A Song for CC. Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B 1/72

Hello and welcome to my new build. 
I’m dedicating this one to our dear @corsaircorp . Losing his cats recently made me think about when we thought we lost Zero a day or two ago.  luckily we found him hiding under a tarp in the garden. I was worried sick and only missing for half an hour so. 😩 I can’t imagine what CC is going through.  🙁 So I thought I’d build something to cheer Him up. What better than a shark mouth? 🤩🦈

So this little wonder I got it as a gift for Christmas came to mind.

So without further ado , fingers crossed for finding the feline wanderers and here’s something to make you smile dear CC. 

The Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

by Airfix in 1/72.

Shark mouth  🦈

Here’s the box.

51060197557_8bf66eb9cc_b.jpg

Ain’t she purdy. ❤️
and I had to share the inlay that had my subscription to AMW on it. 🤩

51059396448_c402ec13a0_b.jpg

She comes with four solid sprews that look really nice.

51060197072_25d12d3bfd_b.jpg 51060197847_80c557ec6c_b.jpg

And one super clear sprew.

51059390093_fd4945d416_b.jpg

Obvs I’ll be going for the top scheme.

51059390148_92daa5351a_b.jpg

Here are the decals. Everything about this screams fun so let’s start shall we.

weeeellll not quite yet.  

I’ll set this thread going, Update the Hind then post today’s progress on the typhoon. I hope you’ll join me for some relaxing model making.

All the best chums.

see y’all in a bit. 

Johnny.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I was really saddened to read about CC's cats: we'd be devastated if anything happened to our little Daisy, so I can only imagine what he's feeling.

This thread is a great idea, and I'll follow along if I may, Johnny, as I quite fancy doing one of these, too.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I was really saddened to read about CC's cats: we'd be devastated if anything happened to our little Daisy, so I can only imagine what he's feeling.

This thread is a great idea, and I'll follow along if I may, Johnny, as I quite fancy doing one of these, too.

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark. You’re more than welcome. 😀

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Great idea, Johnny - I sure hope this will cheer @corsaircorp up!  :thumbsup: Following... :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. I hope he likes it too. 😇

• Like 1

Oh my gosh. Well this is a little later than expected but here’s the rest of today’s work. 
The detail In this kit is brilliant. We start with the seat and IP. I have no PE for this and I’m planning an OOB build but I think I might stretch to scratch belts. 😍

51059396168_4eb835a0c2_b.jpg

Next up I clipped off the fuselage to test the fit. My work it’s amazing. 👌

51060191617_b5669facfa_b.jpg

A little seam work here and there but over all great.

51059396153_3ba47eef81_b.jpg

The internals got clipped off and tidied. I’ll do a dry fit as I’ve heard of tolerance issues with new Airfix kits. 

51060110876_6291e426f3_b.jpg

Looks like the lower part of the office is attached to the wheel Wells.

there was some flash here but it was easily fixed. 🤩

51059389948_5e2a1059bb_b.jpg

The detail in the wells on the other side is amazing.

51060197552_263bc56a3c_b.jpg

The lower wings and control surfaces got a tidy. I drilled the holes for bombs using the handy guide on the kit itself.

51060197577_b5e8eac008_b.jpg

You can have this kit with gun panels open or closed. I’m going closed for this build which is a bit of a pity as ( did I mention the detail? ) the detail is super.

51059389773_918f45e53e_b.jpg

Have a closer look. You can also see the drill guides with an “A” and “B” to make it even more clearer. 👏👏👏 Airfix.

51060116771_59c21a76b9_b.jpg

Gluing these in place I had a wobble that the fit of the upper wing would be bad. My fears were unfounded. You can also see the Bomb pod I added here.

51059389998_8bd1077d0e_b.jpg

And tother side.

51060116816_b4e3a9519a_b.jpg

Just before the end of play I got the prop and UC doors cleaned up.

51060197512_3b11e92d94_b.jpg

Everything has had a prime and by the power of Greyskull we’re ready for paint! 

That’s your lot for now. Need my beauty sleep. Another busy work week ahead.

All the best and thanks for tagging along.

Johnny. 🦈

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thanks a lot Dear Spad !!

A sharmouth is a great idea !!

And a Typhoon !!

What's not to love !!

I warmly thank you for the attention !!

My life is a bit shaky these last days...

Well honestly, I'm crossing a vicious tempest sitting in a dinghy...

But, I'll make it !! Whatever !

Thanks again Dear Spad !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

And a Typhoon !!

What's not to love !!

Sincerely.

CC

Hang in there CC, we're all pulling for you.

Great idea for a WIP thread @The Spadgent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks like a cracking little kit, certainly better than the old Typhoon I built for my sister many years ago!

Chin up CC!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One of Hawker's finest what's not to like, mind if I take a seat?

@corsaircorp as others have said hang in there and take rocket fuel! (I'm told it makes everything better)

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sad to hear about CC’s cats we lost two of our Cats and our Dog last year all very elderly but still deadly missed. We now officially have no pets, although the next door neighbours cat appears to have moved in :) 

The typhoon builds into a lovely model. I did one the year before last, the only caveat, the decals are very thick I painted the yellow wing markings, but used the decals for the invasion stripes, if I were doing another I’d definitely recommend painting  both.

2cfc9071-71f2-4dbd-8de8-bf83ec1ddf70.jpe

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi Spad,

That's a noble thing you're doing, well done, I'm following

All the best

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I will hang around for this one Johnny.

I built this kit a while back and the tolerances are quite tight, duck`s rear end tight.

The only real problem I had with her was fitting the U/C bay / Oil cooler bit, very tigh there.

But nowt you cannot handle.

Simon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 21/03/2021 at 23:37, corsaircorp said:

And a Typhoon !!

What's not to love !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Alain. I hope this lovely little shark mouth will bring you a little joy.  🤝

On 21/03/2021 at 23:42, mark.au said:

Hang in there CC, we're all pulling for you.

Great idea for a WIP thread @The Spadgent 

Indeed. And thanks. The very least I can do.

On 22/03/2021 at 05:34, Brandy said:

Looks like a cracking little kit, certainly better than the old Typhoon I built for my sister many years ago!

Chin up CC!

Ian

It is a lovely little thing.

On 22/03/2021 at 13:11, Hamden said:

One of Hawker's finest what's not to like, mind if I take a seat?

@corsaircorp as others have said hang in there and take rocket fuel! (I'm told it makes everything better)

Stay safe            Roger

Please pull up a pew. 😀

On 22/03/2021 at 14:16, Marklo said:

Sad to hear about CC’s cats we lost two of our Cats and our Dog last year all very elderly but still deadly missed. We now officially have no pets, although the next door neighbours cat appears to have moved in :) 

The typhoon builds into a lovely model. I did one the year before last, the only caveat, the decals are very thick I painted the yellow wing markings, but used the decals for the invasion stripes, if I were doing another I’d definitely recommend painting  both.

2cfc9071-71f2-4dbd-8de8-bf83ec1ddf70.jpe

Sorry to hear about your beloved pets.  But at least you have visiting furry friends. 😄 That Finished typhoon looks great! 

On 22/03/2021 at 17:35, Kitsticker said:

Hi Spad,

That's a noble thing you're doing, well done, I'm following

All the best

Geoff

Take a seat. Hope you enjoy.

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I think I will hang around for this one Johnny.

I built this kit a while back and the tolerances are quite tight, duck`s rear end tight.

The only real problem I had with her was fitting the U/C bay / Oil cooler bit, very tigh there.

But nowt you cannot handle.

Simon.

Nice to have you along Simon. Thanks for the heads up. 👍

• Like 3

Sure my Dear Spad !!

I also have a hobo... He showed up at the first lockdown

He stayed aloft at the beginning, then I think that hunger start to do its job...

He was skinny so we decided to feed him...

As he is grey and looked a bit of a warrior, my son Nicolas decided to name him Vladimir Iliitch...

But he is afraid to enter in the house and still is a bit wild....

So let me introduce you to Vlad the killer from St Petersburg...

IMG_20201120_120345

But he is more cautious since Lucky and Bakhti disappeared...

He is eating only if I stay beside him...

That's a luck for me, I can still take car of a cat... 

Thank you all for the kind words Gents...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

and still is a bit wild....

He has a look about him...... I just done an A10 in the Blacksnakes Ind. ANG style and he has a similar gaze.... 😶

One of my cats went missing for 10 days when I lived in Newlyn. Sauntered in casually smelling of fish and diesel.... She'd been aboard a trawler that went to sea. So we live in hope 🤞

That's a great looking little kit. I've done a couple of their new kits but not this one. I wonder if I can find a non-camo version 🤩

They have a new trick with some of these that may not be obvious in the instructions. The axles are square or rectangular and the wheel hubs to match. This is to align the flats on the tyres with the ground.... Don't mix them up, follow the numbers! How do I know that?? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great work Johnny, looking forward to how this turns out--yours will probably cross the line before mine does--this is moving fast!  If I were going to restart mine, I would recommend you look in the wheel bays for 2 ejector marks--I think some careful sanding would sort them out without damaging the kit detail too much--I do agree, the OOB detail is great!  Cant wait to see this move a long--you always do a smashing job. Best wishes for @corsaircorp --hang in there!  Best, Erwin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Johnny, thanks for the plug on my build--no worries brother. I learned a lot from you--remember the rocket trick🙌FWIW, I think your cockpit plan is spot on--the parts provided are awesome--if you dont mind, I am linking the research blog I started & a few other useful links--they have lots of great gouge on general cockpit colors, to cuckoo door or not, etc--be careful, the Typhoon will absorb you and soon you will need another--cant wait to see a bombed up shark!  Best, Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2021 at 21:51, Marklo said:

Trust me as far as he’s concerned he’s now our cat. He is however a very nice cat so we don’t mind.

Ahhh it’s nice to get some good news. 😀

23 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sure my Dear Spad !!

I also have a hobo... He showed up at the first lockdown

He stayed aloft at the beginning, then I think that hunger start to do its job...

He was skinny so we decided to feed him...

As he is grey and looked a bit of a warrior, my son Nicolas decided to name him Vladimir Iliitch...

But he is afraid to enter in the house and still is a bit wild....

So let me introduce you to Vlad the killer from St Petersburg...

IMG_20201120_120345

But he is more cautious since Lucky and Bakhti disappeared...

He is eating only if I stay beside him...

That's a luck for me, I can still take car of a cat... 

Thank you all for the kind words Gents...

Sincerely.

CC

Oh I remember Vlad 🧛🏻 Looks like a wise old beast. 😀

23 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

That's a great looking little kit. I've done a couple of their new kits but not this one. I wonder if I can find a non-camo version 🤩

They have a new trick with some of these that may not be obvious in the instructions. The axles are square or rectangular and the wheel hubs to match. This is to align the flats on the tyres with the ground.... Don't mix them up, follow the numbers! How do I know that?? 

Thanks for the heads up. 👍

21 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Great work Johnny, looking forward to how this turns out--yours will probably cross the line before mine does--this is moving fast!  If I were going to restart mine, I would recommend you look in the wheel bays for 2 ejector marks--I think some careful sanding would sort them out without damaging the kit detail too much--I do agree, the OOB detail is great!  Cant wait to see this move a long--you always do a smashing job. Best wishes for @corsaircorp --hang in there!  Best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin. Pin marks you say. 🤨

12 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, thanks for the plug on my build--no worries brother. I learned a lot from you--remember the rocket trick🙌FWIW, I think your cockpit plan is spot on--the parts provided are awesome--if you dont mind, I am linking the research blog I started & a few other useful links--they have lots of great gouge on general cockpit colors, to cuckoo door or not, etc--be careful, the Typhoon will absorb you and soon you will need another--cant wait to see a bombed up shark!  Best, Erwin

Coo. Thanks for all the research. I’m not sure I’m going to be too worried about accuracy with this one as I fancy a fun build but it’s all good stuff. Especially for my 1/24 kit. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey you lot. A Little update tonight. We have paint. 😍

The internal floor section got some colour after a pre shade.

51000519390_6f3ace3268_b.jpg

As did the wells. Underside.

51069702231_ec0b88fc12_b.jpg

And top/ cockpit floor.

51069798337_182f42c181_b.jpg

Even the bombs got a bit of a pre shade. 💣

51000519355_cba433f0a8_b.jpg

Having done this before reading Erwin’s link Im going with the sloshed green. 

51069001793_54cb955aed_b.jpg

Base coat on the seat too. I have some belts started too.

51069702216_2925111f6b_b.jpg

What was that? Pin marks ? Where.... hells bells.  I did see them but hoped no one would notice. 🤣

51069702236_424d53a9ec_b.jpg

So now you know, and I know, and you know I know, and I know that you know I know. I have done the deed.

51069001858_f037a7a19e_b.jpg

More soon i is pooped.

Thanks for dropping by. See ya’ll on tother side.

Johnny.🦈

• Like 14

This will be fun!  When I did this kit, it was one of the most enjoyable I'd done up to that point.  IIRC, the seam work was minor and the only difficulty I had was a step at the wing root on one side (that I elected not to fix. 😕 ).  Sharkmouths are so ubiquitous that I kind of pass them by, but I rather like the sharkmouth on this Typhoon!  I've often thought of getting this kit just for the dramatic sharkmouth. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1