HERMES/VIRAAT SHARS - first and last

This project still has a little way to go, but March 2021 marks 40 years since I joined HMS HERMES as a wide eyed Midshipman.  Sadly, 2021 also sees the end of her, as the INS VIRAAT is dismantled at Gujarat Ship Breakers.  

I've alread posted pictures of my HERMES Wessex V, now its the SHAR's turn with this pair representing the arrival of her first Sea Harriers in 1981, and the departure of her last Sea Harriers in 2016.

DSC_5984-998.jpg

DSC_5989.JPG

This first aircraft is FRS.1 XZ450 of 800 Sqn and is the ESCI kit with Sky (and other) decals and ladder from a Hasegawa kit, plus a Pavla seat.

It was one of the first operational aircraft to land on the ship, an event that I remember well.  Sadly this is also the aircraft in which Lt Nick Taylor RN was shot down by anti aircraft fire and killed on 4th May 1982, whilst attacking Goose Green airstrip.

DSC_5977.JPG

DSC_5973.JPG

DSC_5976.JPG

DSC_5979.JPG

DSC_5983.JPG

The second aircraft is FRS.51 LUSH IN617 of 300 Indian Naval Air Sqn "White Tigers", based onboard INS VIRAAT (or Giant) in 2016 for her decommissioning ceremony. This was a LUSH upgraded aircraft with Elbit radar and capable of carrying Rafael Derby missiles as well as MBDA Magic. It is the Fujimi kit, with a mix of Italeri kit and home made decals and scratch built Derby missiles.

DSC_5997.JPG

DSC_5992.JPG

DSC_6001.JPG

DSC_5995.JPG

DSC_5993.JPG

To complete the project, I have an 814 Sea King HAS.1 currently on the stocks, ready to join my other HERMES SHAR, plus the Wessex, Buccaneer and Scimitar that I have already built. Depending on progress, a few more Wessexes and a Sea Vixen may yet join them, but, so many models to build, so little time! :)

DSC_5990-998.jpg

Edited by gengriz
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Sprog! :giggle: HMS Hermes when still a flat-top 1974 on our arrival at Malta.

spacer.png

Lovely SHAR builds there and very nostalgic, they take me back to my time at Yeovilton.

MIke

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

You will be happy to know that my 814 Sea King will be in 1974 markings, also from the Cyprus evacuation timescale like the Wessex (ie with a big Union Flag). 

I have cobbled together a set of markings for XV712 / (2)73

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
  • Thanks 1

Lovely pair of SHAR's.  The RN is a beauty in that classic scheme.  I need to build one of them myself some day.

This Booty was only 1 when the old sweat @bootneck was kicking around in '74.....!!!  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Sprog! :giggle: HMS Hermes when still a flat-top 1974 on our arrival at Malta.

spacer.png

Lovely SHAR builds there and very nostalgic, they take me back to my time at Yeovilton.

MIke

Flat top without catapults etc ....just saying ....not sure how a catpulted Wessex V would fly 🤔 

• Haha 1

Quickest way to fold the blades!

Catapults had gone by then, along with the Tot. :weep:  I was in when they were needing us, not just feeding us! :wicked:

Mike

Very nice Fred,.... two great models,...... the 800 NAS one wears the best SHAR scheme in my opinion,..... but I have quite fancied modelling the low viz Indian aircraft as I like the look of those too.  It i a nice tribute to Nick Taylor and of course the old Hermes,..... such a shae she couldn`t be saved. 

Cheers

Tony

• 6 months later...

What colours did you use for the Indian Navy aircraft as i am building one from the Kinetic FRS1 kit at the moment and wish to do the same scheme thanks 

Simon