A Song for CC. Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B 1/72

Johnny, Really like the wheel bays on this—what did you use to weather?  I wish I had gobs of info & thoughts, but honestly, @opus999 is right, this kit practically falls together—Airfix should be commended for a well done kit—can’t wait to see Johnny’s progress—best, Erwin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Johnny,

great progress! The interior and wheel wells look great - what a shame about those pin marks, but you've got them sorted out! The ones in the corner look indented but the others (with the rib through) them look raised - is that just an optical illusion?

The parts breakdown with the floor boards on the upper wing is reminiscent of Arma's Hurricanes.

Looking forward to the next instalment :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Will be watching this one closely as have one in the stash, albeit with a broken undercart leg. I added the Yahu instrument panel to the box although I doubt it will be seen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rate this kit higher than Hasegawas 1/48 offering, in terms of ease of construction.

When I did my 1/24 sharkmouth Tiffy a few years back the info of that time pointed to aluminium gear bays, black upper cockpit with aluminium lower parts. Not much of that lovely grey/green used anywhere! 

But really nice work with those pesky ejector pin marks!

• Like 3

On 25/03/2021 at 00:23, VT Red Sox Fan said:

A 1/24 Typhoon from Johnny—I am already in!  Best, Erwin

Ha! Thanks. Don’t get too excited though. I have lots to do first. 😇

On 25/03/2021 at 00:57, opus999 said:

This will be fun!  When I did this kit, it was one of the most enjoyable I'd done up to that point.  IIRC, the seam work was minor and the only difficulty I had was a step at the wing root on one side (that I elected not to fix. 😕 ).  Sharkmouths are so ubiquitous that I kind of pass them by, but I rather like the sharkmouth on this Typhoon!  I've often thought of getting this kit just for the dramatic sharkmouth. :) 

I had a gander at your build. Looked amazing.  You should have another crack at it. Every one loves a shark mouth. 🤪🦈

On 25/03/2021 at 07:04, Hamden said:

Nice progress on this little gem

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger.

On 25/03/2021 at 09:23, Spookytooth said:

Those pesky pin marks get every where LOL.

Smoothly does it.

Simon.

Don’t they just.

On 25/03/2021 at 13:13, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, Really like the wheel bays on this—what did you use to weather?  I wish I had gobs of info & thoughts, but honestly, @opus999 is right, this kit practically falls together—Airfix should be commended for a well done kit—can’t wait to see Johnny’s progress—best, Erwin 

Thanks. To this point I used nothing to weather, just a pre shade but in the next post. I have used Tamiya silver weather pigment to add the aluminium look, Flory and Tamiya black pin wash.  

On 25/03/2021 at 13:51, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Johnny,

great progress! The interior and wheel wells look great - what a shame about those pin marks, but you've got them sorted out! The ones in the corner look indented but the others (with the rib through) them look raised - is that just an optical illusion?

The parts breakdown with the floor boards on the upper wing is reminiscent of Arma's Hurricanes.

Looking forward to the next instalment :)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks. Hmm not sure if the other marks were meant or not but they’re gone now. The ones on the rib were super weird but the thin chisel made light work of them.

On 25/03/2021 at 18:18, Wince said:

Will be watching this one closely as have one in the stash, albeit with a broken undercart leg. I added the Yahu instrument panel to the box although I doubt it will be seen. 

You’ll not be disappointed it’s a lovely kit so far. You can just see the IP but I think the kit stuff looks ok. 

On 26/03/2021 at 01:15, opus999 said:

I was in a bit of a hurry last night and missed the pin-marks.  Good save!  

Thanks.🙌

On 26/03/2021 at 05:33, Christer A said:

I rate this kit higher than Hasegawas 1/48 offering, in terms of ease of construction.

When I did my 1/24 sharkmouth Tiffy a few years back the info of that time pointed to aluminium gear bays, black upper cockpit with aluminium lower parts. Not much of that lovely grey/green used anywhere! 

But really nice work with those pesky ejector pin marks!

Ohhh I think I remember your 1/24 one. I’ll go see. I think I’ve fixed up the bays by adding aluminium pigment. I have darkened the pit but I’m not re doing it now. I have a pony in the wings. 🐎

On 26/03/2021 at 08:42, CedB said:

Bit late but I'm in!

Nice start Johnny - I want one now :) 

Do it, do it, do it.  You know you want to. 🤩

On 26/03/2021 at 10:54, corsaircorp said:

Great progress my Dear Spad !!

Now, I'll look for this sharkmouth but a 1/48 one of course

And buy one more Tiffy !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Is there a 1/42 one? 🤔 sorry for temping you with kits. That would never do. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good evening Britmodellers. Glad you’re all enjoying g the build. I have been getting the hind finished but have also been ticking along with this little wonder.

A weathering pass of Flory was added to the lower office internals.

51076250253_db7fb55546_b.jpg

I also added some Tamiya weathering powders to the boards.

51076250053_4ef8be4545_b.jpg

This then got glued via the gift of...

ppeeggss.

51076949721_8b2931d2f7_b.jpg

I wasn’t happy with the rigidity of the IP glue points so I added some strength with a spare bit of sprew. Also I’d forgotten to paint the inner intake. So clumsily sloshed on some paint with a hairy stick.

51076949511_b536fcdaa8_b.jpg

I know that the colours aren’t right but I darkened down after a Flory with a Tamiya pin wash. It looks dark enough when closed up. (Still wet)

51007763335_5d25b46eb4_b.jpg

The intake also got a Pin wash.

51076949646_f298418ca0_b.jpg

The IP had its decals trimmed and a few washes to make it look less OOB. I’m happy enough with it.

51007763095_90ec1dec90_b.jpg

The wells got a powder and a pin wash too. Better now those pins are gone.

51077047197_c2baf89d13_b.jpg

The stick and the pedals got fitted. Although the stick came off again as it made the fit a pain up the bottom.

51077047372_bd1893b53d_b.jpg

The seat got painted and I made some scratch belts.

51076249948_1dd2bcb60e_b.jpg

Quick dry fit with the floor in situ. Pretty detailed office for a 1/72.

51076249953_abe69e9219_b.jpg

I know it’s the same pic pretty much but I love this shot. Shows how lovely the kit details are. 

51076250158_502c795fdb_b.jpg

Last part for the day was popping on the intake.

51007763060_40f1ae17ba_b.jpg

If you’re going to build this please don’t neglect to paint the rear of the intake like I did. You can see it from tother side.  😩 it’s now painted. 🥸

Hope you’re enjoying this as much as I am.  More tomorrow.

Johnny 🦈

• Like 16

23 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great progress, Johnny, the "office" looks brilliant and the wash has really made the detail pop. Brilliant work!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks. It was going wonky for a while there but I quite like how it turned out. Pity you can’t see a whole lot of it.

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Brilliant job on the interiors,  Johnny - hard to believe this is 1/72!  :worthy:  :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio. Coming from the master of fine model making I’ll take that as a great compliment indeed. 🤩

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow!  Looks great!  Those kit details are quite nice aren't they?

Thanks. They are, I’m loving this kit.

• Like 2

It’s been a bit of a modeling day for sure. 😛🥰

All of a sudden the main parts came together.

51079828141_b0429a5120_b.jpg

No major fit issues apart from a bit of a gap at the front. I made some sprew goo and lined the gaps. I can only think that this will make the join stronger too.

51079923587_3e085d54cb_b.jpg

After reading about @AdrianMF’s frog challenge this morning I felt quite privileged and a little guilty that this kit literally put itself together so I found a bit that wasn’t quite perfect.

51079134428_dd08fbf978_b.jpg

😲Yes shock horror!!!! The gates on the wheels are a bit big. 😵😵 ...

yup that all I got. 😬 sorry it’s great. I shall flagellate myself later to make amends. 🤣

Oh and after a slight sand they brush up really nicely. 

51010645530_99b2e034de_b.jpg

I snipped off and cleaned up the rest of the bits. 

51079923682_000b953de9_b.jpg

not a heavy part count compared to the Hind.

Just before I finished for the day I decided to fit the tops of the wings. So tape off.

51079134378_4c1d3e3cd2_b.jpg

And in true Gulliver style wings clamped.

51010645575_db61bb2b92_b.jpg

I’d heard that I might have issues here alas nothing. There is a slight gap at the root but some PPP will sort that out. 
oohhhh more paint soon and those teeth. 🥰🦈

Take care Y’all.

Johnny

• Like 14

Looking every inch a Typhoon now, that cockpit is superb can't wait to see this in paint now.

Stay safe               Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/03/2021 at 23:18, opus999 said:

Lookin' like an aeroplane! :D 

You're making me want to get another!  Can't wait to see what you do with the paint... Model on!

Thanks! You know you want to. 

On 29/03/2021 at 08:00, giemme said:

Indeed! That was quick, Johnny! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Shh don’t let @CedB know. 😲

On 29/03/2021 at 08:18, Hamden said:

Looking every inch a Typhoon now, that cockpit is superb can't wait to see this in paint now.

Stay safe               Roger

Thanks. Tomorrow I think. 😛

On 29/03/2021 at 15:06, corsaircorp said:

buttoned up, winged !! Now you have a Typhoon in your hands !!

she look really good !!

Stay safe Sir !

CC

Thanks CC. Done before you know it. 

On 29/03/2021 at 16:45, Marklo said:

Looking good. Airfix seem to live thick gates the ones on my Skyhawk were huge.

I know right. Madness but realistically I can’t complain. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Evening guys. Super mini update on all fools day.

In the wings I’m gearing up for my next build , joining the 453 museum bunch while enjoying a little respite with this build that’s is simply falling together while I sit at the bench.
Work is hotting up as it always does this time of year so time has been scarce.

I have however got the tail parts on. 

51088472914_a46b8cddd2_b.jpg

no troubles there. 😍

I also sorted out the tiny step in the wing join. The canopy also got fitted. See. It just builds itself. Sorry @hendie

51088472904_dc88b63ff2_b.jpg

I started masking the office but decided to use my go to and use the canopy. I painted the inside part rubber black. (I don’t like just black ) and dabbed a dot of Gators grip on the front of the clear part. I’ll mask the rest up tomorrow and we’ll be ready for ze paint. 👨‍🎨

51088945953_578a55e438_b.jpg

Mmmmm shiny.

Right that’s yer lot.

Hope you’re all ready for some Bank holiday goodness. Sun and snow? 🤣🌞🌨 good old British weather.

Take care y’all.

Johnny.

• Like 10

Nearly missed this one Johnny, moving quick and she's looking great! Quick question, what's your go to technique for the 1/72 scratch belts? They look fantastic and I need to add some to my liberator soon. Cheers, enjoy the long weekend! Sam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff! I'm really enjoying watching you build this.

I know about the problems of the Typhoon - wing too thick, lack of high altitude performance, reliability issues with the early Sabres and of course the well known structural issues with the tail on the early ones. Still, what a truly magnificent beastie, eh?

I stumbled across this Canadian project the other day and thought others may be interested. They have some great youtube videos. Makes me wish I could build in 1:1!

https://www.typhoonlegacy.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2