A Coastal Command Liberator GR VI and my dad

Beautiful model and a wonderful tribute to your Dad and the rest of his crew. Liberators could take just as much punishment as Flying Fortresses, as evidenced by the action report. Wait until @tonyot sees this one- he has a soft spot for Liberators! Well done. It's amazing what can still be found regarding official records, even after 80 years! One of the neatest things about our  hobby is researching and preserving what those young men and women did through our models. :poppy:

Mike

• Like 7

Great work, Mark, and a moving tribute to your father.

I'm currently trying to gather the required parts for a 1:35 M15 CGMC build to honor my grandfather who drove them during his time in the US Army. I never got to talk to him about his experiences during the war, but, I at least, feel we can connect to them in a way by reconstructing the vehicles they served in.

• Like 3

Very nice indeed and a great family back story,.... you must be very proud of him.

For info,.... EW310 and other GR.VI`s...... EV879, EV880, EV886, EV888, EV890, EV896, EV943, EV948, EV986/EV988, EV992, EV995, EV997, EV998, EW100, EW290, EW297, went on to be converted post war into C.VI`s by Lockheed at Speke,.... which usually meant stripping it out and fitting rudimentary seating, they usually retained whatever scheme they were already finished in, adding serials under the wings and a fairing over the nose and tail turret openings,.....also removing the mid upper too.

EW310 went to 86 Sqn but when taking off from Oakington bound for Lubeck on 20.12.45 it failed to take off and crashed.... flown by Wing Commander Fleetwood. 

Before joining 206 Sqn it had served as XB-R with 224 Sqn between 29.7.44- 29.12.44.  

• Like 4

really great build and lovely story. A real shame you never got chance to ask those questions at the time but that, I think, is common to a lot of us.  There aren't many people lucky enough to have a backstory like that (my dad was in 298 squadron - rear gunner on halifax Mk 9's) and the chance to chat to those WW2 hero's is nearly lost unfortunately.  

Your build has inspired me - I have the 1/32 liberator and have been wondering about colour schemes and markings.  Looking at how good yours is I think I've found the answer !

• Like 3

A fantastic model and obviously a great bit of history.  The story of anti-U-boat operations in the Baltic and off Norway, long after the Battle of the Atlantic was won, is less well known.    

I like the chap polishing the Leigh light - reminds me of the well-known official photo. 

• Like 1

A beautiful model and fantastic tribute to a real war hero - made even more poignant the (very) personal connection. 

The CC scheme suits the Lib so well - it takes on a whole new majesty in white/grey - gorgeous!

Tom 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Beautiful model and a wonderful tribute to your Dad and the rest of his crew. Liberators could take just as much punishment as Flying Fortresses, as evidenced by the action report. Wait until @tonyot sees this one- he has a soft spot for Liberators! Well done. It's amazing what can still be found regarding official records, even after 80 years! One of the neatest things about our  hobby is researching and preserving what those young men and women did through our models. :poppy:

Mike

I agree 100%.

• Like 1