Airfix Maserati Indy

I've had a cold this week so I've not got a lot done.

y4mj-k1AzcLiQncwHkiN1p3_7czUCTOEvPvMxCHw

The steering wheel has been painted and looks rather smart.

y4mMub9KKxv2M8aBNUua8xMRbUqXcpvWLs1eh5qc

Having replaced one column stalk the remaining original stalk looks far too thick and clunky.

y4mibgc8ScC_YBXaiFQdJKtVXJlAfYAvx2-CifqJ

You can't really see the stalks but the wheel and dash look OK.

y4mB1FmRHCo-gG-SHUB4rRqXQz3iJD-Lvstf8qa_

I managed to stick the wheel on the column upside down but it wasn't a disaster, I did reinforce the mounting for the steering column with a spare bit of sprue.

y4m_5ICIveOfRFsYfZaYmaIfxygCHt304v4LiQAG

Dry assembly, looks good, I think I'll cut out the side window so the interior is easier to see on the finished model.  You can't see whether there are pedals so I don't think it's worth trying to make some.  I still need to finish my interior door cards.

• Like 7

I had a day's holiday so I've made a little more progress on the Maserati.

y4mJmgbGxXs_Ty5lFVo-8HKC73qYevfZwyLz_Q9r

The other day I sprayed the door trims a mix of Tamiya matt and gloss brown.  

y4mlkNBx3PF9veECCSj8hGVJn87hum8jybmYM6yd

Trial fitting showed the need for some trimming.

y4m5RJvowDt3pouQyZVLKqeXi_Qn6mdXQpa-ovRq

I've attacked the body with Bare Metal Foil.  It went better this time than it has on previous builds.

y4mt2vNUV3zLVsgPrHZxDx8ZJhDFaTtvmJ10DR-8

I've scratched a pair of windscreen wipers out of nickel silver wire.

y4mGXoO4YGom6-6U41FTvjBePsYKnC-6F1Uec8Zr

I've put some brown paint on the door pillars to match the door trims when they are installed.

y4mPdvTDdw2EA93-EDrufUsLCqtI8s_AZCwFgi8_

Drilling holes for the wipers, one down.

y4m6f8AhvoAmRtKoEM8XimMHKcK8-Tl8MwK80Pkf

Second hole and wipers trial fitted.  The Windscreen is held in with UV-setting resin.

y4mhXY-3eF0TdIHmPvSU1hntQTgYIxRVtYdn45dm

Side windows.

y4movIJRbVrHDHs80lcARpRmrFfOxumyyw_CntE-

Cutting out the side window to better show the interior when the model is assembled.

y4mlIej1OwGeq7UdqmcUeyOZ-zDBWp5EhOvSoNzq

Windows and dashboard installed.  A piece of styrene has helped hold the dashboard in place, I don't want to risk even thin solvent cement leaking through to the windscreen.

y4m6MGOqTt5t4qm5PtKUj2APIe_8Dp-hvxzNzk17

Door trims cut down to sit inside the sides of the body.  On the basis of past experience I'm not sure it's worth trying to paint the inside of the roof.

I didn't have enough power in my phone but the body is now glued together, so this one is near the end of the road.

• Like 8

BMF work looks good, and based on that I think I could really do with some for the Jag bumpers.

Only one problem, where has it all gone??? It feels as though there's a national shortage of BMF chrome - every search I've done shows it as out of stock and/or tries to sell me the black chrome :(

I had similar problems trying to get some last year, finally found some on ebay, then when I first tried using it found it was one of the sheets that has naff adhesive so it won't stick to anything.... 

Keith

Thanks for the comments.  Here's a bit more work on the Maserati.

y4mDdzvFQpx9rkOqgMwmNpyYl69_o9mHwUbXhYrq

A quick mock-up with bumpers.  The bumpers are painted with Molotow chrome as I'm not sure it I could get BMF to wrap around the bumpers without wrinkling.

y4mX8J8PvTuAhiPHnWj4J2b5UIkCmiWFIMnp5Orl

Front 3/4 view, the wheel centres aren't glued in yet.

y4mTUl_5lGm0mlGDALtu1XQkdIR6i_2WN4ASWaYZ

Rear 3/4.  If I were doing this again I'd replace the side windows with something thinner.

y4mwx5spO05zbCCc5uQLMkfeyUTH_ES4ewHAtAIg

Tail lamps have three parts, although there isn't much distinction in the moulding.  The inner part is clear for the reversing lamp.  the centre is red for tail, brake and reflector, the outer indicator is orange.  I've masked up by eye and I hope the proportions are about right.

y4mWTcpZqTvyXNeeH2hETsryy2OOZjSOKnlvZZZ-

Exhaust tail pipes are fitted.  These are some of the best mouldings I've seen; they give a good impression of being pipes.  I painted them matt black then went round the rim and outside with chrome pen.  For anyone attempting this kit in the future, I'd install these from behind before fixing the lower part of the body instead of following the instructions and fitting them from the outside.  The part looks like it should locate into a blind hole but actually you can push them right through the holes in the rear valance, I just feel lucky that I managed to not lose one inside the body.  You can also see that I've put some chrome on what I think are the rear fog lamps,  These will get a coat of clear red in a day or two.

y4mhicwvC_Ls44d5x7AyCLl5mqMHx0G5VziG4zvW

I've also put a drop of chrome on the front indicator repeaters, ready for a tiny drop of clear orange.

And that's about it for tonight.

• Like 7

Moving this forward, one piece at a time.

y4msVBO-2iOneViFNE46tGoFAYcw0jceY7v7SsGM

BMF applied to the sill to replicate the bright trim.

y4mMS60Jl5u4yug70d85lx6-Mnq1aU6Il4gGAdtx

Quarterlight frames are also foiled.  It doesn't really show but the indicator repeaters have a dot of clear orange.

y4me1qY2vatmD4CAlO7n9RgV-dNXJtBoZWvVY9IA

Tail lamps painted and edges foiled.  That was a tricky job, thank goodness for a sharp blade.

y4mQWq1bOk4xObvsc5CpaVt78WTkVqHJ2Q90abBZ

They don't look too bad now they're in place.

• Like 4

I think this one might be done.

y4mGQ-m-fxZPXEuhdCg9SG0m6KnCYu87bWmGMnXx

Bumpers added, they're a bit tricky to secure so that they sit level.

y4mTsLWd8uGed4F31ma6llNhLsMJtr0ojpbha0V-

Front number plate went on well, the lenses for the front indicators/side lights are secured with more UV-setting resin.  Some cars seem to have orange lenses and some are clear, so I've taken the lazy option.

y4me1int-F0cjh_2BUdzkKM1XVyPKAHKFVDayzDC

Only after I took this photo did I notice that I'd dislodged the chrome trim around the window.

y4mfrhn9Lf4ikgpyJKWZjn_MttYWMd9EOOP2u-u0

Rear bumper also takes a bit of effort to sit level.

y4m0_JoZKhvNUwVAqykBW9oNGfZCjUajC03iOU7k

I'm pleased with the interior, pity about the window trim but it was definitely the right thing to cut away the side window.

y4mIhbFFeKkwjTCshf7it1oPXSedT1Inwx2grB55

You can just about tell the boot floor is carpeted.

y4m10JMs2fJSQQ3jUalTI2F58NABIrZlR0hmsI-g

Underside looks pretty smart.

y4mlI2hwI4dPgYSbB3LC2vQE1Moypw6sOYp6psbW

Tried fixing the trim, it might need another go.  I'm pleased with the wipers too.

• Like 13

Thanks everyone.  I've added a little wash to some of the grilles and I'm waiting for some decent light to take the final pictures for a RFI thread.

• Like 1