Republic P-43 Lancer, `In China Skies`, 1943

Hi Everyone, thought I`d share some pic`s of my latest effort with you

k44uYc4.jpg

My attempt at Dora Wings 1/48 P-43 Lancer Kit

zqC4t0t.jpg

Built from their `In China Skies` boxing and in Republic of China markings ( no surprise 🙂 )

OGsbinO.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of 21st FS/4th FG, En-shih, late 1943.

Faj2bUE.jpg

Mostly from the box contents: replaced the engine push rods with individual bits of wire as I managed to wreck the kit ones cutting them off the sprue.

XDPwadZ.jpg

Additions were; ignition harness, canopy rails and brake pipes from bits of wire 

Oisvldq.jpg

Replaced the gun barrels with metal tube and decals are the kits.

7GEjXpe.jpg

Wasn`t a fan of the etched metal cowling flaps which took me a few attempts to get looking neat(ish)

bnJyC57.jpg

Glad to have one in the collection at last though.

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 56

Very nice! It's good to see these less common aircraft types being tackled in different scales by the model companies. Think I am going to have to try one of these kits.

Thanks for sharing this with everyone. Truly inspiring.

Todder

• Thanks 1

Russ,

That is an exceptional model! If it weren't for the fully inflated tires, your photos could easily pass for the real thing. The very best example of weathered OD I have seen in a long time- what paint did you use for the upper and lower colors? From all accounts, this is an exceptional kit. Hope we get one as good in 1/72 scale someday. :like: :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Russ, as usual an exceptional finish and perfect build.  I am in the early stages of my P-43 and cannot make heads or tails of the engine mounts construction. I thought I had the right idea but have failed twice, ripping it up. What can be seen from the cowl flaps?  Thinking of skipping the step.   I guess I would opt to keep them fairly closed!! Anyway the plane is brilliant and reflects your high craftsmanship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Russ,

That is an exceptional model! If it weren't for the fully inflated tires, your photos could easily pass for the real thing. The very best example of weathered OD I have seen in a long time- what paint did you use for the upper and lower colors? From all accounts, this is an exceptional kit. Hope we get one as good in 1/72 scale someday. :like: :worthy:

Mike

Thanks Mike, it`s Humbrol Olive Drab 155, weathered with Olive Drab 66, Slate Grey 31 and Grey 140. The underside is Humbrol 140 which I always use to represent Neutral Grey.

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 2

Looks beautful, Russ!

This plane truly is the "Missing Link" between the Seversky P-35s series and the P-47Bs which came after.

The plane seems to sit rather high on its main gear; With the fairly short fuselage i wonder if it had a tendency to ground loop....

-d-

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Russ, as usual an exceptional finish and perfect build.  I am in the early stages of my P-43 and cannot make heads or tails of the engine mounts construction. I thought I had the right idea but have failed twice, ripping it up. What can be seen from the cowl flaps?  Thinking of skipping the step.   I guess I would opt to keep them fairly closed!! Anyway the plane is brilliant and reflects your high craftsmanship. 

Thanks DJ, you don`t need to use the engine mounts as the engine locates in the cowling. You can`t see them unless, I suppose, you have the cowl flaps fully open. I did assemble mine but didn`t attach the engine to them anyway.

Good luck with yours, look forward to seeing it.

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

Outstanding Russ, and the usual perfect setting. I envy you that yours is complete. Mine still lingers in the stash but I already know what it should be... Hopefully as great as yours!

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

Lovely job Russ,.... I`m waiting for the RAAF boxing.

It looks like the baby offspring of a marriage between a P-47 & P-36!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1