Fairey Seafox, HMS Arethusa, 1938

Good day all,

Today I have for your inspection another Matchbox classic. This time, it is the Fairey Seafox, a catapult-launched gunnery spotting and reconnaissance aircraft from the mid 1930's. Like most Matchbox kits, it probably could have built itself if I had shaken the box enough.

-   The included decals were only halfway useable, with much of the 'protective' wax paper being firmly stuck to them. To this end, roundels were replaced with some from the spares, though the ones on the fuselage sides have an inccaurate white outer ring. In short, they are what I had, and they look good enough to me.

-   The rear MG, largely invisible, was replaced with a spare from the Matchbox Stranraer that I am still (slowly) plugging away at. Small amounts of framing were added to the interior, as well as a new floor and seats.

-    If I were to do the kit again, I think I would try to build one of the 2 land-based Seafoxes, scratch a better oil cooler, and open up the engine cowling to expose a scratched H-block engine. Perhaps sometime in the future.

Right then, the photos. 

Fairey Seafox Fairey Seafox

Up next is another Gladiator, this time the Heller kit in Chinese markings. Following that will be the completion of the Nakajima JSSF, another Hawker Fury (AModel) and possibly a Blackburn Shark if my second attempt at the kit doesn't end up in the wastebin like the first did.

Thanks for checking in everyone,

Stay Safe,

Tweener

• Like 22

6 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Clean build @Tweener 👍

3 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

Very nice indeed.

Many thanks you three!

6 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Matchbox certainly produced some unusual kits in their time and you have done a really smart job on this one, good job!

I'm definitely grateful for some of the kits they produced - not only are they some of the most fun kits I have done, but the subject matters are always fun and the box art even better!

5 hours ago, John Masters said:

Ship shape all the way.  Save your next Matchbox for the Big Matchbox GB next year!

I have a few more Matchbox kits I still plan to build - namely the Swordfish and the Beaufighter. In the case of the Beau, I will likely add the Airwaves etch set for some practice with that material. I'll have to try and hold off until the GB begins!