A Coastal Command Liberator GR VI and my dad

23 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed and a great family back story,.... you must be very proud of him.

For info,.... EW310 and other GR.VI`s...... EV879, EV880, EV886, EV888, EV890, EV896, EV943, EV948, EV986/EV988, EV992, EV995, EV997, EV998, EW100, EW290, EW297, went on to be converted post war into C.VI`s by Lockheed at Speke,.... which usually meant stripping it out and fitting rudimentary seating, they usually retained whatever scheme they were already finished in, adding serials under the wings and a fairing over the nose and tail turret openings,.....also removing the mid upper too.

EW310 went to 86 Sqn but when taking off from Oakington bound for Lubeck on 20.12.45 it failed to take off and crashed.... flown by Wing Commander Fleetwood. 

Before joining 206 Sqn it had served as XB-R with 224 Sqn between 29.7.44- 29.12.44.  

Thank you - and thanks for all the background info. Great stuff.

And of course I have to ask: is that Wing Commander Fleetwood the same chap as the Sqn Leader J.J.K. Fleetwood who flew the first Liberator operational flight for 206 sqn and who was later father to Michael (that well known drummer with his own band) ?? 

7 hours ago, IanC said:

I like the chap polishing the Leigh light - reminds me of the well-known official photo. 

Thanks. Yes - that photo gave me the idea. It's an official RAF phot from the IWM so I'm fairly sure it's ok to reproduce here:

ZYkpXqIm.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Thanks. Yes - that photo gave me the idea. It's an official RAF phot from the IWM so I'm fairly sure it's ok to reproduce here:

ZYkpXqIm.jpg

Yes, that's the one. And it's fine to reproduce.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

It's an official RAF phot from the IWM so I'm fairly sure it's ok to reproduce here:

I sure hope so! I've probably posted a few hundred of their photos here over the last few years. I always make sure that the IWM logo is visible on the bottom right of each image.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I sure hope so! I've probably posted a few hundred of their photos here over the last few years. I always make sure that the IWM logo is visible on the bottom right of each image.

Chris

I got it from Wikipedia - maybe that's why there's no logo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Light

3 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

I got it from Wikipedia - maybe that's why there's no logo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Light

This one:

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs

Weird! I copied this from the IWM site, but it doesn't have the IWM logo on the bottom. I do know that the IWM have changed how you can copy their photos. I used to be able to click on the DOWNLOAD box and the photo would open on another page. I would then copy the image code from the bar above the image and post that in the reply box. The image would then appear. But it doesn't work that way now, dang it!

Chris

She looks fantastic Mark, its a great story as well. and you're part in it resonates with me as I was never able to ask the questions in person either as my Grandfather died before I was born.

I'm eternally grateful for the help you and the other members gave me on my post as the resarch ive been able to do as a result has been increadable. I cant wait to get stuck into my kit now that its here and I only hope I can do it justice, seeing yours gives me something to aim for, if its half as good I'll be happy! (I'm definately doing a few more kits before then as practise 🤣)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ravnos said:

She looks fantastic Mark, its a great story as well. and you're part in it resonates with me as I was never able to ask the questions in person either as my Grandfather died before I was born.

I'm eternally grateful for the help you and the other members gave me on my post as the resarch ive been able to do as a result has been increadable. I cant wait to get stuck into my kit now that its here and I only hope I can do it justice, seeing yours gives me something to aim for, if its half as good I'll be happy! (I'm definately doing a few more kits before then as practise 🤣)

Thanks. Glad I could have helped. It's somehow comforting to know that your Grandfather and my Dad were at Leuchars at the same time. 

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

That's a really nice model of 'Uncle' Jack Frost's Liberator. Skipper Marshall John Frost was, perhaps inevitably, known as 'Jack' Frost, and as my Dad's wartime skipper and my godfather, he was always 'Uncle Jack' to me. 

And you may be interested to know that Jack is still with us, living with his Finnish wife in Shaftesbury in Dorset. 

Most of the rest of the crew have gone, of course. Ken Conway died at the port beam gun of EW288 in November 1944, replaced by your Dad. My Dad (Group Captain Eric Lake) died in 2009. Frank 'Ace' Harris died soon after that. Navigator Jack Webb died before my Dad, and I don't know what happened to 'Shorty' Seymour, Merv Golland (who downed one of the attacking Bf110s) or 'Scotty'.

Amputee Nick Nicholson (the grandfather of the crew) was still with us fairly recently - a Kiwi immigrant to Canada and a snowbird who wintered in Phoenix every year. I have lost touch with him, and with Don Knight, who was alive and well in Rushden, Northants, last time I heard.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jon Lake said:

That's a really nice model of 'Uncle' Jack Frost's Liberator. Skipper Marshall John Frost was, perhaps inevitably, known as 'Jack' Frost, and as my Dad's wartime skipper and my godfather, he was always 'Uncle Jack' to me. 

And you may be interested to know that Jack is still with us, living with his Finnish wife in Shaftesbury in Dorset. 

Most of the rest of the crew have gone, of course. Ken Conway died at the port beam gun of EW288 in November 1944, replaced by your Dad. My Dad (Group Captain Eric Lake) died in 2009. Frank 'Ace' Harris died soon after that. Navigator Jack Webb died before my Dad, and I don't know what happened to 'Shorty' Seymour, Merv Golland (who downed one of the attacking Bf110s) or 'Scotty'.

Amputee Nick Nicholson (the grandfather of the crew) was still with us fairly recently - a Kiwi immigrant to Canada and a snowbird who wintered in Phoenix every year. I have lost touch with him, and with Don Knight, who was alive and well in Rushden, Northants, last time I heard.

I'm just a little bit lost for words. I've just double (and triple) checked the Operations Record Book and your dad was on that flight along with my dad. That is just wonderful to know.

I must also confess to having looked up your dad in Peter Gunn's book (do you have a copy?). A photo of the crew of EW288 (alongside one of the damaged tail) and I rather like the one of them standing in front of the Sphinx. You must be very proud of your dad and of your godfather.

Thank you ever so much for posting this - I really appreciate it.

all the best

Mark

• Like 1

It's good to 'meet' you, as it were.

I do have Gunn's book, and Jimmy Glazebrook's, too.

I was also lucky enough to hear all the recollections - so I can tell you about the day they captured a U-Boat, or the time they ran into nine Ju-88s stooging along towards them, and which ignored them (perhaps thinking they were a KG200 B-24?). I can tell you why they called Frank Harris 'Ace', etc.

I can't tell you about their U-Boat kill (my Dad wasn't on that trip)...... 

We really must have a beer sometime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll always love a model with this sort of meaning behind it - I myself am trying to track down the service history of my Great-Grandfather, a bombardier in the USAAF who flew dozens of missions over the Southwest Pacific. I have a collection of arming pins with tags attached detailing a number of his missions, but I can't seem to piece together anything else. I would have to assume he also flew in B-24's, or possibly in B-29s operating from Southern China considering the targets noted. If I do find out he hitched a ride in a Liberator, hopefully I can make one look as nice as yours does.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jon Lake said:

It's good to 'meet' you, as it were.

I do have Gunn's book, and Jimmy Glazebrook's, too.

I was also lucky enough to hear all the recollections - so I can tell you about the day they captured a U-Boat, or the time they ran into nine Ju-88s stooging along towards them, and which ignored them (perhaps thinking they were a KG200 B-24?). I can tell you why they called Frank Harris 'Ace', etc.

I can't tell you about their U-Boat kill (my Dad wasn't on that trip)...... 

We really must have a beer sometime.

I'd love to hear those stories and a beer definitely sounds like a plan. I'll send a message with my email address.

Mark

• Like 1

Lovely model and the tribute to your Dad and his service is very moving. I can't resist a Liberator! 

Thanks for sharing this!

i did a similar tribute build to my uncle who flew Tempests in Early 1945. I did similar research in the Natoinal Archives from his squadrons ORBs. These documents are fantastic and I never tire of reading them. Adds another dimension to what we do as modellers.

Well Done and I'm sure your Dad would have loved what you've done

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 16:35, Mark Harmsworth said:

Thanks. Yes - that photo gave me the idea. It's an official RAF phot from the IWM

Put that ' Erk on a charge for being improperly dressed ! His RAF forage cap being at an impossibly jaunty angle! 😂🤣😂

• Like 1