Fairey Gannet AEW.Mk.3

• 1 month later...

Having finished three GB entires in the last couple of weeks (1 ANZAC, 2 Anything but injection) and started decaling on another 2 entries (1 A-4, 1 Anything but Injection) I thought it was time to start another one. Must be mad.Made a start by paint the internals.

spacer.png

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I love a Gannet, nothing to do with my eating habits, it's just I'm a sucker for contra-props... who there's a GB proposal for someone!

I think Gannet is an acquired taste - Guga to the locals, and apparently it's like a mixture of oily, mackerel and chicken - I think I'll give it a miss. 🤢

Nice work on the innards as well. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree I do love a quirky subject..

Rear cockpit assembled.

spacer.png

Bodge a jig to hold the fuselage halves together whist joing them.

spacer.png 

And finally wings added, being to come together.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Looking rather better than my vacform (Aeroclub?) fuselage conversion with wings etc from the old Frog Gannet kit!

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Made a bit of progress, primed and ready for paint.

Made a decision on the decal option, was going with HMS Ark Royal, but now going with an aircraft from HMS Eagle., because i just discovered my grandfather served on the previous HMS Eagle,

spacer.png

• Like 3

Quick update, the Gannet has visited the paint shop and now looks the part in EDSG over Sky.

spacer.png

Next step is to give it a gloss coat in preparation for decaling, and to paint & assemble the prop.

• Like 9

Made good progress over the last week. Assemble the propeller using the supplied jig.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was only at this point, I spotted my mistake, I had got the colours on the spinner the wrong way round, should be blue with white stripes. Doh!

Repainted blue and used strips of white decal. Blue decal strip would also be used to replicate the stripping on the tail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I left the drop tanks off, as they fouled the undercarriage doors when fitted. SO now calling this finished.

spacer.png

A thoroughly enjoyable group build. Saw me complete 4 resin kits witch I am guessing would have sat in the stash without this prompt. 

Thanks.

• Like 6