b.jpg

I noticed the nose had split slightly because of the stick I’d popped in the front so I fixed it up and held with a peg instead.

Right on with the green.

51097053903_3013e806d4_b.jpg

Just enough of the pre shade showing through. 

51096514226_1b503d2f7d_b.jpg

Once again only about 20 mins till dry (if that) and masks off.

51097314700_c6aa8d5041_b.jpg

There were a few small errors that got touched up but overall I’m happy with that. (Slight lightness added to the centre of some panels)

51097314720_2224be3bef_b.jpg

Pings better not in the booth.

51096514241_a6ab7b7b06_b.jpg

All the little bits got painted while the brush was loaded. Bombs.

51096607522_b5751404d2_b.jpg

Yellow tips.

51097315590_47ea80d968_b.jpg

Nose cone.

51097315555_a8117aacda_b.jpg

And base.

51096607412_fcb9fe1375_b.jpg

Quick dry then masking for the props.

51096515116_ca89228ce9_b.jpg

and the wheels.

51096515166_a3d7210372_b.jpg

Some blue on the UC doors.

51097315500_bcd36b38d7_b.jpg

All going well.

some times I have trouble with gloss coating too soon so I left everything for an hour or two then took a leap of faith.

bombs first.

51096606942_f806cc23b7_b.jpg

No problems there so on with the airframe. Bottom.

51096514896_1491554237_b.jpg

And top side.

51096514866_113b9909d5_b.jpg

This now needs to sit overnight before I put the decals on and do the weathering.  Hope you’re enjoying the build. Blink and you’ll miss it. 😃

 

Might have a bit of a snooze with the dog. 🙃

Until next time. 
 

Johnny.

 

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Blink and you’ll miss it.

Crikey, Johnny, that's about right! You've all but finished this little beauty in the same time as its taken me to fill and smooth a few seams! :D Looking really great, and the pre-shade has given a nice tonal variation, distinct but still subtle.

 

Enjoy your snooze - well-earned, I'd say!

 

Cheers,

Mark

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking very good indeed Johnny!

We can blink and miss it, but if you do it could get messy.....

 

Ian

btw the "nose cone" is a spinner!

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Crikey, Johnny, that's about right! You've all but finished this little beauty in the same time as its taken me to fill and smooth a few seams! :D Looking really great, and the pre-shade has given a nice tonal variation, distinct but still subtle.

 

Enjoy your snooze - well-earned, I'd say!

 

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks. Going at a pace to see if I can put process into practice over time.  Basically trying not to faff and get the tasks done. Seems to be working. 🤩

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Looking very good indeed Johnny!

We can blink and miss it, but if you do it could get messy.....

 

Ian

btw the "nose cone" is a spinner!

 

Ha! Spinner. Got it. Thanks. Funny you should say that but after all that speeding through without error I popped a top coat on the “spinner” just before walking zero and disaster! 😬😫

51097535478_cc16a253ba_b.jpg

I must have got lucky before. This has been left for way over an hour and it looks like I sprayed it with acid. ??

 

Not to worry, I sanded back after the walk and sprayed again. 

51097796610_4e6b822c8e_b.jpg

I don’t think I’ll be spraying my gloss coat so eagerly in the future.

 

💆‍♂️💆‍♂️💆‍♂️💆‍♂️

 

Johnny.

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny, looks fabulous—in particular, I really like how the greens came out with the pre & post shading—since you are using Tamiya acrylics, I assume you are using their RAF Green—what was the mix you used for the pre shade—I am guessing a more thinned green with a little more white or perhaps a little yellow—apologize if you walked us through it and I missed it.  In the meantime, we’ll done!🙌. Best, Erwin 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent camo painting, John! :worthy:  :clap: 

 

About the curing time: I have to say that I always allow for at least an overnight, even with Tamiya acrylics, especially if gloss and if the temperature is below 20°C. That "melting the base coat while spraying gloss clear" happened to me too.... :wall: 

 

Ciao

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work.  What did you paint the exhausts with? It almost looks like a polished aluminum from over here.  I'm interested to see how you treat those -- I'm never happy with my exhaust stacks.  (boy, that doesn't sound right, does it?).

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2021 at 03:48, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, looks fabulous—in particular, I really like how the greens came out with the pre & post shading—since you are using Tamiya acrylics, I assume you are using their RAF Green—what was the mix you used for the pre shade—I am guessing a more thinned green with a little more white or perhaps a little yellow—apologize if you walked us through it and I missed it.  In the meantime, we’ll done!🙌. Best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin. Well bit of a mix on the colour front. There are no exact matches for the Humbrol call outs. That was a bit of a pain 😕. I did a search for Tamiya matches and the green came back as one of the Kharki ones, drab I think. The blue had a match of XF-66 or there about but typically I didn’t have it in stock. 😒, It was close to a medium blue grey so I mixed in a bit more blue and got a good enough match. 
I assume you mean the post shade? If you do then I mix a few drops of white and twice as much thinner so it’s a very thin lighter version and use that.

 

Hope that helps. 🤩

On 06/04/2021 at 08:34, giemme said:

Excellent camo painting, John! :worthy:  :clap: 

 

About the curing time: I have to say that I always allow for at least an overnight, even with Tamiya acrylics, especially if gloss and if the temperature is below 20°C. That "melting the base coat while spraying gloss clear" happened to me too.... :wall: 

 

Ciao

Thanks G. I’ll be doing that in the future. I think I dodged a bullet. 

21 hours ago, opus999 said:

Beautiful work.  What did you paint the exhausts with? It almost looks like a polished aluminum from over here.  I'm interested to see how you treat those -- I'm never happy with my exhaust stacks.  (boy, that doesn't sound right, does it?).

Thanks.

It’s my go to for metals. Vallejo Acrylic metallics range. This one is flat Aluminum but I find it goes on quite shiny but you can knock It back if you wish and it flattens off with Tamiya top coats.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don`t know.

I have time out from the computer for a few days and come back to find you have all but finished her.

 

She looks sweet Johnny.

 

Nice job.

 

Simon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 7:24 PM, The Spadgent said:

I assume you mean the post shade? If you do then I mix a few drops of white and twice as much thinner so it’s a very thin lighter version and use that.

 

Johnny, exactly right--this is obviously a great technique you leveraged with spectacular results--I will be sure to use it on my next build involving a green or dark cammo color--this is a great Typhoon--cant wait to see where you go with the markings, the teeth 🙌 and the exhausts--best, Erwin 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2021 at 10:31, Spookytooth said:

Well, I don`t know.

I have time out from the computer for a few days and come back to find you have all but finished her.

 

She looks sweet Johnny.

 

Nice job.

 

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Yes nearly done.

On 09/04/2021 at 03:18, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, exactly right--this is obviously a great technique you leveraged with spectacular results--I will be sure to use it on my next build involving a green or dark cammo color--this is a great Typhoon--cant wait to see where you go with the markings, the teeth 🙌 and the exhausts--best, Erwin 

Well the markings and the teeth I can indulge you. Not yet with the stacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a week. It’s been super busy at work and Friday was my second lockdown birthday. So all in all not a lot of bench time. Still here is some progress. First up I wanted to get the mouth on. Especially for @corsaircorp

51109407609_b74d94c2a5_b.jpg

look at that!! Four decals later and we have ze pointy teeth. I’m really happy with the fit of them.

The roundels then went on well.

51109661056_c7a8ed8e4c_b.jpg To add to the fun this week Ravens have taken to trying to nest in our live chimney.  I don’t think they will get anywhere as I keep removing the sticks but hells bells sooooonmany sticks. This is from our bedroom, second chimney along on the left of the house. Crazy birds. 

51109095072_df8b296f1c_b.jpg

As for gifts this year I thought I’d hit the jackpot with this.

51110451155_24a352a2bd_b.jpg

Then I get this from my brother and my parents. 🤪🤪🤪

51109407704_7bd8228729_b.jpg

In my defense the top brick is none alcoholic. 😇

I also got this (not exactly a birthday gift) which I’m quite excited about. It’s been 35 years since I wanted this.🤤🤤

51109566208_e0beb96727_b.jpg

I don’t think BM has an RC section so I’ll be building this without a WIP. 😌 Anyhoo let’s get on with the tiffy.

The codes were the best I’ve ever seen. Very well cut out but without micro sol. Seen here they just wouldn’t settle.

51109660846_9ecd44d520_b.jpg

Luckily with lots of micro sol to hand they went down well.

51109407654_fe145a9cbc_b.jpg

Ooh almost forgot I also took a stock replenish of my favorite wash.

51109661021_71ea11e272_b.jpg

And some sanding tools.

51110438930_579e631178_b.jpg

love Flory stuff. 😍
Before I set out into the garden for a social distanced beer or three I added the leading edge yellow decal. This had to be split down the middle as the fit seemed really odd.

51109660561_7346a9c615_b.jpg

I was going to paint these but the decals looked good on other builds.

After lots of sol they went down so all in all  I’m happy. 🤗

51109094992_2dcfdd43ee_b.jpg

almost done but not today. Hope you all had a great weekend. 
 

More soon.

 

Johnny

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice teeth! She's looking very purposeful now. 

Envious of the beer!

 

Ian

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...